PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite 'bimble'?

Cricket23
11th Aug 2006, 22:42
I haven't got very many hours in my logbook since passing my Skills Test in April, but I just love the sight of the white cliffs at Beachy Head on a sunny day. The contrast of the green fields, white cliffs and blue sea is really stunning.

So, currently, that's my favourite local bimble, what's yours?

Cheers,

C23

Keef
12th Aug 2006, 14:46
Several...

Lunch at Le Touquet

Fly to Deauville, taxi to Honfleur for lunch

25 years ago it was "up the Thames to Tower Bridge", but that's not an option any more.

Humaround
12th Aug 2006, 21:14
Anywhere around South Worcestershire, west Gloucestershire and Herefordshire really. Bredon Hill in the evening is particularly nice.
Actually my favourite bimble is to follow the river Avon to Tewkesbury, then follow the severn to Gloucester, along the north bank of the Severn to Chepstow, up the Wye valley to Monmouth, then Ross on Wye, and back via Malvern. Takes about an hour, time very well spent.
Ideally at about 7am on a summer morning at 1000' :)

Pitts2112
13th Aug 2006, 09:35
I've come back from the north toward Popham a couple of times and when I get to the Thames (after rattling Heathrow's cage), I've taken to following the river in a rather literal fashion until clear of the Aldermaston zone, then carrying on straight south again. It's kinda cool to see just how accurately you can follow a curvy river.

Pitts2112

Interested to hear any favorite bimbles around the Popham area. Only been here a year and haven't done much aerial exploring yet.

B Fraser
13th Aug 2006, 09:59
Tootling around the Isle of Wight or Jersey is rather good fun ! Even being held at Corbiere Point for couple of orbits while the big boys arrive / depart is enjoyable.

Nearly forgot, whizzing around North Wales via Llangollen from Sleap is quite special.

vulcanpilot
13th Aug 2006, 10:52
Tootling around the Isle of Wight or Jersey is rather good fun ! Even being held at Corbiere Point for couple of orbits while the big boys arrive / depart is enjoyable.

Jersey and the Channel Islands definitely. Stirring the Gannets up in Alderney. Flying across to the Normandy Landing Beaches or doing several orbits of Mt St. Michelle and wondering just how all those people in all those coaches can squeeze into such a small area :uhoh:

Can't say 20 minute holds at Corbierre are THAT enjoyable when you see the cash disappearing from your wallet!

FlyingForFun
13th Aug 2006, 11:29
Main thing for me, if it's just a bimble, is to stay to the area that I know very well, so that I don't need to be consulting the chart too often. Bimbling in an area which you don't know tends to be (relatively) hard work, and takes a lot of the enjoyment away for me.

FFF
-----------

Shaggy Sheep Driver
13th Aug 2006, 19:56
In the Chippy, Barton (or Liverpool, our current base) out over Wales overflying Snowdon, down to Portmadoc, then low level round the Lleyn penninsula with some fun around Abersoch, Hell's mouth, Aberdaron, Bardsey Island, and Nefyn. Refuel and lunch at Caernarfon, then a wandering scenic route over mid wales to Shobdon. More fuel (it is a Chippy!), then north over lovely Shropshire, up past Craven Arms and Long Mynd, climbing north of Telford for some aeros, (and maybe calling in at Sherlowe if time permits). Then back to base.

SSD

Mark 1
13th Aug 2006, 20:03
It used to be heading down to Ladybower reservoir while humming the Dambusters theme ;)

Flik Roll
14th Aug 2006, 21:37
North of Brecon :cool:

turniphead
14th Aug 2006, 22:04
Mont St Michel is a bit dull from 3000ft.
No doubt you were indeed that high as you would not wish to disturb the good folk under the restricted area?

LowNSlow
15th Aug 2006, 06:34
My usual bimble is to exit the Luton Zone over Baldock, climb to around 3,000' and practice stalls, steep turns and chandelles then follow the A1M to Grafton Water. Follow the "coast" around and then do more steep turns on the way back with a PFL to get me down low followed by a climb to 1,500' ready for the Zone entry. A few circuits if the wind is not too far off the runway heading rounds it off. Total time around 1.5 hours.

London Mil
15th Aug 2006, 06:37
Prestwick- Oban - Skye - Glenforsa (lunch) - Cambletown - Prestwick.

777fly
17th Aug 2006, 00:49
Try routeing south over Portsmouth to Sandown, IoW. Have lunch on the restaurant terrace, then get airborne again and fly west around the Needles, have a look at Hurst Castle, then head east back to Portsmouth via Cowes, heading back to Base your own way from there. On a clear day it doesn't get better than that.

DubTrub
17th Aug 2006, 08:44
It used to be heading down to Ladybower reservoir while humming the Dambusters theme
Used to be? It's still a favourite bimble of mine.
<note to self: must stay above 60 feet.>

Piltdown Man
17th Aug 2006, 23:08
Now, on a sunny Saturday morning, a little wonder over central London at 2,000'. In the past, a low level flit over the Pennines or across the sands of Morcombe Bay.

vulcanpilot
20th Aug 2006, 17:10
Mont St Michel is a bit dull from 3000ft.
No doubt you were indeed that high as you would not wish to disturb the good folk under the restricted area?

Fly at under 3000' just outside the restricted area - use the CWS function on the STEC-55 & monitor on the GNS430 - the restricted area isn't that big. Get a better view from a little way out anyhow.

Still a nice view and a nice trip down the coast.:ok:

Penguina
20th Aug 2006, 17:57
L&S, I like a good PFL on a bimble too. Always wakes me out of my customary stupor.

Otherwise, I like to phone people immediately before I go and tell them I'll be bimbling as close to them/their pad as Rule 5 & common sense will permit and to wave frantically when I waggle my wings.

What larks. :8