PDA

View Full Version : Ground Controller

Shamrock274
11th Aug 2006, 15:24
I suspect the ground controllers for egll and egkk will be having a lot of fun today and tomorrow, heard stands were packed he he he

Gonzo
11th Aug 2006, 15:27
Yep, it was great fun, but hell, it was hard work. From 1200-1330z I think every a/c that landed had an occupied stand, all all the outbounds to the US had to receive TSA clearance before take off, but they'd only start investigating each flight after it pushed back, so we had to lose them all somewhere on the airfield.

My thanks go to the many understanding flight crews out there of not taking out their frustrations on me!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Aug 2006, 15:53
When I first visited London Tower (sorry for the nostalgic name) I asked which controller was GMC. I was told: Each ATCO has a little window in the side of his head which reads his age; the GMC man's is the one going round like a fruit machine!

Shamrock274
12th Aug 2006, 02:19
Yep, it was great fun, but hell, it was hard work. From 1200-1330z I think every a/c that landed had an occupied stand, all all the outbounds to the US had to receive TSA clearance before take off, but they'd only start investigating each flight after it pushed back, so we had to lose them all somewhere on the airfield.

My thanks go to the many understanding flight crews out there of not taking out their frustrations on me!

Gonzo, what is TSA clearance?? .....
sorry for the lack of knowledge im an NHS man with aviation interest

SilentHandover
12th Aug 2006, 07:19
TSA is the American security agency, aircraft have to pass their passenger manifests to them and receive permission from them before they depart the UK. This can only be done once the aircraft has pushed off the gate. It is not an air traffic clearance, the aircraft inform air traffic when they are able to depart.

Jerricho
12th Aug 2006, 13:33
so we had to lose them all somewhere on the airfield

Shooda put Point 7 in there........he's good at that :E

Gonzo
12th Aug 2006, 15:09
Well, I heard he did a night shift!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must have been three years since he did one. Wonder if he knew how to turn the lights on? :p

SilentHandover
12th Aug 2006, 15:28
Why would an ATCO want to turn the lights on, that's what the LPO is for!

Gonzo
12th Aug 2006, 15:36
I mean the lights in the VCR, not the reds and greens! P7, being the ATC God(tm) in residence in Ops, knows the AGL system like the back of his hand, I'm sure......:}

Shamrock274
12th Aug 2006, 19:33
Guys, you know the guy/girl that does all you lighting in not so bright conditions... what is his/her title??

How do you get a job like that?, any educational previous experience requirements?? Do you contact NATS or the airport for such a job??

Airline Tycoon
12th Aug 2006, 21:47
Guys, you know the guy/girl that does all you lighting in not so bright conditions... what is his/her title??

How do you get a job like that?, any educational previous experience requirements?? Do you contact NATS or the airport for such a job??

We are known as Lighting Operators, we are employed by NATS. If you want to get a job like ours, you need to get your foot in the door at NATS in an operational environment. Once you have got some ATC experience under your belt you can then apply. The job is only advertised internally, the current vacancy notice has attracted 53 applicants for approximately 4 positions to train in Winter 2007/8.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Aug 2006, 07:12
Shamrock.... I can't speak for other airfields but IMHO the Lighting Operators at Heathrow have the most difficult job in ATC, bar none. They are walking miracle workers of the highest order. Lord alone knows how they do it - I wouldn't have stood a chance on GMC without them watching over me...

cambioso
13th Aug 2006, 08:27
"I wouldn't have stood a chance on GMC without them watching over me..."

Hear Hear! I had 22 years of them "watching over me" which must have been terrifying for them!!
Bless them all ...they should all have OBEs!
Love,

Jez.

Shamrock274
13th Aug 2006, 12:25
Airline Tycoon.... Check your PM's

Point Seven
14th Aug 2006, 08:17
I mean the lights in the VCR, not the reds and greens! P7, being the ATC God(tm) in residence in Ops, knows the AGL system like the back of his hand, I'm sure......:}
Gonzo, as I was involved in the design of the ATC part (as well you know) I do know it extremely well.

Certainly better than you:p

And it is only 18 months since my last night shift.

P7

Gonzo
14th Aug 2006, 08:55
Certainly better than you:p

Never claimed the contrary old chap!

Only 18 months, eh? Does that mena you get non-op and ASAP? :}