PDA

View Full Version : Routes ideas

pilotho
11th Aug 2006, 22:58
finally received the PPL today and thinking of ideas for hour building..

flying out of sheffield city airport and so far i thought of EGSY to the Humber bridge.

anyone got any ideas of other possible routes? what did u guys do for hour building??

Mariner9
12th Aug 2006, 18:01
Well the Humber bridge would be around a 1 hour round trip - would not add much to your total time :hmm:

Not hour building myself, but if I was, I'd plan longer trips to interesting destinations and get as many airfields in my logbook as possible. How about Sheffield-Sleap-Caernarvon for example - two nice airfields, and routing via Saddleworth Moor and Snowdonia - fantastic :ok:

Loads of other places to go - why not subscribe to one of the flying magazines and try to visit each of their free landing fee airfields each month?

dublinpilot
12th Aug 2006, 19:06
If I was you, I'd build up to trips even further away.....I mean other countries. This will help you build your experience and confidence a lot more than local trips.

Make the most of the money you are spending, and plan to stay there for a night or two and get to see the place. It's a shame to spend all that money to go somewhere and not actually see it.

dp

FlyFreeWbe
12th Aug 2006, 19:06
As a new PPL, you want to ease into the long distance stuff. I can tell you now you don't really want to jump back into another QXC type flight. But anyway - A flying friend and I went to the Isle of White a while ago, was a gorgeous day, not a cloud to be seen, although a bit bumpy, had some mates as pax with us. Took us an 3 hours round trip and we stayed on the isle for quite a bit. Maybe for yourself that's a hardcore trip seeing as your base is Sheffield, but still if you share it with another PPL, it'll be more fun :)

Maybe you could start with your idea then work up ... like maybe Sheffield to Stapleford - they have a good club house and nice food. Plus you'll be tackling the Luton or Stansted frequencies which is always fun. Or then even, you could visit the Welsh country!! Scare some sheep silly, Navi through some MATZ. I don't know really.. I can only suggest flights south of where you are, I've not yet experimented going above 55*N yet :ooh: But I will soon enough ;)

Basically it's up to your imagination. Best thing is when you get somewhere after you've planned it all successfully, and get back of course. Best of luck on your adventures

ffw

ormus55
12th Aug 2006, 21:02
a trip down to popham would be nice. most probably the friendliest flying club in the uk.
via barton for a coffee?, the oldest flying club in the uk.

just a thought.
:)

Jinkster
13th Aug 2006, 08:19
I instruct out of Sheffield....

Skegness, Blackpool, Caernarfon, Welshpool are all good little trips :)

Drop me a pm and will pass your details to the boss for an hour build 'deal'

;)

stickandrudderman
13th Aug 2006, 14:11
As soon as I got my PPL, I posted a "P2 time required" notice on the flying club notice board, and found myself on a cross country trip to Berlin and Warsaw. Landing at Templehof with 16Hrs P1 certainly accelarates the confidence curve!!
I thoroughly recommend it!

pilotho
14th Aug 2006, 00:06
hi guys,

thanks for the replies, very interesting ideas and some i would definetly take up.

would like to ask, besides navigating, do you guys practise stalls or other manuveurs?

would you recommend doing the night rating? i am hoping to go commercial so just seeing what kind of flying is best as a warm up to CPL

Jinkster
14th Aug 2006, 08:42
would definately recommend the night rating - but i'd do it in the winter when your more likely to use it....

try and make your trips to the other side of a MATZ so you get used to talking to air traffic etc.

Lots of little trips and i'm sure your flying school where you hire the aeroplane from will help ;)

big.al
14th Aug 2006, 10:04
Pilotho -

What do you fly are how much do you pay for it? I fly out of Gamston and have done the Humber trip a few times. A scenic trip up the east coast overhead Scarborough is worthwhile (watch out for para-dropping at Flamborough Head), with a drop into Bagby for lunch. Talk to Doncaster and then Humberside for very helpful LARS.

I haven't flown for a while due to lack of funds so if you fancy cost-sharing sometime it would be a way of building your experience and perhaps allowing me to get airborne again! There are quite a few places you could travel to in a two hour round trip from Sheffield but cost sharing could allow you to stretch your 'legs' further without incurring additional expense.

Regards.

(Edited to say - congrats on getting the PPL!).