PDA

View Full Version : Bendix King Skymap III c

BroomstickPilot
14th Aug 2006, 09:37
Has anybody had any experience of these expensive gizmos?

If so, what do you reckon to them?

Broomstick.

robin
14th Aug 2006, 09:48
I like it and prefer it to any of the Garmins. Wouldn't be without it.

rotorboater
14th Aug 2006, 09:55
TDB:ok:
(I need 10 letters to post!)

IO540
14th Aug 2006, 10:00
The Skymap 3C is a very nice product. They have been making it for donkeys years.

Drawback #1 is no internal batteries. You have to connect it to the aircraft power. I believe it runs from either 12V or 24V systems; in reality this is 14V/28V. My Skymap 2 runs off both. And if it is to serve as a navaid in case of an electrical failure in the plane (pretty desirable IMHO) then you are looking at a substantial external battery pack; of the order of 1" x 6" x 4" (sealed lead-acid) to run this unit for say 5 hours. Easy for an electronic engineer :) to construct but a major hassle otherwise. The standard plug-in cigar lighter connector is also flimsy, as I know too well from charging various gadgets from the plane's ccigar lighter socket, and the most brief disconnection will clobber the GPS until it restarts, re-acquires, etc.

Drawback #2 is no internal GPS aerial. Actually this is not an issue since nobody should use a GPS (other than in an open cockpit with no roof) unless they have a remote aerial, either on the roof or stuck to the top of the window. With the Skymap 2 I used the supplied remote aerial, with the suction pad attachment to the window.

Skyforce/Honeywell charge about £100 for a database update, which isn't too bad.

Curiously, from a conversation I once had with an instructor who was looking for work in Africa, no doubt carrying "interesting" cargo ;) this was the only GPS on the market whose (he claimed) VFR database included Africa.

Personally, given the close price, I would buy the Avmap EKP IV. The display quality of the Skymap doesn't even begin to compare with the Avmap, for example.

SkyHawk-N
14th Aug 2006, 10:06
Mine is panel mounted and I wouldn't be without it. I've got a Bendix/King KA-92 External GPS Antenna and never have a problem getting a signal.

Skyhawk.

IO540
14th Aug 2006, 10:10
I agree a Skymap 3C works well when panel mounted. Many are panel mounted; it does most of what a KMD150 (a panel mount version) does and is a lot cheaper.

I think the GPS receiver in the Skymap 3C is the same as in the KLN94; mine has been utterly reliable.

Rallye Driver
14th Aug 2006, 10:24
Very pleased with mine, which I've had a number of years.

To get around the lack of internal batteries I use a rechargeable glider battery which lasts about seven hours. You would also need a spare power cable to solder the terminal plugs on to. I got the battery, charger and plugs from AFE at Kidlington.

The battery is quite bulky and heavy, and I've made a plywood stand for it to keep it steady in the aircraft - normally sits on the floor behind the seat - which is attached to the battery with velcro. Everthing fits in a headset bag I got free with the original unit.

RD :ok:

stiknruda
14th Aug 2006, 15:27
I'm on the lookout for a good second hand one, if anyone can help!

Stik

BroomstickPilot
14th Aug 2006, 21:16
Thanks for all the info, Guys.

Broomstick.

lc_aerobatics
23rd Aug 2006, 15:39
contact me and I'll get you one as promissed

LysanderV8
23rd Aug 2006, 15:48
I currently use a Garmin 296, but I have just purchased an aircraft with a Skymap IIIC panel mounted. Whilst I have yet to use it, I am quite certain that it will be great, certainly if I accept the previous owner's comments, but the downside, apart from the battery issue already covered here, is that you have to send the memory card away to be updated, at what I think is a high cost. At least with the 296, I can easily download the updates myself from the Garmin website at a much more reasonable cost.

When with it be possible to update the card ourselves?

Lysander

IO540
23rd Aug 2006, 15:59
I paid about £80 to update the Skymap 2 card.

Skyforce don't seem to have done any product development for years, so I doubt the 3 will ever be online updatable.