PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Cessna 337

pistongone
21st Aug 2006, 09:27
Has anyone on here got one or experience of one of these inline twins? I have seen one on the net with low hours engines(540 each) and low airframe hrs(2000). Seems like a lot of plane for your money $70000-. Reasonable avionics fit, and upgrade available at cost price. Then the question of keeping it "N" Reg or putting it on the "G" reg? Thoughts Gentlemen please!

Kiltie
21st Aug 2006, 10:05
Noise! I recall they were banned from Elstree and some other places because of the prop resonance. The rear engines overheat easily if mishandled. A twin rating conducted on a 336/337 will not be valid for more conventional asymmetric twins.

gcolyer
21st Aug 2006, 12:23
I personaly think they are quality bits of kit. But they are noisey and do generate complaints at some airfields or private strips.

Might I add (and open myself up to flaming) if you are worried about noise the AC will quiest happily fly on 1 engine. If i fly at unsocialble hours I cut the rear engine for approach (just need to make a go around decision early! and it will go around on 1 if you dont want to climb fast). Although i would not recommend it to anyone. Plus it is good practice for when you really loose an engine.

You dont have to worry about asysmetric (or however it is spelt) thrust. It has fairly good STOL abilities and it can lift a fair bit of weight. Unless you get a belly container thingmjig there is not much storage inside if you have a full load of pax.

There is plenty of room upfront, th epanel is quiet large so if you are short you might want a cushion to sit on.

pistongone
21st Aug 2006, 13:22
Do you fly one at present gcolyer? The noise issue is one i am aware of, but i was told if you use 2500rpm for take of then its no more noise than any other aircraft. The reason they are louder is due to the engines reving at 2750rpm and the prop blades going supersonic? I hope someone will correct me if i am mistaken. Taking this into account, they can still get off in under 600m, so most strips i use would be ok! Baggage space is something i wasnt aware of. How much would one of those thingymebobies to put your bags in cost? All relevant to purchase/operational costs! I wouldnt worry about not being rated for asymetric twins, as they are much more involved to hire, more complex checkout etc. So i will fly this(if i go ahead and buy it) and back in G-BKEK PA32 if its out of service. Also i have been told that you should only start your rear engine when doing the power checks, that way it will warm up whilst you run through the whole check, obviously the last check will be on the rear engine. Also shuting down the rear engine after landing and taxiing on the front one is normall practice. Plus points though are cruise at 165Kn @ 6000' on 80ltrs/hr and you can fly over places that you flew around. BKP direct to the ILS for 21 into Biggin taking in the London skyline as you go:ok: More importantly, i have heard mutterings around various club bars about the undercarriage being costly to maintain and also causing a few heart aches, any comments gcolyer? Thanks for the posts so far:)

Chimbu chuckles
21st Aug 2006, 14:50
I hope this link works...it is from the subscribers only section of Aviation Consumer. Type in aviation consumer to google and then join...it's cheap and if you're serious about buying an aeroplane is the best money you'll ever spend.

http://www.aviationconsumer.com/issues/35_12/usedaircraftguide/5511-1.html

Hah!!! Seems to work fine:ok:

Note very carefully the owner comments at the bottom....I own a Bonanza and it's pretty obvious that a 337 could easily be tripple the operating costs...that's a truly scary thought:uhoh:

Cheap to buy generally only means one thing...expensive to run and/or some very big expenses around the corner. This doesn't have to be a deal breaker...if you know what you're getting yourself into. If this is your first aeroplane you most assuredly DO NOT know what you're getting yourself into:ok:

But bear these basic numbers in mind. $70k to buy it and I would bet next months salary that you will spend that much again in the first 3-5 years on top of DOCs...and you will be lucky if the aeroplane is still worth $70k when you're finished. 337s are not a hot selling item...more a niche aeroplane. You'd be FAR better off spending not a lot more and buying an Aztec if you REALLY want/need and can afford to run a twin.

Given the reality of twin/single engine overall safety you're really no worse off in a well maintained single.

gcolyer
21st Aug 2006, 15:47
I flew one up until mid June.

As for the thingmebob for storage i have no ideas how much it cost. If my pax wanted to take a bag then it went on their laps. I tell them it is a saftey feature that, you know extra padding in the event of an incident or landing on water (not that you land on water without ski's)

The undercarraige can be costly to maintain just like any other retractable. It is just a pain in the **** to work on. One good thing is it is the good ole Cessna type sprin undercarraige and not oleo type (apart from nose wheel).

When it comes to taxying, if i am on grass or rough ground i always taxi on the rear engine. That way i am limiting the chance of anything happening to the front prop should i end up in a dip that is a dip to far! plus you dont chuck a load of crap all over the AC.