PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Logbook

bcfc
6th Aug 2006, 21:31
I was burgled last night and included in the few things they nicked was my logbook. Now apart from the obvious pain in the :mad: , my licence needs renewing and I was going to be sending it into the CAA tomorrow. Grrr.

So can anyone point me in the right direct as to what I need to do? I did keep a back-up of my logbook on Excel but that obviously doesn't help with the signatures in there. So I can recreate the logbook, but does someone need to endorse it?

Thanks for any assistance. I am currently busy subscribing to the Daily Mail and the hang-'em-&-flog-'em-brigade.

-bcfc

IO540
6th Aug 2006, 21:42
I am sure somebody will post the reference, but last time this came up you were allowed to in effect write your own logbook, and then you swear an oath to certify it.

The signatures, should you actually ever need them, should be retrievable from the schools in question (if in the UK) because they should have records of flights, etc.

Sorry to hear this!

I photograph my logbook and keep the pics on two CDs, one at home and one at work. Too many priceless signatures and FAA stickers & endorsements in there!

Flyin'Dutch'
6th Aug 2006, 21:50
priceless

You mean expensive!

:ok:

dmjw01
7th Aug 2006, 06:28
my licence needs renewing and I was going to be sending it into the CAA tomorrow.
What type of licence, what ratings does it contain, and are you talking about the 5-yearly re-issue?

For the 5-yearly re-issue of a simple PPL containing an SEP rating, there's no need for the CAA to see your logbook. They just want to see your medical certificate.

Mercenary Pilot
7th Aug 2006, 07:56
bcfc

Good job they didnt nick your computer! if you use the printout from your excel copy, that will suffice. If you have signed it to say its correct, the CAA will accept it.

Thanks for any assistance. I am currently busy subscribing to the Daily Mail and the hang-'em-&-flog-'em-brigade.
I feel for you....but the daily mail isnt the way! ;)

Zulu Alpha
7th Aug 2006, 08:16
I agree that you only need your own signature(s) in your logbook. I have a US logbook and it only has my signatures in it. My UK licence and IMC rating (I hope you didn't lose them) has the annual sign off sheet. So I think that all you need to do is print out the excel logbook. Sign each page and then take it with your licence to whoever is doing your renewal.
You didn't say what other signatures you had...maybe sign off for 1st solo etc? These may not matter (apart from sentimental value) as you have your licence.
You could of course buy a new logbook and spend time writing all the flights in it by hand and signing each page but this might take some time.
I feel for you....but the daily mail isnt the way!
Far better to send them on a three week 'life experience' to Africa or somewhere else nice at the taxpayers expense so they can reflect on the error of their ways!!!!

DaveW
7th Aug 2006, 09:23
The CAA "Horse's Mouth" statement is:

Individuals who have lost a logbook and are intending to obtain further licences will be required to obtain a Sworn Affidavit, completed through a solicitor or Commissioner of Oaths, detailing their flying hours to the best of their knowledge. The flying hours should be completed into categories in conjunction with the applicable licence requirements. Please refer to Section A, Page 35 of LASORS as appropriate. This is required in order for us to be able to confirm flying experience, when a further licence is applied for. Individuals who do not intend to obtain any further licence (i.e ATPL holders) are not required to obtain a Sworn Affidavit, but may wish to start a new logbook.

Squat-thrust
7th Aug 2006, 10:38
Sorry to hear abound your logbook bcfc.
Not sure what other guys do but every now and again I photocopy my logbook and keep the copies at my fathers house (think I'll check them later in case he has run out of fire lighters:uhoh:)

bcfc
7th Aug 2006, 21:12
Thanks for the replies.

dmjw01 - It is the 5-yr renewal and according to form SRG1102, I need to send in the form "together with your actual flying logbook(s) and licences." have i miss understood?

Gaseous
8th Aug 2006, 21:54
Check the form very carefully. I have just renewed my 5 year old Jar PPL(H) and I did not have to send my log book. Just the form and my visa number. You only have to send your logbook if the condition stated in section 2 of the form applies. Note the asterisk.

