PDA

View Full Version : The price of Avgas, £1.42p a litre and rising

EGCC4284
9th Aug 2006, 22:21
The price of Avgas

I went flying out of Barton, near Manchester at the weekend and fuelled up twice. Total litres was 88. Price including VAT was £121

I nearly died. I found out that they are charging £1.21p a litre plus VAT coming to £1.42p a litre.

They also said the price was just about to go up again

I would be interested what others are paying around the country.

Jinkster
9th Aug 2006, 23:20
£1.11 at Sheffield City - but that could be what our school gets it for rather than the private flyers.

stiknruda
10th Aug 2006, 07:37
98p plus VAT = £1.15

Pitts2112
10th Aug 2006, 08:01
Popham, £1.30/liter

Shuttleworth for their evening display a couple weeks ago, £1.50/liter

Kiltie
10th Aug 2006, 08:31
http://www.thehangar.co.uk/fuel/fuel.shtml

Chaps keeping this website updated yourselves will benefit all of us.

EGCC4284
10th Aug 2006, 09:58
Kiltie

Great idea

Cheers mate

stiknruda, can you put the location of the price.

matspart3
10th Aug 2006, 12:14
116.5p + VAT (£1.37) at Gloucestershire Airport. Wholesale price went up 3p this month : (

JUST-local
10th Aug 2006, 15:51
Aug. 2006. BLACKPOOL £1.26 + Vat (Yes + Vat). £1.48 inc. :eek:

Satcop
10th Aug 2006, 16:04
Redhill currently selling AVGAS at £1.12 + VAT. They have decided to absorb further price increases in order to assist the flying clubs and private flyers.

MVE
10th Aug 2006, 16:48
Old Sarum, Wilts. 1.35 per ltr inc VAt

Kiltie
10th Aug 2006, 18:55
Inverness £1.32 inc. VAT. Obviously geography has nothing to do with price!

soay
11th Aug 2006, 13:11
How they do it in America:
http://www.100ll.com/
With little price difference between 100LL and Jet A, I can see why they're not bothered about diesel engines.

Choxolate
11th Aug 2006, 13:43
How they do it in America:
http://www.100ll.com/
With little price difference between 100LL and Jet A, I can see why they're not bothered about diesel engines.
In UK the Tax, duty, VAT on AVgas is the biggest element of the cost.
Avtur is effectively tax free.

Is there any logic to why avgas is taxed differently?

soay
11th Aug 2006, 14:04
Is there any logic to why avgas is taxed differently?
Because GA has no lobbying power, unlike the airlines.

JUST-local
6th Sep 2006, 21:11
Blackpool £1.19 + Vat (£1.39825 inc.) this month, not cheap but heading in the right direct !
JL........

Fuji Abound
6th Sep 2006, 21:32
and so what do we get for the duty we pay?

How often do some spin the argument that GA doesnt get LARS becasue no one is prepared to pay for it, and how often is GA considered to play second fiddle to commercial operators who in fact pay no duty.

In fact the duty goes into the public purse in the same way as the duty on petrol. There is an expectation that those who pay tax or duty expect something in return.

Hence the original question - and what is it we are getting?

BlueRobin
6th Sep 2006, 21:36
Because GA has no lobbying power, unlike the airlines.

This may change now AOPA has a figure on how much GA contributes to the economy. Lembit Opik explained to me recently how much the Government would lose by cutting AVGAS duty. I think it was about £5m, not a lot in the budget.

Flash0710
6th Sep 2006, 21:44
Those thoughtful chaps @ Redhill..:cool: :cool: :)

hugs
f.

scooter boy
6th Sep 2006, 21:55
Plymouth City yesterday 98p + vat (rare for me to fill up in the UK mainland - only if absolutely necessary)

Exxon Price for 2000L bulk purchase = 94.9p + vat (for helicopter bowser)

Jersey (fuel Supplies CI) 85p ish (inc AOPA discount)

Palma airport Mallorca 1.05 euros no vat (3 weeks ago) you need a VAT number.

I tanker Jersey fuel around whenever I can - 500L is what I take off with when I leave those beautiful islands = 10 hrs in the air. Trip back takes 40 mins leaving 9h 20 mins of tax free flying and two fingers to the treasury.

