PDA

View Full Version : Old style PPL abroad

scooby99
18th Aug 2006, 12:07
I have an old lifetime PPL issued in 1979 which still seems to work in the UK but I've been told it will not be accepted abroad. Since I'd like to do some flying in Spain (in spanish-reg a/c) I'd like to know what I must do.
Do I have to get a JAR type PPL? What does this cost and do I have to give up the old perennial one ?

Whopity
18th Aug 2006, 17:17
Your old style licence is a licence issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 and should therefore be acceptable in all ICAO States.

It has been suggested that the Swiss may not accept a National Licence from a JAA member State but I have not heard of any other country that takes that attitude. There is an English school in Spain, email them and check it out:http://www.bmaviation.com/

scooby99
20th Aug 2006, 15:59
Thanks Whopity. By happy co-incidence BM aviation is close to where I will be in Spain so we may well visit them. However a quick email to BM and they advise they DO require a JAR licence to fly their German reg (?) aircraft in Spain, and indeed any non G- reg aircraft in Europe. A visit to the CAA website LASORS section still does not make it very clear what I need to do. Lots of info for people with NPPL's and with PPL's from Non-ICAO member states. Think I need to give the CAA a call. I'm somewhat resigned to having to spend some money (this is the CAA after all !) but don't think it reasonable to be forced to take a flying test ...!!

shortstripper
20th Aug 2006, 16:05
Just don't be persauded to gve up your old CAA licence! You can hold both licences concurrently I believe.

SS

Whopity
20th Aug 2006, 17:25
A visit to the CAA website LASORS section still does not make it very clear what I need to do.

I doubt that they will know. The rules say that your ICAO licence is valid worldwide, the UK accept licences from all other States without question. What the other States do is up to them, even if it is contrary to the agreements they are signatories too. The tricky bit is JAR-FCL 1.005 (b)(3)
Holders of a licence issued in accordance with the national regulations of a JAA Member State before 1 July 1999, may apply to the State of licence issue of the equivalent licence specified in JAR-FCL1(Aeroplane) which extends the privileges to other States as set out in JAR-FCL 1.015 (a)(1) - this only states that all JAA States will accept a JAA licence.

ICAO Annex 1 States:

1.2.2.2 Recommendation.— A pilot licence issued by a
Contracting State should be rendered valid by other
Contracting States for use in private flights.

FBS
20th Aug 2006, 23:13
I can't speak for Spain but I wrote to the DGAC to ask if a CAA licence was OK in France and I was told that I can fly French registered aeroplanes in France on my CAA licence as long as my licence is valid (for life, subject to medical)

FBS

scooby99
21st Aug 2006, 12:50
Thanks to all for advice. What I am beginning to realise is that while the CAA and UK regulations appear to state that an old PPL(A) is valid for international use, so long as operators abroad think that a JAR license is needed, then effectively a JAR license is needed. Since if no-one will let you fly their aircraft without one, its irrelevant what the actual truth of the regulation is !!

I guess I need to find the right form to fill in to get one. As stated above I expect there will be a cost, but hopefully no exams or tests to take.

Anyone know? I'm all up to date with medical and current aircraft rating.

Whopity
21st Aug 2006, 18:12
All you need is SRG1104 http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=452

Fill it in and pay the fee and you get another licence albeit a 5 year one.

I bet the Spanish cannot tell the difference between a UK National Licence and a JAA one, most pilots can't!

scooby99
22nd Aug 2006, 21:25
Yes I found the form and have sent it off

£159 for a piece of paper which will allow me to do what I already paid to do for a lifetime in 1979.....