On-MarkBob
9th Aug 2006, 22:03
I too had my log book stolen in a robbery, it's a real bummer. I lost a whole pile of hours I just couldn't proove and the records of many wonderful types I had flown. Having compiled a new record of as much as I could remember and of flights that could be properly verified, I had to go to a solicitor and swear an affidavit to say that as far as I was concered the hours claimed were correct. The CAA accepted that.

Tips for all. Don't use a big commercial logbook. Use the small ones. Complete every other line only. Finish the logbook quickly and put it in your safe, then start a new one and do the same.

If you can, back-up your log book on your computer and save it to one of those little thingys that plug in to your what's it socket. Then put that in the safe or give it to your mum for safe keeping.

Your log book becomes your life in this game, don't let someone take it away. My sincere condolences my friend!!

Bob.

soay
10th Aug 2006, 07:26
A logbook seems a strange thing to steal. Maybe today's news about blowing up passenger planes is making me paranoid, but what's the risk of using them for identity theft?

LD Max
10th Aug 2006, 07:50
A logbook seems a strange thing to steal. Maybe today's news about blowing up passenger planes is making me paranoid, but what's the risk of using them for identity theft?

Theives don't discriminate, they just steal. Anything that's not of value they chuck. If they were entrepreneurial, they might demand a ransom! (then bcfc could trap them and nick them and beat 10 kinds of sh*t out of them of course):eek:

I had my old car stolen from in front of my house a couple of years back. G reg (1990 I think). Nothing in it of value. Apart from unnecessarily writing the car off, they stole the spare wheel and the crappy vauxhall radio cassette which hadn't worked for 2 years. Barmy I know - but then you don't have to be smart to be a criminal.

bcfc: You have my condolences. I keep an excel record, but it's a bit behind the actual logbook. Really time to synchronise the two!

bcfc
10th Aug 2006, 09:56
Thanks for all the responses. I suspect they didn't realise the bag they nicked had my logbook in it. They removed other things from it beforehand. In hindsight, they were quite considerate and it could have been a lot worse.

I have a new logbook now, and Mrs bcfc will start transcribing shortly...well, she's the only one in the house with legible handwriting. :} This time, it will be kept in the safe and only taken out when needed.

Just a thought, if my license had also been stolen, would I be grounded until I had a replacement or is it not to do with the physical possession of the documents?

LD Max
10th Aug 2006, 23:52
This'll clear it up:

CAP393 Air Navigation Order:

Documents to be carried
86 (1) An aircraft shall not fly unless it carries the documents which it is required to carry
under the law of the country in which it is registered.
(2) Subject to paragraph (3), an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom shall, when in
flight, carry documents in accordance with Schedule 10.
(3) If the flight is intended to begin and end at the same aerodrome and does not include
passage over the territory of any country other than the United Kingdom, the
documents may be kept at that aerodrome instead of being carried in the aircraft.

SCHEDULE 10 Articles 86 and 88
Documents to be carried
Circumstances in which documents are to be carried
1 (1) On a flight for the purpose of public transport Documents A, B, C, D, E, F, H and, if
the flight is international air navigation, Documents G and I shall be carried.
(2) On a flight for the purpose of aerial work Documents A, B, C, E, F and, if the flight is
international air navigation, Documents G and I shall be carried.
(3) On a private flight, being international air navigation Documents A, B, C, G and I shall
be carried.
(4) On a flight made in accordance with the terms of a permission granted to the operator
under article 21, Document J shall be carried.
Description of documents
2 For the purposes of this Schedule:
(1) “Document A” means the licence in force under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949(a)
in respect of the aircraft radio station installed in the aircraft;
(2) “Document B” means the certificate of airworthiness in force in respect of the
aircraft; provided that, where the certificate of airworthiness includes the flight
manual for the aircraft, with the permission of the CAA, an aircraft to which article 38
applies need not carry the flight manual as part of this document;
(3) “Document C” means the licences of the members of the flight crew of the aircraft;
(4) “Document D” means one copy of the load sheet, if any, required by article 43 in
respect of the flight;
(5) “Document E” means one copy of each certificate of maintenance review, if any, in
force in respect of the aircraft;
(6) “Document F” means the technical log, if any, in which entries are required to be
made under article 15;
(7) “Document G” means the certificate of registration in force in respect of the aircraft;
(8) “Document H” means those parts of the operations manual, if any, required by article
38(2)(c) to be carried on the flight;
(9) “Document I” means a copy of the notified procedures to be followed by the pilot in
command of an intercepted aircraft, and the notified visual signals for use by
intercepting and intercepted aircraft;
(10) “Document J” means the permission, if any, granted in respect of the aircraft under
article 21; provided that, with the permission of the CAA, an aircraft to which article
38 applies need not carry such a permission if it carries an operations manual which
includes the particulars specified at sub-paragraph (1)(q) of Part A of Schedule 9.
Definitions
3 For the purposes of this Schedule:
“International air navigation” means any flight which includes passage over the territory
of any country other than the United Kingdom, except any of the Channel Islands, the Isle
of Man or any other relevant overseas territory to which there is power to extend the Civil
Aviation Act 1982(b) under section 108(1) of that Act.

