PDA

View Full Version : Yak Hire

Jinkster
16th Aug 2006, 22:15
Does anyone know of anywhere that offer Yaks to hire? I quite fancy a play in one!

No aeros mind.....

18greens
17th Aug 2006, 22:46
No aeros.....?????

Whats is the point of flying them straight and level. Its just a noisy Cessna unless you go inverted.

Try Gennady at Worlverhampton International World Spaceport for conversions/ trial lessons.

I guess the issue is its hard to get a cofa on them so there aren't that many that are for hire.

You could always approach a group with a view to buying a share.Lots of them available, I recall one at Popham for £2500 share (bargain)

Human Factor
18th Aug 2006, 07:34
The ballpark cost of a Yak-52 is £40k, so divide that by the number of group members and that will be the share cost. Operating costs of our group are £65 pcm and £150 per hour. That doesn't include an engine fund.

Genna is probably your best bet if you want a blat with a true expert....:ok:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
18th Aug 2006, 09:33
Genna is the man; I learned a heck of a lot about the '52 from my session with him. However, I don't think he does 'straight & Level'. Neither does the YAK; it would be like doing the Sainsburys shopping run in an F1 car.

pistongone
18th Aug 2006, 10:27
I believe Mark Jefferies has put many 52's on the UK register? I have flown with him a few times in one and it was a flight i wont forget in a hurry!:O As for hire, probably best call him. £150/hr and that doesnt include engine fund? Well 60ltrs of juice comes in at around £70- and £65/mth between 10? =£650, you would have thought that would cover parking and insurance. So that leaves £80/hr for maintenance, sounds like the group treasurer maybe getting his kicks for free:=

pistongone
18th Aug 2006, 10:29
I believe Mark Jefferies has put many 52's on the UK register? I have flown with him a few times in one and it was a flight i wont forget in a hurry!:O As for hire, probably best call him. Human Factor, you say £150/hr and that doesnt include engine fund? Well 60ltrs of juice comes in at around £70- and £65/mth between 10? =£650, you would have thought that would cover parking and insurance. So that leaves £80/hr for maintenance, sounds like the group treasurer maybe getting his kicks for free:=

Human Factor
18th Aug 2006, 11:52
It all works out. There's nothing else to pay (including ferrying if the maintenance is being carried out away from home base, which any of us do) as everything other than the replacement engine comes out of the fund (as you say, about £80ph). This also includes a float for unforeseen expenses, and there are a few.

Out of interest, not sure how other groups do it but the £150 per hour is airborne time (it's recorded on the meter as time exceeding 55kts) as opposed to block time. It makes sure no-one is in too much of a hurry to get airborne and takes the time to warm up the engine properly - which saves a few bob in itself.

Also, most aeros sorties are around 40 minutes block which equates to about 25 minutes airborne and hence about £62. If you look at it that way, a block hour (typically 45 mins airborne, which is long enough in one go for me) works out at £112. Compare that to your flying club Warrior. :cool:

Works well for all of us and Ed certainly doesn't have is hand in the till, although he may need to get a job soon..... ;)