PDA

View Full Version : Crash near Denham airfield?

EGLD
5th Aug 2006, 19:46
Just heard a friend who was nearby said he heard the crash of a small commuter type aircraft onto the nearby Golf Course at Denham

Nothing on the news

Roffa
5th Aug 2006, 20:24
Heard reports of a C310 with 6 POB, no other info though.

ATCO17
5th Aug 2006, 20:32
A Cessna 310 with four on board came down in trees on Denham golf coarse after reporting finals. All on board ok with minor injuries. Very lucky.:ok:

rotorcraig
5th Aug 2006, 22:11
Now being reported on the Sky News (http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1229853,00.html) website:

Six Saved from Light Aircraft Wreckage
Updated: 22:37, Saturday August 05, 2006

Six people have been rescued after after a light aircraft carrying six crashed on a golf course.

The twin-engined plane went down in a wooded area of the course close to Denham Airfield near Gerrards Cross in Buckinghamshire.

A spokesman for Thames Valley Police said all six had been taken to hospital but their injuries were not thought to be serious.

He said the people on the plane were all adult males except for one teenage boy aged about 13.

A spokesman for Denham Airfield said the aircraft had been based there.

He said the party of six had left the airfield at lunchtime for a day trip to Teesside and the accident happened on their return.and from the BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/5249550.stm) website:

Plane carrying six people crashes

A light aircraft with six people on board has crashed on a golf course in Buckinghamshire.

Six people were pulled from the wreckage and taken to hospital after the plane came down in woods close to the 13th hole of Denham Golf Course.

A Denham Airfield spokesman said the plane crashed near the airfield at about 1900 BST as the group returned from a day-trip to Teesside.

Police said the 57-year-old pilot was seriously injured.

The pilot, four other men aged 53, 52, 45 and 43 and a 10-year-old boy were also taken to Wexham Park Hospital.

The passengers are all said to be in stable conditions.

The plane, believed to be a twin-engine Cessna 310, took off from Denham airfield, where it is kept by the owner, at 1200 BST on Saturday.

A spokesman for the Thames Valley Police said members of the public had reported a twin-engine aircraft going down in a wooded area of a the golf course, close to the airfield which is near Gerrards Cross.

He said: "The plane crashed near Slade Oak Lane near the 13th hole.

"The area surrounding the crash site has been sealed off in order for air accident investigators to gather evidence."

Air Accident investigators and Thames Valley Police will continue examining the wreckage on Sunday.
RC

Edited to add BBC News report

DenhamPPL
5th Aug 2006, 22:36
Glad all are ok - am training at Denham.

neilmac
5th Aug 2006, 23:46
So glad they are ok, speedy recovery to them all

ex Denham FISO

172 driver
6th Aug 2006, 01:06
Anyone know who was involved?

(also ex Denham FISO)

172driver
6th Aug 2006, 09:12
Oh dear - that would fit someone I know (and can't reach at the moment). Anyone know a/c reg or other details ? Worried....

172driver
6th Aug 2006, 09:47
OK, managed to find out it wasn't my mate who bent some aluminium.... would still be interested to know more. Very glad everyone's ok :D !!

valenii
6th Aug 2006, 11:05
I was at the airfield when the crash happened.

It was not a Cessna 310 but a Cessna 303 Crusader, I think G-PTWB - but that was the least of my concerns at the time, and I do not know for sure.

I heard an engine "bang" followed by silence and a "thump". The aircraft had called finals before the incident.

Apparantly - I did not see it - it dropped a wing, and then "fell sideways" into the trees, which broke the fall, effectively "righting" the aircraft to a level attitude before it actually reached the ground, (with various bits broken off). I think the trees saved those guys lives.

Since it was not on the airfield it was not immediately clear to us if something had gone down, no smoke, etc.

However we immediately told the tower what we heard and feared, and by that time all the emergency procedures were being activated.

EGLD
6th Aug 2006, 14:57
The aircraft contained, amongst others, former QPR and now Swindon chairman Bill Power

CLUB STATEMENT
Swindon Town FC can confirm that three high-profile members of the club were involved in a light aircraft incident on Saturday evening.

The three club officials were travelling back from the opening day fixture at Hartlepool United by plane when the aircraft came down at Denham Golf Course in Buckinghamshire just after 7pm.

The pilot, four other men aged 53, 52, 45 and 43 and a 10-year-old boy were taken to Wexham Park Hospital.

Whilst injuries have been sustained, none are thought to be life threatening and a further update will be issued as soon as more details become available.

IB4138
6th Aug 2006, 19:22
Power is NOT the Chairman of Swindon Town.

That position is held by Willie Carson.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
6th Aug 2006, 20:24
Power is NOT the Chairman of Swindon Town.
That position is held by Willie Carson.

Swindon Town has a chairman? Most towns have mayors.

SSD

rotorcraig
6th Aug 2006, 22:47
BBC News: (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/5250344.stm)

Football officials on crash plane

Three senior officials of a football club were among six people on board a light aircraft that crashed on a golf course in Buckinghamshire.

The Cessna 310 came down in woods close to Denham Golf Course on Saturday.

The pilot, aged 57, was seriously injured. He was taken to hospital with four other men and a boy.

Swindon Town Football Club confirmed three officials were injured in the crash as they flew back from the first match of the season at Hartlepool.

'Sealed off'

The passengers, aged 53, 52, 45 and 43 and a 10-year-old boy, are all said to be in a stable condition.

All six injured people were taken to Wexham Park Hospital.

A Denham Airfield spokesman said the plane crashed near the airfield at about 1900 BST on Saturday.

A spokesman for Thames Valley Police said members of the public had reported a twin-engine aircraft going down in a wooded area of the golf course.

Air accident investigators have been examining the wreckage of the aircraft and the site remained sealed off on Sunday.RC

chevvron
7th Aug 2006, 07:48
Aircraft have been ending up on this golf course for many years, so it's nothing new.
I remember cases of pilots complaining about being hit by golf balls when landing or taking off, then there was the guy who put AVTUR in his piston engine and didn't get airborne; ended up on the fairway.

Tuned In
7th Aug 2006, 15:57
Anyone know who the operator was?

airborne_artist
7th Aug 2006, 16:21
The aircraft reg quoted above appears to be correct. Use G-INFO to get the info on it/owner/operator. It appears it was being flown by the owner, who is reported to be badly injured.

Lister Noble
7th Aug 2006, 16:32
Airborne,
I see you are so young.
Does your age work like a trip odometer in a car,ie,goes back to zero after 100.:D :D ;) ;)
Sorry
Lister:E

neilmac
7th Aug 2006, 18:51
172 Driver check your PMs

NM

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Aug 2006, 20:58
Aircraft have been ending up on this golf course for many years, so it's nothing new.

Including the Blenheim (the first one the Duxford team restored) when the pilot did a low pass at Denham them opened the throttles a tad too rapidly. Both engines died in rich-cut and the aeroplane was wrecked on the golf course. No serious casualties, thankfully (except the aeroplane).

SSD

Tuned In
8th Aug 2006, 16:57
airborne_artist

I'd already looked!

That gives the owner but not the operator (the owner doesn't hold an AOC, I checked on the CAA's list). I was curious about the operator, as I am a GA pilot but don't know of any 303 on an AOC - they are not common types for public transport. There must be an AOC operator, to make the charter legal. Any subsequent investigation will have as many consequences for the operator as for the pilot/owner, assuming as we all hope that he lives to fly again.

eyeinthesky
8th Aug 2006, 18:18
If the owner/operator was flying at his own full cost and no financial reward from the others in the aircraft was involved then it was not a charter. No AOC required. Of course cost-sharing is not an option with 6 on board.

(I know there a host of other restrictions as well. I just wanted to point out that just because there were 6 people on board and some of them were businessmen it does not automatically make it a public transport flight).

airborne_artist
8th Aug 2006, 19:42
Tuned-in - Check the record for G-IKAP.

All the others are clearly used only for private use.

jeppsbore
8th Aug 2006, 20:43
Airborne artist

not sure how you justify your comment that "all the others are clearly used only for private use" G-IKAP according to G-INFO was on public transport but its C of A expired in 2005, G-GAME is the only one on a private C of A and the other ten are on an EASA standard C of A which is non specific so they can be operated commercially if required.

However, anyone got any more details as to what actually happened, hope all is well for all those on board.

JB

Twiddle
8th Aug 2006, 20:59
Why is cost sharing not an option?

If I rented a 6 seater and took 5 friends, could they not all pay a 1/6 or is there an upper limit of seats for cost sharing?

youngskywalker
8th Aug 2006, 21:39
Maximum of 4 for cost sharing I believe.

rotorcraig
8th Aug 2006, 21:48
Think that's right ... CAP 393 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.PDF) says under Article 160 "Public transport and aerial work - exceptions - cost sharing" on page 157:

Subject to paragraph (4), a flight shall be deemed to be a private flight if the only valuable consideration given or promised in respect of the flight or the purpose of the flight falls within paragraph (2) and the criteria in paragraph (3) are satisfied.(3) The criteria in this paragraph are satisfied if:
(a) no more than 4 persons (including the pilot) are carried;
(b) etc...However as eyeinthesky said above, if no valuable consideration is given or promised then there is no issue here anyway.

RC

Tuned In
9th Aug 2006, 14:02
I realise that some of the reporting has been rather inaccurate (what do we pay the BBC for, if their journalists don't even know how to find out an aircraft type? OK so it appears only the Sun got it right, but we are not forced to pay other rap journalists) but some did describe the aircraft as having been "chartered" for the passengers. It might indeed not be the case. Anyone have any reason to confirm or deny the newspapers' assumption? Or know who the operator was if it was chartered?

Any further reports on the condition of the pilot?