PDA

View Full Version : Flying Gloves-naff or not?

modelman
21st Aug 2006, 20:21
I find my hands get a bit sweaty and combined with well worn yokes,it all feels a bit unpleasant by the end of a flight.
I got a flight in a Tiger Moth and was kitted with RAF light blue chamois gloves-very nice to wear.
Would it be considered a bit naff for GA to wear these type ( or any) gloves?
After the great fun everyone has had with the epaulettes thread, I hope I am not going down a similar road!

Modelman

Whirlygig
21st Aug 2006, 20:33
Nope! I wear them 'cos I can also get sweaty little mitts. I use riding gloves in the winter and golfing gloves in the summer - the "RAF" white leather ones in the various aviation catalogues are too pricey plus, in my case, too big!

Cheers

Whirls

maxdrypower
21st Aug 2006, 20:39
Tis true that hands do get a bit slippy on the control column and yes gloves do help . I personally wear the old white leather gloves I was issued in the raf . They do help and if they are personally comfortable for you then wear them , . There are arguments for and against all manner of flying clothing but you should not worry about what other people think and wear what you want . I have stated before on this forum I had a friend very badly burnt on his legs during a fire in a pa28 , had he been wearing a flying suit and gloves , who knows the severity of these injuries might have been lessened . The armed forces , police units and other aerial agencies throughout the world dont just wear this stuff for a laugh or too make you look like goose and mav its there to protect when you end up down feaces creek with no method of propulsion . The only down side is the cost of these things luckily mine are issued but you wear them if its helps

Final 3 Greens
21st Aug 2006, 21:27
I'm on my second set of RAF gloves (bought myself)

Like others I suffer from sweaty hands and when the stick slipped out of my hands on short final, that was enough to convince me to wear gloves.

A side benefit is they protect your fingers during the walkaround.

No epaulettes are anothe matter entirely:=

Pitts2112
21st Aug 2006, 21:49
I think as long as you're not wearing Italian racing gloves with holes in the backs then you'll be alright. :)

I wear nomex/leather gloves like those issued to USAF crews. Good for grip, keeping hands warm in very drafty cockpit, and fire is one of the only things in flying that scares me. In winter I bulk up to much thicker cold-weather gloves which, unfortunately, aren't fire retardent but you can't have everything. I had a pair of the leather RAF gloves you're talking about and thought they were pretty good.

'Course, you could always paint epaulette stripes on the backs of the gloves if you wanted to...;)

Pitts2112

scooter boy
21st Aug 2006, 21:59
Having mercilessly taken the piss out of my helicopter instructor for wearing gloves I later invested in a pair of RAF leather gloves and now feel undressed without them.
I take them off to fly though!;)

Flash0710
21st Aug 2006, 23:03
Gloves are the solution to. " What do i do with my spare pennies?"

In each finger a well placed penny can cause much discomfort when our hero puts them on.

Maybe it's the child in me.....:E

f.

AerBabe
22nd Aug 2006, 08:20
I can get RAF issue flying gloves for free ... but they never have a small enough size for me. However, Dents make various colour kid leather gloves with a silk lining.

pulse1
22nd Aug 2006, 08:32
I managed to get a brand new pair of RAF gloves back in the early 70's when they were considered to be a real status symbol. I then had to give up flying for family reasons so, when I took it up again, I had this new pair of gloves. Although I carry them in my flight bag I have only worn them once, to do the preflight inspection on a very cold day.

As I never wear gloves at any other time, I think it is bit naff to wear them to fly a PA28 unless you need them to keep warm. Now, if I was ever lucky enough to get back to flying Tigers, I would wear them all the time, although they would quickly get so dirty they would become useless.

bingoboy
22nd Aug 2006, 10:21
safety and good sense may sometimes look naff but seldom are in practice

Farrell
22nd Aug 2006, 11:13
In each finger a well placed penny can cause much discomfort when our hero puts them on.
f.

I used to think that that's what the slot in my Y-fronts was for......imagine the "cockpit" discomfort I have had in the past! :eek:

airborne_artist
22nd Aug 2006, 11:19
Gloves can also be used to indicate to the wearer which is his/her left and right hands.

Don't laugh - I know of a QFI who got out his pen to ensure that his stude had the information "on hand" :E

Whirlygig
22nd Aug 2006, 11:21
That's why I have red shoelaces on the left shoe and green on the right! A bit like your personal title Airborne!!

Cheers

Whirls

Gloves can also be used to indicate to the wearer which is his/her left and right hands.

Don't laugh - I know of a QFI who got out his pen to ensure that his stude had the information "on hand" :E

Cusco
22nd Aug 2006, 14:21
I always wear my ex-RAF gloves when flying along with long nonsynthetic shirtsleeves.

In a fire this just may allow you extre time to get on the ground before your tendons/fingers burn through.

But I take the gloves off and leave them in the aeroplane when visiting airfields to spare myself the derision from the ignorami.

Safe and non-flammable flying.

Cusco

ormus55
22nd Aug 2006, 15:17
i still think nomex y-fronts are more important than gloves or epaulettes.
:ok:

TheOddOne
22nd Aug 2006, 18:52
It was suggested to me that I wear gloves when I was doing my IMC rating many years ago, to get over the slippy hands on the control column syndrome and I've worn them ever since. However, I've recently taken up flying from the right seat in a PA28 and I've decided not to wear the gloves, so as not to distract the person sitting in the left seat. Hopefully I won't be getting all sweaty in the palms so much (then again...)

They are a tremendously good idea, go for it if you feel at all inclined!
Cheers,
TheOddOne

aluminium persuader
22nd Aug 2006, 20:53
Robinson Helos have just published a Service Bulletin recommending ALL pilots of ALL light a/c wear nomex flying suits & flying gloves because following accidents too many people are getting serious burns who need not have , and too many people are getting burned to death who could have escaped with serious burns.