jpat_sw
14th Aug 2006, 05:15
I too had my logbook stolen many months ago, it really made me sick that all my expensive and memorable flight time was taken by some petty lame ass thief. I had been keeping things sort of up to date in an Excel file on my work and home PCs. But they were not totally current. I had to reconstruct much of my previous time by digging up FBO rental history, aircraft logs etc. It took a while, I also had my endorsements and sign offs photo copied so I've got most everything back in order. I did some research and wanted to store my time safely someplace where it could not fall prey to viruses, faulty PCs, fire, theft etc. I found a service online that stores all flight time securely and performs backups each night. I have talked to people at the company and they are great and very helpful. There are about 50 members storing their time as of the last time I talked to someone in support. I can access my logbook data from anywhere and I'm no longer bound to one computer. It is called AvJournal and it is very well designed and easy to use. I update my logbook online about every week and can run many reports and export my whole logbook and print as well. I decided I didn't want to be stuck with or rely on a single computer for my flight data, so far it has served me well. They are going to be creating some needed improvments, but it is worth the $30.00 per year in my eyes. If you are interested in protecting your logbook, check it out.

Jim

ormus55
14th Aug 2006, 09:57
ld max, you are right about criminals being stupid.
i had a ford transit van stolen some few yrs ago. when i got it back some hours later, they had stolen the plywood wheel arch covers from inside!

ive never got over that. beyond my comprehension.

BRL
14th Aug 2006, 12:28
That reminds me of the bike thieves who were almost caught red-handed stealing a bike worth thousands. They escaped from the scene and were stopped shortly after, up the road. In the back of the van were two brand new sports bikes worth a few thousand. The robbers said they hadn't touched the bikes, they had just nicked the van with the bikes already in the back and got away with just stealing the van. :ugh: :ugh:

jpat_sw
14th Aug 2006, 17:36
The bone heads that stole my flight bag out of my truck missed my Ping golf clubs in the back worth about $800.00. Guess criminals aren't worried about having good equipment on the golf course.

:ugh: I'm still pissed about the logbook though.

Jim

ormus55
14th Aug 2006, 17:45
funniest one i heard was a mate who had an old scruffy yamaha 125 dirt bike stolen from his shed. he reported it and never heard a thing back from the police. he wasnt bothered as he had bought it as a wreck to refurbish. he wasnt insured either.

2 yrs later he got a call from the police, we have your bike here! at first he didnt know what they were talking about?
they said to come and collect it from the greater manchester police pound.
when he got there the bike was in stunning condition!!!
what a result eh?

(the thief had sold it to someone who had refurbished it. poor sod).

bcfc
18th Aug 2006, 12:49
Apologies for resurecting my own thread, but Plod may have caught the burglar. Our local Serpico was checking out a junk store and saw an iPod. Thinking it was a strange thing to be selling, checked the books and gave me a call. My dodgy taste in music helped identify it as mine, so they at least have an arrest for handling stolen goods, that may then lead to the thief. Rekindles faith in the local bobby - she lives in our village!

:D