Visited EGJJ 16 times last year for fuel (and of course tourism).

Guernsey is even closer and just as cheap - drop in there from time to time too.

Do the same if you can - you know it makes sense - why spend 50% more??

SB

twelveoclockhigh
7th Sep 2006, 07:00
At the moment it's about £1 per litre wholesale so if you put a 20p mark up and then VAT you end up with about £1.40. This is for smaller airfields - some airfields though don't put a mark up for their members so sell at pretty much wholesale + VAT eg Fenland where it is £1.17 per litre - possibly where Stik goes?

Obviously at larger airports where Shell etc sell their own fuel directly then they don't (or shouldn't) need to put the mark up on so you end up with about £1.18.

soay
7th Sep 2006, 07:10
This may change now AOPA has a figure on how much GA contributes to the economy. Lembit Opik explained to me recently how much the Government would lose by cutting AVGAS duty. I think it was about £5m, not a lot in the budget.
Why, have AOPA suddenly got enough money to fund lobbyists to smooch with the government, like BA do? Even if they concentrate their resources on the minister with direct responsibility for aviation, it will be a never ending task, as they are rarely in office for very long.

The problem with AVGAS is that it pollutes the atmosphere with lead, so it would be politically impossible to reduce the tax on it. Also, the nasty additive now has a single producer, so they can charge what they like for it. Hence, users of AVGAS must expect the price to continue to rise, during the long transition to modern engines that don't need lead.

Fuji Abound
7th Sep 2006, 07:17
"The problem with AVGAS is that it pollutes the atmosphere with lead"

.. .. .. and JetA1 does what?

"Hence, users of AVGAS must expect the price to continue to rise,"

True

Rod1
7th Sep 2006, 07:20
The Price of Mogas is falling! My Rotax is burning under 18 lph of mogas, boy am I glad I sold my AA5B!

Rod1

soay
7th Sep 2006, 08:51
"The problem with AVGAS is that it pollutes the atmosphere with lead"
.. .. .. and JetA1 does what?

Pollutes the atmosphere, without lead!

For those too young to know, car engines used to need leaded fuel, but were weaned off it when it was recognised that all the lead that was being pumped into the atmosphere was causing brain damage. Now, unleaded fuel just causes planet damage, but at least we can be sentient enough to realise it!

Fuji Abound
7th Sep 2006, 11:43
Soay

What a good reply. Nice to see a sense of humour :) .

rogcal
7th Sep 2006, 12:08
Fenland's inclusive prices today.

£1.37 ltr for non members

£1.23 ltr for members

The savings I make as a member on landing fees (and the reciprocals) and fuel are well worth the membership sub I pay.

JUST-local
7th Sep 2006, 12:20
I was under the impression Avgas was now very low lead?

JL....

Brooklands
7th Sep 2006, 12:43
I was under the impression Avgas was now very low lead

Whilst 100 octane avgas sold these days is described as "Low Lead" I believe that this is in comparison with 100-130 octane avgas which hasn't been available for a number of years now: I don't remember it being available when I started back in 1992. In reality "Low Lead" avgas has quite high levels of lead, even when compared to the no longer available leaded mogas, and certainly enough to give an environmentalist a heart attack :}

This article on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avgas) explains it quite nicely, and gives the lead content of the different grades.

Brooklands

zweef
7th Sep 2006, 15:44
I think everybody should get an STC so you can use MOGAS. Leave 'em standing with their expensive stuff.

davidatter708
7th Sep 2006, 17:51
£1.40 soon to go down as the current fuel price is slightly lower so the next tank loader full will b cheaper
David

BlueRobin
7th Sep 2006, 18:21
The pollution argument is really a non-starter also. Compared to say car output on a single day, avgas consumption is quite small. Agree though that lead should go if only on the grounds that one place soley procdues all TEL.

matspart3
7th Sep 2006, 22:19
Gloucester's went down 3ppl this month to £1.33 inc VAT

JUST-local
7th Oct 2006, 09:17
Blackpool £1.21 inc. Vat 01/10/06

Heading the right way!

