PDA

View Full Version : GPS SYSTEM

Pwrigtom
1st Aug 2006, 20:21
Hi all

I'm looking for a handheld GPS system i don't want to pay much as it's just as a reserve incase i get lost basiclly, as anyone got any ideas!!

Thanks

Tom

Henry Hallam
2nd Aug 2006, 01:39
I love my Garmin Pilot III. Pick one up second-hand for a couple hundred quid and make sure you update the database to the latest from the Garmin website.

A V 8
2nd Aug 2006, 04:44
Garmin Pilot III is a very nice piece of kit, but, if you really want to pay as little as possible, I'd suggest a Garmin GPS 12/12XL. You can pick them up cheap as chips on Ebay. If you're using it for gliding, you can download every BGA turnpoint onto it as well. If not, then you can program in any places/waypoints that dont appear.

microlight AV8R
2nd Aug 2006, 07:38
Pocketfms Make a donation and get the best charts. Just need a suitable pocket pc.

Pwrigtom
3rd Aug 2006, 10:27
Hi

Thanks for all the advise, just an expantion on the last post about pocket PC's what is the general opinion on them and how easy and expensive are they to set up

Ta

Tom

dublinpilot
3rd Aug 2006, 11:50
I use PocketFMS and wouldn't be without it.

If I had to get a new system, and there was no difference in price, then without doubt, I'd go PocketFMS again rather than a dedicated unit.

PocketFMS software maybe free, but unless you already have an pda, (or work will buy one for you), then it's not going to be all that cheap.

You'll need a PDA, a GPS (bluetooth or card) some sort of mount to hold it, and power it, and a memory card.

dp

Ninj43
6th Aug 2006, 17:50
I have an iPaq and bluetooth gps running with memory map and the official CAA charts. It saves having to scan in and calibrate maps which you have to do with some programs. The moving map display is very good but I also have a Garmin Pilot III and a Magellan 315 for general use. The magellans are about 40 quid these days and very good, certainly as good as if not better than the garmin 12. They were until recently issue for RAF aircrew.

Rgds

Rich

dublinpilot
7th Aug 2006, 20:19
One significant downside to Memory Map is that your GPS is useless outside the UK, a it has no maps.

Of course, if you go the MM route, you can always add PocketFMS to your machine for free, as you have everything else required already.

dp