PDA

View Full Version : Test flying fun

shortstripper
9th Aug 2006, 18:59
Today I finished my T31m's test flight program with the 2hr endurance and handling tests.

It was not really the ideal day but I am hoping to get to the PFA rally and need to get the paperwork to Francis by Friday to stand a chance of getting the permit back in time. I took off just before 10am in light rain and broken cloud at 1500', but once above that layer the air was smooth under a higher belt of cloud, the height of which I don't know.

The official climb test showed around 420 fpm from 500 to 1500, but higher up from 1500 - 2500 (in smoother air but not timed) the vario showed over 600 fpm! The VNE showed no abnormalities and the stall is a non event with no defined break if co-ordinated, but a gentle wing drop if some rudder is added. All controls centralise naturally in test circumstances higher up, but she bumped around all over the place lower down in the rapidly building thermic conditions. I'm sure as the glider pilot will soon re-emerge, but having flown little but power for the last ten years, flying proved hard work in these conditions with that big old wing picking up every bump.

As previously posted the first flight went very well as did all the flights. She operates easily out of my 250 yard strip and today handled a fair cross wind with ease. On one flight I landed in one of the longer fields on the farm (having previously checked it out on foot) only to have the wind change, which necessitated a different take off run. As the grass was longer in that direction than anticipated, I didn’t want to lift the tail and risk the prop tips. Unlike the VP2 which would take forever to gain speed with the tail down, the T31m leapt off the ground in around 80 yards! The only small change I have made is to add a small aluminium trim tab to the elevator as a very small amount of back pressure is required throughout the speed range.

So all in all, a very successful outcome, and a good chance of getting to the rally ... if this glorious weather doesn't suddenly break!

SS

stiknruda
9th Aug 2006, 21:31
Ivan,

Having built an aeroplane I know where you are - thankfully mine was from a set of drawings and did not require the engineering hoops that you've successfuly jumped through!

It is the BAeA national championship that day so if we finish early or I have to throw my towel in, I intend to hotfoot it down to Kemble on Sat evening.

I'd be delighted if you'd care to show me around your creation, Sat eve or Sunday morning!

Well done!!

Stik

shortstripper
10th Aug 2006, 02:57
Hi Stik and thanks for the compliment,

However, I feel a bit of a fraud as the T31m is not that big a deal. It's a conversion rather than a complete build, and does follow a set of drawings. There are a couple of variations with mine but nothing that clever, and it certainly doesn't rank up there with building a Pitts from scratch ... even one of dubious colour :E

Unless the weather favours Sat/Sun, I was planning to fly in Friday and out on Saturday, so unfortunately I may miss you. If not then I'd happily show you the old/new girl :ok:

SS

S-Works
10th Aug 2006, 08:41
Or with dubious vinyl lettering.....:p

shortstripper
10th Aug 2006, 08:50
Or with dubious vinyl lettering.....

:\ errrr, mine has that too :ouch: ;)

SS