PDA

View Full Version : Which aircraft to build?

John Alcock
18th Aug 2006, 11:58
I'm not really using the spirit of the "Rumour" network here, but I hope you'll allow me to tap into your collective knowledge all the same and help me in choosing an aircraft.

I'm a university student, currently on a University Air Squadron with a bursary from the RAF to join as an Engineering Officer. While my medical status precludes me from joining the RAF as a pilot, I'm still intending to gain a PPL using my flying training and hours from the UAS, albeit with a little extra work outside the service environment (exams, nav landaways etc.).

The reason I ask for help is in choosing a suitable aircraft. I'm looking to build my own, as I'm rather taken by the idea of flying something I built myself. Cost and simplicity to build are also paramount. I'm looking for an aesthetic single-seat monoplane. I've toyed with the idea of an Evans VP-1, although have been wary after reading stories of it being very low-powered, and the risk that I might become bored with it after not very long. Other ideas include a Druine Turbulent or Jodel D-9 Bebe. Having not built anything before, it would probably be a good idea to try something of which there are a few around, not a rare aircraft!

I await any help, thanks!

microlight AV8R
18th Aug 2006, 18:05
John,

Why not join the PFA..... www.pfa.org.uk (http://www.pfa.org.uk)

Take a look at their website, there is a lot of info there about approved aircraft you can build in dear old Blighty.

Also, don't discount the microlight option, some super designs available nowadays.

Good luck

EDIT: Oops! Forgot to bid you welcome to this fine gathering.

Flap40
18th Aug 2006, 18:41
A simple rule is only build an aircraft because you want to build. If you want to fly, then go and buy one. People who build because they want to fly usually end up selling a half finished project.

If you want to see homebuilts in the flesh then I suggest that you get yourself to Kemble this weekend as it is the PFA rally. (get a copy of the AIC from AIS or the PFA website if you are flying in).

ormus55
18th Aug 2006, 22:43
i like the vintage look, and the pietenpol aircamper is my all time favourite homebuilt.
seen a few of em at popham, and just fell in love.