PDA

View Full Version : New CAA Half mill South chart

expedite08
12th Aug 2006, 10:40
Hi all,

Just a quick one.

What are the 'major' airspace changes to the new half mill South chart? Is there anything significant, or have the CAA just found another way of making more cash out of us pilots by updating the series every five minutes with insignificant things?

Any views and opinions?

Many thanks

Expedite :ok:

runway09
12th Aug 2006, 11:03
Prehaps it has something to do with the changes in Bristol & Cardiff airspace? :

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235719

Runway09

18greens
12th Aug 2006, 11:07
Wow, how many changes can there be in 6 months?

Actually here they are

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=64&pagetype=65&applicationid=8&mode=detail&chart=11#FutureAmendments

Headcorn has gone up by 2 feet, coltishall has gone..Brooklands has gone:( .

Who know what justifies it but if they have finally put the new (2+year old) dual carriage way east of Hanningfield reservoir on it it will be worth it

Mariner9
12th Aug 2006, 17:40
If 15 quid's too much to bear, you could always plot the changes to Bristol, Cardiff, & Luton airspace's , amend multiple Clacton CTA's, and add a big Danger area at Aberporth on your own edition 32:rolleyes: .

Wise decision by the CAA in my view. Happy to spend the money personally.

Anonystude
12th Aug 2006, 19:27
Who know what justifies it but if they have finally put the new (2+year old) dual carriage way east of Hanningfield reservoir on it it will be worth it

It's on my Ed. 32 -- I should know, I used to live between the old and new A130's...!

Mike Cross
13th Aug 2006, 07:51
On that subject. If you have any suggestions re the charts please use the feedback link on the left side of this page. (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=64)

The VFR Chart Editor is a lady by the name of Jo Suter who is a PPL and is usually on the CAA stand at events. She's not gifted with extra sensory perception and if you know of something that is marked on the chart because it was once prominent but is no longer so, or some new landmark that could be usefully added please let her know.

IO540
13th Aug 2006, 09:33
People who bought the Memory Map data (£50 for each of the three UK charts) are less happy.

Especially as MM could easily issue updated charts throughout the year.....

englishal
13th Aug 2006, 10:12
or tell us how to edit the charts directly so we can make our own amendments (still haven't worked out how to). Actually it may not be MM's fault. You can export the whole map as an image, except the CAA charts which have the option disabled due to copyright.....

Just a thought....they should release an add-on chart updater software, that should keep the copyright holder happy.....

IO540
13th Aug 2006, 10:22
You can print from MM, with a printer driver that generates TIF for example. This has been used by some anonymous person to convert all 12 of the 1:50k UK O/S charts into "more portable" formats ;)

Then you could edit the TIF in Photoshop for example. Tacky as hell...

I think there is a (supported) way to use your own scanned maps in MM; if so you could then go back to MM with the edited map. However, why not just run the corrected map under Oziexplorer - a generally superior product.

englishal
13th Aug 2006, 16:32
The TIF you print is only what is shown in the window though isn't it?. The CAA charts cannot be printed at greater than A4 size (restricted by the CAA) so they cannot be printed to an image generator (or not usefully).

The "Image Export" function, which can be used to export the entire map, at its proper resolution is greyed out for the CAA charts:

"(NB: some map publishers do not permit their maps to be exported, so you may find this feature is disabled). "

Essentially the CAA are preventing us from manually updating the CAA digital charts, and unfortunately there is no way in the MM software to overlay a polygone type shape.

I bought one set of the OS 1:50000 maps, for a tenner I think it was, and was sent the entire set for the whole UK :) ;)

Pitts2112
13th Aug 2006, 18:09
It's funny, but the one option regarding this updated chart I've not heard anyone mention is to make all airspace ammendments effective as of the date of the next chart update. Most of these things take years to implement/change and, unless there's a particular hardpoint in time that an airspace change must meet, then a few more weeks/months until the next update comes out doesn't seem like too much trouble. Possibly it would be easier then reissuing a new out-of-cycle chart and it would give airspace ammendments a cycle, rather than happening randomly.

Or am I missing something here?

Pitts2112

flower
13th Aug 2006, 18:19
Pitts 2112 ,
I can only speak for the Bristol/Cardiff airspace changes. It was envisaged originally that the changes were to come in March 2006 , the main airways changes did. However due to numerous issues primarily environmental concerns and SIDS the delay on that airspace implementation happened. To wait another 6 months now to implement them simply to accommodate the chart issue date doesn't help us out as a unit we require the airspace now. This new issue is exceptional but the many airspace changes that have occurred since the last issue of the chart make this the safest option.
Whilst I am aware of the cost of purchasing a new chart ,if a new chart wasn't being issued I am equally sure complaints would be raised.