PDA

View Full Version : A Irish Gentleman Who Thought A Good Few Of Us, Killed At The Controls Of His Glider

Command Material
8th Aug 2006, 10:35
:{ Pilot killed in glider crash
A WELL-KNOWN Kilkenny businessman was killed after his glider crashed in a field near an airstrip he had founded.
Martin Mulhall, who was in his late 70s, was one of Kilkenny's best-known businessmen.
He ran a bakery and a restaurant and also had a number of other business interests in the city.
The vastly-experienced pilot was the only occupant of the single-seater glider aircraft when it crashed.
The incident occurred at Kilkenny Airfield on the Tuallaroan Road at around 5.30pm yesterday.
Gardai and units from Kilkenny's emergency services rushed to the scene.
But Mr Mulhall was pronounced dead at the scene and his body was removed to St Luke's Hospital in Kilkenny for a post-mortem examination.
The area was sealed off and personnel from the Air Accident Investigation Unit were last night en route to conduct an investigation.
It is the second tragedy to hit the family.
His daughter, Jennifer, was killed in a car crash in 1992.He is survived by two sons.
RIP MARTIN,
TED

Busbert
8th Aug 2006, 11:18
:sad: RIP Martin, and my condolences to the Mulhalls.
He was a great help to me when I was training as an engineer, Kilkenny is not exactly an aviation hub. He was always approachable and made time to encourage youngsters with an interest in aviation.

mini
8th Aug 2006, 21:23
RIP Martin, can't even begin to imagine what the place will be like without you around.

Condolences to the family.

aerobatic_dude
8th Aug 2006, 23:03
RIP Martin. You'll be greatly missed throughout the entire of Irish Aviation.

My condolences to all family.

The Sandman
9th Aug 2006, 02:57
My guess is that if he had a choice as to how he would like to meet his maker, that that would be the way he would have most desired. May we all live as long and rewarding a life! Best wishes and condolences to his family, though I am sure a gentleman like that will have left you with many great memories.

Bart_Man
9th Aug 2006, 19:05
I'm a Belgian glider pilot, I met Martin only twice in Kilkenny, and flew the K-13 with him once. He left a big impression on me and I thought about him many times afterwards. A very sympathetic man. My condolences to his family.

stiknruda
10th Aug 2006, 07:51
I met Martin last year at Kilkenny and a more helpful man you could not meet. He sorted out transport and accomodation for our 3 ship and was a great ambassador for the town itself.

Godspeed.

Stik