PDA

View Full Version : NPPL Question - IOM & NI

Pudnucker
8th Aug 2006, 20:25
Team,

Quickie....

NPPL - is flying to the Isle Of Man & Northern Ireland allowed??

Answers on a self addressed envelope for a free copy of the CAA's new guide "Easy Understanding Of Aviation Legislation"!!!!

Thanks in advance for the replies!

loaf
9th Aug 2006, 12:58
I know of NPPL holders on the Isle of Man who visit NI, Scotland, England etc, so I think the licence encompasses the areas you mentioned.

Cathar
9th Aug 2006, 17:42
Paragraph 2 of Schedule 8 Part A Section 3 of the Air Navigation Order states that NPPL holders shall not fly a simple single engine aeroplane or a microlight aeroplane outside the United Kingdom except with the permission of the competent authority for the airspace in which he flies. (there are slightly different rules for self launched motor gliders.)

Northern Ireland is part of the UK but the Isle of Man is not. Therefore there is no problem with using the NPPL in the Northern Ireland. However, you will need approval from the Isle of Man government to fly with an NPPL in Isle of Man airspace. The IoM could, of course, issue a general approval but I don't believe that they have done so.

gcolyer
10th Aug 2006, 08:16
There is no problem with the NPPL in the Isle of Man (i have just moved off the island). I know two NPPL pilots that live there and they fly almost daily to either NI, IRL, Scotland and the UK. You can even train for the NPPL on the Isle of man http://www.manxflyersaeroclub.com/