JL............

Zulu Alpha
7th Oct 2006, 09:35
AVGAS 100LL has about the same amount of lead as 4 star used to have.

However, cars emit the lead from exhausts very close to the point that we inhale air. Therefore there was a very real cause from concern, particularly in towns.

Aircraft emit lead a long way from where anyone is breathing and therefore the danger to health is insignificant.

The wholesale price of AVGAS has started to drop but maybe some airfields are slow to pass this on.

Dr Jekyll
7th Oct 2006, 11:42
Lead levels in peoples blood, (which is where it does the damage) have been falling steadily ever since use of lead pipes began to be phased out. Neither the invention of leaded petrol nor the increase in use of motor vehicles after WW2 made any noticeable difference. Nor did the introduction of unleaded petrol. Lead out of car exhausts tends to be baked into solid particles which could probably be swallowed without ill effect.

Leaded petrol was phased out to allow the introduction of catalytic converters which are ruined by leaded fuel. The benzene and other additives which replace the lead are far more harmful than lead ever was.

Using a catalytic converter reduces pollution to such an extent that it is still worthwhile even though you need unleaded fuel. Using unleaded fuel without a cat is worse than pointless.

LysanderV8
7th Oct 2006, 16:45
Shoreham is £1.16 + VAT, having gone DOWN from £1.22 + VAT on 1 September. I beleive it is coming down again as wholesale prices have dropped.

Headcorn is £1.19 + VAT, and in addition you get a free landing with minimum 40 litres, saving you £9.50.

Wellesbourne is £1.10 + VAT

All prices charged to me within the last 10 days

JUST-local
7th Oct 2006, 17:40
This thread was about price ££££££££££

As I can remember 100L as it was meant leaded, 100LL as it is means low lead!

As far as I am aware the lead was to prevent damage to the reativly soft valve seats (mico welding?). They now have harder valve seats or at least different and the fuel probably has worse additives to prevent wear!

JL............

smarthawke
7th Oct 2006, 19:56
Wycombe Air Park have just DROPPED the price as of 01 Oct to £1.18 per litre inc VAT (and you get a landing fee reduction).

I went to Leicester today and if you pick up 50L or more you get off the £10 landing fee but they are charging £1.40 inc VAT.

Flyin'Dutch'
7th Oct 2006, 20:19
I seem to recall that the "LL" bit meant "lower lead". It still contained significantly more lead than the discontinued 4*.

4 times as much

Jamesg25
19th Aug 2007, 19:57
Hello everyone, I have just started my PPL and I have just been introduced to AvGas fuel prices (Fun! Another topic to moan about that is government/tax related)

Some were around page 2 emissions and pollution was mentioned, I think an interesting study to conduct would be to calculate the quantity of MoGas wasted in traffic jams and at red lights, in any one day in UK, then compare the quantities of CO2 and other various pollutants with those emitted as a result of GA (AvGas related).

I wouldn't be surprised if the AvGas pollution is incomparable to MoGas pollution, and this leads me to question the logic in taxing up AvGas to the extent that it is! Is it justified?

One more thing, why the hell do we pay VAT on top of duty, how do they justify this?

regards
James

neilcharlton
19th Aug 2007, 22:51
AOPA quote "In the UK more mogas fuel evaporates than the entire GA consumption of Avgas ! "

justinmg
20th Aug 2007, 16:06
Eddsfield £1.13 per litre INC VAT! :ok:

spernkey
20th Aug 2007, 19:50
My little diesel cessna's 172's burn 16 litres per hour of jet A1 and i pay as little as 43 pence per litre at big airports. Recent avgas prices are a real burden on GA esp group A aircraft. Writings on the wall - we are just not wanted! The lighter end holds the only real future with affordable innovation. Certified antiques burning half of the avgas they consume and using the rest to keep their engines cool are very nearly finished IMHO. I am real sad about saying that as i think GA has a value outside of it's own context. Bloody shame the way it's going. Sorry to sound so glum!:{

justinmg
21st Aug 2007, 09:40
You will be more glum if the tax goes on AVTUR as being discussed.:sad: