PDA

View Full Version : New Learners ?

microman
2nd Aug 2006, 22:13
I've recently started to learn to fly and I am working my way through the PPL(A) in Bedfordshire (I'm in St Albans). Is there anyone else on the forum who has just started ?

runway09
2nd Aug 2006, 22:43
Hi Microman.

Yes i am an new learner who has just started my PPL with 2hrs 20mins flying time so far after my lesson today and hope to have over 4hrs by the end of the week (lessons tomorrow and friday).

I am currently learning at Aeros in Filton, Bristol flying PA28's.

microman
3rd Aug 2006, 17:07
Nice to meet you -

I just had a quick look at a Cherokee (on the web) - looks a bit less exposed to the elements than my trainer (Thruster T600N) but its been nice to go up with the doors off in the last few weeks when it has been so hot - I'm trying to go up weekly and the last lesson was ascending and descending turns - the Thruster doesn't have flaps so I don't have to worry about that. I'm up to 4 3/4 hours now and will hopefully be up to 6 hours (saturday) and getting worried about landings which seems to be the most complicated part:{ . I'm using Jeremy Pratt's book 'The Private Pilot's Licence Course' which seems to be the best one I have come across for teaching basic flying skills.

How do you feel you're getting on ?

Lister Noble
3rd Aug 2006, 17:58
Welcome and good luck to both of you.
Keep posting,quite a few of us are just qualified or still students and may be able to help with the odd thing..
Lister:)

microman
3rd Aug 2006, 19:00
Thanks for that Lister

stiknruda
3rd Aug 2006, 21:35
I've been flying for quite a few years and I learn something about flying every day - so stick in there and as Lister says most of us on here are here to help!

Stik

JHM
3rd Aug 2006, 22:26
Hi all,

Microman, i am a new learner, taking lessons in Beds too, which club do you fly with?

runway09
3rd Aug 2006, 22:34
Thanks for the kind words Lister and Stik its good to know there are people out there on hand to lend advice to us newbies :)

I too am learning from the Pratts books and brought them as a set with all the other things i will need for my PPL (flight comp, maps, knee board etc).

As for the flying i feel i am getting on ok just seem to be fighting the weather to get airbourne as it seems as if everytime i have a lesson scheduled the weather is not good enough to go up. I guess its one of those things! :rolleyes:

The FI's at my FTO (Aeros @ Filton, Bristol) are a great bunch of guys and really friendly and are happy to answer any questions i ever have.

I just want to get on with it now and fly!

theresalwaysone
4th Aug 2006, 00:02
Just to say hello all and good luck.

Ive been flying 33 years and sit in the left hand seat of a computer with wings but I had more fun in light aircraft and have to say i envy you!

Plenty of advice on here, some of it good!

Would i be correct in saying you are flying at Cranfield?

Regards and safe flying

microman
4th Aug 2006, 16:05
Thanks for all the replies and especially the encouragement from experienced aviators. Hi JHM = As I am learning in the fixed-wing microlight category I am taking lessons from Bedford Microlight Centre just outside of Sandy (PM me if you want to compare notes). The runway is a grass strip - and a friendly helpful FI.

My first few lessons have been about mid-day during the recent hot spell so very thermally this side of the country but as the hot spell seems to have dissipated it'll be interesting to see what it will be like in the cooler weather. I was getting blown around a bit last saturday as the cold front was moving in - any experiences of first landings would be fascinating to hear !

raviolis
4th Aug 2006, 16:05
Ive been flying 33 years and sit in the left hand seat of a computer with wings but I had more fun in light aircraft and have to say i envy you!

I'll swap your Airbus for a 152 anytime ! And your salary as well ;)

BroomstickPilot
5th Aug 2006, 08:35
Runway09,

The one piece of advice I would give to a beginner in the UK would be to expect more than half of your bookings to be cancelled because of bad Wx. A further few will be cancelled because of A/C 'going technical' or into servicing or the instructor going sick.

I would say book more lessons than you really want, because at most times of the year you will lose half of them for the reasons given above. You can always cancell any you can't afford the day before.

Here's another tip. You will need a bag to carry your nav instruments, kneeboard and eventually headset in. Argos sell a Pierre Cardin pilot bag for £20 that is every bit as good as ones Transair and others sell for very much more.

Here's another. All your nav instruments (rulers, protractors, etc) are made from trasparent plastic and invariably have both 1:500,000 and 1:250,000 scale markings. In practice, you will only use one scale, (usually the 1:500,000) and you invariably 'lose' these instruments because you can't see them when they are lying on the chart. Worse still, it is all too easy to use the wrong scale when you are planning your flight. Here's what you do. You paint the back surface of the scale you DO use with Tippex. This means the protractor/ruler will be very much easier to use and you won't 'lose' the protractor/ruler on the chart or use the wrong scale when planning your flight.

There are loads more. Watch the experienced pilots in your FTO or club and you'll learn a good deal more.

Moderators, why don't we have a 'sticky' Called 'Tips and Wheezes for Newbies' to hold the little things we all learn eventually, (but not before we have wasted money or time first,) that make life so much easier.

Good luck to all newbies: welcome to the world of flying.

Broomstick.

potkettleblack
5th Aug 2006, 09:46
I have three bits of advice for newbies:-

1) invest in a decent set of headsets and get away as quickly as you can from using the tired old club sets that deform your head and leave you with sore ears.

2) try to negotiate a CRP5 if you purchase a starter pack cos if you go commercial then you will end up throwing away the trusty old CRP1

3) make your instructor teach you the wind down method for wind velocity calcuations. If you end up going commercial then you will find this is the only reliable method.

PS: I just checked out the Argos website and that NAV bag looks quite nifty for £20. Cheers Broomstick.

theresalwaysone
6th Aug 2006, 00:32
I'll swap your Airbus for a 152 anytime ! And your salary as well ;)
No thanks, well not the salary anyway but Raviolis when you get to my age you will look at that C152 and my aircraft(maybe not an Airbus) and know who the real pilot is!

Microman- and JHM -get your instructors to show you TWINWOODS FARM airfield its where Glen Miller took off from during WW2 never to be seen again and its where the Great Train Robbers hid after the robbery.

If you need anymore useless information just ask!

tangovictor
6th Aug 2006, 00:45
I guess I am lucky, the school im learning with, supply all the books, nav equipment, hi-viz vest, fuel tester, map, etc all in a very large bag, and along with all exams, for a great price, Its for the nppl m licence, but as I have no aspirations to fly commercially or at night / instruments only, it suits me prefectly, all for £2999, what a Bargain.

kevwal
6th Aug 2006, 15:06
Hi TangoVic / All

One tip for anyone thinking about or just starting to learn, it is going to take more than the minimum number of hours to pass your test, and hence more than the minimum cost.

For example, 3k all in for an NPPL M sounds like a bargain, but plan to spend 6k, and then hopefully be pleasantly supprised when you have 500 or 1000 quid left over.

Everyone is different and it will vary depending on Aptitude, Age, Consistancy of lessons, previous experiance etc. If you want to pass cheaply then get several hours a week of lessons every week and you will pass in less hours than someone only flying an hour a week.

Just my 2p.

FYI I am currently 20+ hours in to an NPPL M Fixed wing with Flylight @ Sywell, Northamptonshire. Any other Flylight people around?

Cheers
Kev

bar shaker
6th Aug 2006, 17:47
Microman

Are you learning with Chris 'Slippery' Childs? If so you won't find a better instructor.

I suspect you are working towards your NPPL (M), in the Thruster, rather than a PPL (A).

Good luck with the training.

bar shaker
6th Aug 2006, 17:53
Kev

I took my NPPL (M) GFT at 17 hours and passed so its perfectly feasible to finish the course on budget.

It seemed strange wracking up the rest of the solo hours, after my GFT, so that I could then send off for my licence.

runway09
6th Aug 2006, 18:05
Thanks for the advice guys. These comments are great! Really appreciate them.

kevwal
6th Aug 2006, 21:19
Kev
I took my NPPL (M) GFT at 17 hours and passed so its perfectly feasible to finish the course on budget.
It seemed strange wracking up the rest of the solo hours, after my GFT, so that I could then send off for my licence.

Congrats bar shaker, but I get the impression your the 1 in a hundred that do :)

Did you have lots of experiance before you started, be it in group A PIC or RHS etc?

Cheers
Kev

tangovictor
6th Aug 2006, 21:41
i agree, well done bar *s* what an inspriation, I figured maybe another 10 hours extra, I would be disapointed to need double

microman
6th Aug 2006, 22:27
Yes on both counts - Chris is instructing me and I am very impressed with his patience, tolerance etc ... I expect I am an errrrm slow learner but he keeps his cool and has an excellent sense of humour -

I'm now six and a bit hours in and both Chris and the Thruster are still in good shape. I think I have just finished ascending and descending turns and I am about to start 'the circuit' - but I am still grappling with the TLA's and unfamiliar language -

Yes my mistake, the syllabus is called PPL (A) Microlight - though it would be best to learn to fly something I might be able to afford !

bar shaker
7th Aug 2006, 12:15
Congrats bar shaker, but I get the impression your the 1 in a hundred that do :)
Did you have lots of experiance before you started, be it in group A PIC or RHS etc?
Cheers
Kev

No previous flying experience.

Slinks
7th Aug 2006, 21:24
Hi everyone,

im looking for some advice from anyone who has undergone PPL training in the north west. I live on the Wirral and want to start PPL training sooner
rather than later.

I am considering starting training either at Chester Flying School based at
Hawarden airport or Liverpool Flying School based at liverpool airport. I
live pretty much halfway between and would like to make my decision based on where i will get the most out of the training.

Have any of you trained at either of these FTOs? I would appreciate any
comments, both positive and negative to help me with my decision.

Thanks

Slinks

MizzFlyer
9th Aug 2006, 07:58
Kev
I took my NPPL (M) GFT at 17 hours and passed so its perfectly feasible to finish the course on budget. It helps to be young when you learn.
I'm also told you can save quite a few hours training by being taught by an instructor who will also be your flight examiner.

mazzy1026
9th Aug 2006, 08:58
Hey guys - only just found this thread - best of luck to you all - I remember writing my first post like this, not a million years ago! You will look back soon and wonder how the hell you did it!

Enjoy every step and learn from the bad times :ok:

Lee ;)

JHM
5th Sep 2006, 18:45
Anyone know a decent place to get a medical done in North London?

J

tangovictor
5th Sep 2006, 21:41
Anyone know a decent place to get a medical done in North London?

J

if your wanting a CAA type medical ? go to the CAA site, find medical and it lists Doctors certified to do so, If your talking nppl your GP can do it, download the form from the BMAA site

maggioneato
6th Sep 2006, 07:27
Slinks Hi. Go and visit both, then decide on what you find, you will get the feel for what is right for you and how you are treated on your visits. I learnt to fly at Liverpool then moved to Hawarden. Left there to fly from a grass strip which I still do. Don't pay upfront anywhere.

ormus55
6th Sep 2006, 10:21
im also a ppl/nppl learner. been at it off and on for yrs. time and money problems interfere. you all know the story.

2 questions re the medical.

does anyone know the actual figures requirement for the lung capacity test? im asthmatic and have a feeling i would fail the ppl medical.

also i thought the nppl was a self certified medical. ie similar to driving a car?

maggioneato
6th Sep 2006, 11:54
Can't help with the lung capacity figures.
www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=873 Should give you the information you need re the GP sign off for the NPPL

east_sider
6th Sep 2006, 12:29
Hi Microman & Runway09

I've just started, slightly over 2 hours having lost quite a few booked in lessons to WX in the last month! I'm at Stapleford on the trusty C-152s.

How are you getting on with groundschool? Decided to tackle Air Law first, required before solo (maybe everywhere?), half of it seems logical, easy and I can remember it no worries, as for the rest I guess I'll just have to hammer it in somehow!

Taking the advice above I've got quite a few lessons booked in the next few weeks, hoping to get hours up by the end of Sept. Aim at the moment is first solo before Xmas, famous last words!! But I'm finding the concept of landing bl00dy scary as well right now, loving everything else about it.

Look forward to reading everyone's progress.

cheers
Ian

rusty_y2k2
6th Sep 2006, 12:50
Hey, i'm pretty new too... just flown a lesson taking me up to about 5 hrs total (been flying roughly a lesson a week) - been flying circuits for the last 3 lessons and have got the hang of the touch and goes pretty well (landing isn't a problem, but missing the centreline is frustrating!). Somewhat scarily my instructor was already talking about solo circuits within the next few hours last week and got me studying up on the Law books and told me to book a medical :eek:.

Training at White Waltham by the by... comes highly recomended! Good luck to all you fellow newbies, and may your take-offs always be followed by landings ;)

JHM
6th Sep 2006, 18:38
Tell me about it easy, landing scares the hell out of me, tried my first one today and ended up bouncing down the runway.:ugh: Seems to be so much to take in doing the circuits, and so little time, but i'm sure i will get the hang of it (i hope) :-)

davidatter708
7th Sep 2006, 18:12
For landings you need to find a way that suits you best. I'm currently 16hrs and doing solo nav's and i've tried a couple of different methods of landings here are three i tried
1. stay high and then cut the power and float the whole way down like a practise forced landing. This is ok except that you might find that it is difficult to judge the flair
2. Use some power (c152 about 1500rpm) 700 ft final and use a powered decent and then when over the threshold power to idle and flair when appropiate
however the one i find the best and maybe not the most used is
3. lower final than usual and then keep height with more power so you drag the aircraft in this gives a flatter decsent so it is easier to judge the flair when you get there. be aware however that as soon as you reduce the power when over the threshold your speed will drop and you will stall so only take the power back when your about 3ft then power back and a nice flair should give you nice landing.
However it depends on the conditions such as wind speed and direction and what you are happiest with so try them out and see what u think
hope this helps
David

runway09
8th Sep 2006, 23:55
Hello East Sider / All

I am on to about 8 hrs now and progressing nicely - so my instructor says.

Like you I am going to be taking my Air Law exam 1st and I am working on reading my Law book as much as possible. This is so I have no delays in going up for my 1st solo. I know we are going to be doing circuits over next lessons and then thinking about that solo :eek:

I know what you mean about landings! Getting up is fine its coming back down again. But on my last lesson my instructor decided to talk me down the approach and before I knew it (after a small balloon) I had landed the thing!

The best thing - and I am no expert here I have found its just small adjustments in attitude and power that work for me. From what I remember I have been told as soon as I cross the runway threshold to idle the power and keep a straight and level and then a gentle pull back should do it (this worked last time and I had a gentle landing). I am learning in a PA28.

I know the airport I am learning at (Filton, Bristol) is not the best as its so bloody long and wide that the perception is very different to most other runways, which could cause me probs in the future (only ever landed at Filton).

I have a few lessons booked but next time I get to the school think im going to get some more booked up (Its getting addictive!). I have my medical booked for 2nd Oct.

As for ground school I am thinking this may be the way for me because whenever I set some time by for study this goes out the window, whereas if pay for some tuition then I will def want to go and get my moneys worth!
I have brought a PPL confuser as advised and this helps a bit.

tangovictor
9th Sep 2006, 00:19
i have the Jeremy Pratt books, however I also purchased Oxford Aiation training cd roms, Practical Flying & Airlaw, I have to say, its so much easier,
I watch the lesson Im going to take next, on the cd, it just sinks in,
with the airlaw cd, there's even a test for each section, without a doubt
I would recommend them, I do not work of them either, I believe, if you call them, they supply a taster cd,

runway09
9th Sep 2006, 01:37
Thanks for the advice Tango.

I did see them in the Transair catalogue and they do really look good. I am using the Pratt set of books too. But as i said i just cant get into reading them for hrs at a time.

I am def starting to think ground school or the CD roms are way to go. Do you know if its Transair or Oxford School that you have to ring for the sample CD?

tangovictor
9th Sep 2006, 07:59
Thanks for the advice Tango.
I did see them in the Transair catalogue and they do really look good. I am using the Pratt set of books too. But as i said i just cant get into reading them for hrs at a time.
I am def starting to think ground school or the CD roms are way to go. Do you know if its Transair or Oxford School that you have to ring for the sample CD?

not sure, I brought mine from Oxford, at the PFA rally, give them a call

Happyeater
9th Sep 2006, 09:25
Good luck everyone. The important thing is to enjoy your flying and not to hurry. I'm 42 yrs old and always wanted to fly, I was convinced that I'd pass at (or around) 45 hours. I suppose it became a target and to an extent it began to spoil my lessons. The reason for that was, if I had a poor lesson (like steep turns) which took a couple of lessons to get something like decent, I considered that to have put me off my target of 45 hours, which led to a bit of dissappointment.

It was a daft thing to do. My first instructor told me after around 8-9 hours that I wasn't far from circuits and should get a medical and Air Law done so I could solo "Quite soon". Due to a change of instructors, the Club going bust and bad weather (which required refresher lessons) I solo'd at 21 hours. Do you know what, it doesn't matter! Eventually I got my PPL at just under 60 hours but I was ready and confident. I thought my Nav was good until an Instructor called Keith took me flying. Honestly, I knew nothing. He taught me more in two lessons on Nav than I'd learned from any book and 50 hours in the air.

So, take your time, its not a race. Rather be a safe pilot that someone who 'just does enough' to get the PPL licence. Now, before I get 'shot down' there are good pilots with a PPL with under 46 hours in their book but I'm simply trying to say that your PPL is an experience and the more you learn the more you'll enjoy flying and the longer you may live.

http://www.happyflyboy.blog-city.com/

Every lesson is posted over a 22 month period in the blog.

tangovictor
9th Sep 2006, 13:25
im also a ppl/nppl learner. been at it off and on for yrs. time and money problems interfere. you all know the story.

2 questions re the medical.

does anyone know the actual figures requirement for the lung capacity test? im asthmatic and have a feeling i would fail the ppl medical.

also i thought the nppl was a self certified medical. ie similar to driving a car?

there's 2 places for your GP to tick
1 - same as a HGV therefore in his opinion you can fly, and take a passenger/s
2 - general driving standard, if this box is ticked you cannot take a passenger
so be very careful, to explain to you GP, which you require, and on a final note, don't let him, or settle for a tick in both boxes, one deleted and initialed
its VOIDED should that happen

spitfires rule
10th Sep 2006, 03:45
Hi microman
I am just starting aswell was going to have my first lesson today but the weather crapped out so now it won't be until Friday:( .
Good luck with your training.
Spitfires rule

east_sider
4th Nov 2006, 12:15
What great weather for flying today (near London anyway).

How is everyone getting on? I'm up to 8.5 hours after this morning, Stalling and Slow flight next then I'm about ready for circuits I think.

Also managed to pass Air Law last week at first attempt - phew. My instructor reckons Principles of Flight is a good one to go for next, but I'm a bit worried about RT, practical anyway, so maybe starting that early would be better.

Microman, JHM, Runway09 how are you guys progressing?

cheers all.

JHM
4th Nov 2006, 16:21
Hi, East sider.

Congratulations on your air law, I on the other hand failed mine, I will give it another go next week. I have clocked up about 12 hours now and done a few circuits, which worked out well. I am being bombarded with Nav exercises now, which has just gone right over my head. I guess it's not as easy as i thought it would be, where do you fly from round London?

Regards

JHM

runway09
4th Nov 2006, 22:25
Hey east_sider,

Yeah still trying to crack on with the flying although recently its taken a bashing due to work comitments, bad weather, etc.

Congrats on the Air Law pass! :D JHM no worries sure you will get it next time, i am dreading the taking of mine as im still finding the Ground Studies hard.

Im up to around 15 hrs i think now and i am quite well established in the circuits. I have not taken the Air Law exam yet, but did pass the medical (after parting with £130 :{ ). Hoping to take the Air Law some time soon.

My next lesson is on Thurs, really hoping that weather is going to be ok. I have quite a few lessons coming up so i would like to think i would of had the Air Law and 1st solo out of the way before Xmas.

Good to hear from you guys, :)

Runway09

tow1709
5th Nov 2006, 20:25
Hi all.
3.1 hours so far in my "logbook" which is still the souvenir one they give you after a trial lesson. Must get around to buying a proper one soon!
I had a first trial lesson a few weeks ago in a PA-28 Archer, with wife and son as very trusting passengers in the back, and have since had two "proper" lessons with the same instructor in PA-38 Tomahawks. These seem much more lively aircraft, especially in the gusty wind we had today.
Another lesson scheduled for next weekend, but with Christmas coming up fast, I may not get too many more lessons in until after the New Year.
As you can see, I'm a bit older than many PPL students, but I think by no means alone in this age bracket.
Would be pleased to hear from any other students training in the MK43 post code area - or anywhere else for that matter - to swap experiences and exchange wisdom (what little I have so far!)
Safe landings to all!

JHM
6th Nov 2006, 14:30
Hi, Tow.

I'm learning in MK, out of Cranfield, which i'm guessing where you are too, what FTO are you with?

JHM

east_sider
6th Nov 2006, 21:55
JHM - I'm learning at Stapleford, enjoying it so far, really good instructor. I tried a few places before deciding on there, major factor is its 30 mins drive, where as its 1 hour plus to Denham or Elstree. And clearly going south of the river wasn't an option :yuk:

Weavers_Wings
7th Nov 2006, 11:07
Hi Everyone!!

I started to learn to fly the end of last year... But couldnt afford much flying time as i booked a holiday at the start of the year that had took quite alot of my earnings up, and for the last 4 lessons i couldn't get up because of the weather!
I've always wanted to fly... for as long as i can remember and now i'm almost 23 i think i need to pull my socks up and start concentrating hard! I'm flying a Robin HR-200 out of Wellesbourne in the midlands. been doing quite alot of ground revision when either the weather is tooooo bad (NEARLY ALL THE TIME:suspect:) or money is a bit tight!!

Ad:)

Merritt
7th Nov 2006, 12:08
Hiya...

Im only just starting out as well. Ive currently got 1hr in a PA28 - flying out of Thruxton. I'm working hard to get the air law exam out of the way before too much longer & feel like im almost ready to go for it. Check out my other thread on Class C Airspace if you're learning though because it appears ive already found a misprint in the air law book!

Happy flying!

Steve

Weavers_Wings
7th Nov 2006, 22:43
Hey Steve...

I've flown a PA28 Warrior III, G-GYTO from Wellesbourne, My first trail flight and i took my Girlfriend up for an hour because she'd never flown before and we're off to Australia for Crimbo (:\23 hours:\) Even though it's totally different from the Massive B747-400... I know if she can handle me flying she'll have no worries with a Captain with a few thousand hours under his belt!!

Are you going to learn with the same instructor every lesson?? ooh and how much you payin per Hr... if you dont mind me asking??

Fly safe!!

Ad:ok::ok::ok:

Merritt
8th Nov 2006, 07:35
Hi Ad,

Nothing like throwing your girlfriend in at the deep end!! I hope she enjoyed it but just remember to feed her with a few Vodka and cokes on the Oz flight.. It'll help loose a few hours :)

With regards to my flying lessons, I am definitely planning to stick with the same instructor as much as possible. He is also the CFI at Thruxton so he'll be marking my exams and skill tests!

Unfortunately its costing £132 per hour inc VAT (wet) but that seems to be around the going rate. I could have taken my flying instruction at Popham in a C42 for a much lower hourly rate (£80ph) but that would only get me my NPPL rating and the C42 is officially a microlight. I really like the idea of getting additional ratings at some point in the future when I have got the PPL and a few hours under my belt so the NPPL was a no go...

Cheers,

Steve

Weavers_Wings
8th Nov 2006, 10:28
I't might shut her up a little bit too!!

Yeah the C42 looks a little too micro!! but hey flying is flying I'd strap a kite to my back if it would mean an extra entry in my log book!

I want to do the same... Get my night rating, My IMC etc etc...

You ever concidered learning in the USA... It's faster and cheaper?? I Can't decide as i know its going to take some converting over!

Ad

Merritt
8th Nov 2006, 15:16
I did consider the USA route but decided against it for three reasons:

1) I didn't want to take 3 weeks holiday from work in one go... I like to have a couple of trips away with the wife during the year or she'll be going on holiday without me! In addition to the holiday, by the time I factored in the cost of flights and insurance, the deal didn't look as good.

2) I didn't want to rush through the training process in 'ideal' (i.e little wind, perfect flying conditions etc) when I knew that 99.9% of my flying would be in wind / cold / rain etc (safety aspect).

3) I didn't want 'learning to fly' to be pressurised. I wanted to learn at my own speed and have no pressure if things were taking longer than I expected.

HTH

Steve

east_sider
25th Jan 2007, 15:38
Hello all,

Just thought I'd bring this back to the top and see how everyone is getting on? I've been in the circuit since early Dec but not that many lessons completed in the last 2 months due to crazy Wx and winds!!

Coming up for first solo soon I hope, the thought of it is more exciting/terrifying in equal measure as it gets nearer.....:eek:

Be great to hear if anyone has gone solo.:ok:

Happy landings
ES

tangovictor
25th Jan 2007, 16:55
Hello all,

Just thought I'd bring this back to the top and see how everyone is getting on? I've been in the circuit since early Dec but not that many lessons completed in the last 2 months due to crazy Wx and winds!!

Coming up for first solo soon I hope, the thought of it is more exciting/terrifying in equal measure as it gets nearer.....:eek:

Be great to hear if anyone has gone solo.:ok:

Happy landings
ES

Circuits for me also, after 2mths without any practice !
I managed to pass 2 more exams though, has anyone taken "navigation" ?
i'm studying this at present, and wondered if the crp1 has to be used in the exam, and if not, whats a better alternative ?
tv