PDA

View Full Version : compton abbas

newbie008
1st Aug 2006, 17:55
anyone done there ppl at compton abbas? any suggestions or comments??

BroomstickPilot
1st Aug 2006, 20:05
I didn't train there, but I have flown into Compton Abbas a couple of times.

My only misgiving would be that it is on a hill 800' amsl. I should imagine it is prone to strong winds.

Broomstick.

Hireandhire
1st Aug 2006, 21:42
Newbie hi

I was a member there for two or three years until 2004 and have nothing but good to say about them.

At the time, for work reasons, I was a refugee from Halfpenny Green (which always got a laugh) and Compton was like a breath of fresh air, enjoyed every minute up there, and then moved on to farm strips etc.

IMHO you will be unlikely to find better.

regards
HnH

bmoorhouse
2nd Aug 2006, 12:38
Yes - I did my PPL (JAR) - in 2000 and currently have my (shared) aircraft there. I think it is excellent - friendly and helpful staff, reasonable prices and stunning scenery to fly over and around.

The ONLY drawback (aeronautically) is its position on top of a hill - winds from the North can make you float forever as they rise up the hill across the runway and winds from the south hit the line of trees along the southside of the runway and can give you some "interesting" conditions - with "curl", downdrafts and other odd effects.

Grass strip is usually kept in good condition but can get quite boggy in the winter (freezing wind and washing the mud off with a dribbling hose is not my idea of fun).

All in all I can strongly recommend it - if you would like a chat I will be up there on Sunday 6th from about 10:00 am - G-AVYR - White/Green Cherokee PA28-140 parked near the white Dove.

newbie008
2nd Aug 2006, 19:04
thanks for the advice. I might take you up on the offer moorhouse later on, but im away this weekend, thanks. Just looking for opinions really as its not that far from me, otherwise its BFC. Are the aircraft all modern too??

JW411
2nd Aug 2006, 19:20
Compton Abbas is a great place to learn to fly. If you can hack Compton Abbas throughout the year you are off to a racing start in your flying career.

Incidentally, I noticed in today's NOTAMS that they don't have any Avgas for about a month.

bmoorhouse
3rd Aug 2006, 07:24
The fuel pump is U/S - plenty of gas but no means of getting it from the underground tank to the aircraft.

bmoorhouse
3rd Aug 2006, 07:33
Are the aircraft all modern too??
Piper PA28s - all in pretty good condition - have a look at the web site http://www.abbasair.com/ there is also a microlight training school run from the site - Swallow Aviation http://www.swallowaviation.co.uk/

It has a good - relatively cheap -restaurant overlooking the runway - go for lunch one day and get someone to give you a tour.