PDA

View Full Version : Who was it?

colmac747
1st Aug 2006, 16:42
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/5235858.stm

Say again s l o w l y
1st Aug 2006, 18:03
Not me!

A good piece of reporting that, since it was definately NOT a Katana, but a C152.

I saw the pilot this afternoon, had a look at the pictures and had a flight over the landing site. He did an amazing job to be able to walk away from it. To call the terrain "Tiger Country" is an understatement. The a/c is a wreck, but the pilot walked away.

S205-18F
1st Aug 2006, 18:04
You mean you dont know!!! It wasnt Leading Edge!

FORKINELL
1st Aug 2006, 18:45
Just been confirmed as Delta Romeo, one of the 152s formerly at Aberdeen.

Bet they wish they'd left it there now :E

A.Viator
1st Aug 2006, 19:05
This is terrible. How fortunate that nobody has been killed or injured.

Many predicted an accident or serious incident involving this operator. Untill the investigation is complete I will not comment on reasons, blame or responsibility.

What I will do is once again ask the regulator to look carefully at this operator as they now have a valid reason to look into all aspects of this financially strapped operation.

See my previous post on the Aberdeen thread (Flying Instructors/Examiners).

raviolis
1st Aug 2006, 20:18
This is terrible. How fortunate that nobody has been killed or injured.

Certainly not a Katana despite what the BBC said.
I've flown DR last week. I guess it was en route to Perth for maintenance. How unfortunate.

The pilot who crash landed it is indeed a very experienced one and an excellent instructor. Well done - certainly wouldn't think of the Ochil Hills as the ideal place for a forced landing !

colmac747
1st Aug 2006, 20:23
The flight path of Cumbernauld-Perth is overhead me. (not Rockall or St.Kilda:\ )..absolutely astounding the amount of small craft at any one time.
You don't really think about it. Would hate to think this craft flew overhead and soon crash landed.

Glad the pilot is fine and dandy. :)

Say again s l o w l y
2nd Aug 2006, 08:08
Uninformed speculation and baseless attacks are totally out of place in this instance.

The pilot, a mate of mine coincidentally, has been very fortunate to walk away from this. Gloating about a fellow pilot's problems because of the company he works for is out of order.

He pulled off a pretty amazing feat to have been able to walk away from it, end of story. This isn't a place for points scoring, so press the retract button on your necks.

wbryce
2nd Aug 2006, 08:39
Ouch!

Not the best places to be presented with a forced landing! Im glad the outcome was positive and looking forward to hearing the pilots experiences.

will

MichaelJP59
2nd Aug 2006, 13:53
Not interested in the company or the rumours, but SAS, as you know the pilot, do you have any more details on how he managed to pull this tricky forced landing off? Did he deliberately land where he did in a sort of ravine as per the photo or was there no choice?

Say again s l o w l y
2nd Aug 2006, 13:59
Michael,
It was a case of finding the best spot in a whole series of bad ones. From what I understand there wasn't much time between the engine quitting and having to put it down. It is on a steep slope and in a ravine, from talking to him he just got it as slow as possible and basically put it down on the stall, wherein it dug the nose in and flipped forwards tearing the tail off. It is one very second hand looking a/c.

There are very few places it would be safe to put an a/c down around there and he did a very good job in minimising the damage to himself, most people would have probably gone straight into the hill rather than landing up such a steep slope.

MichaelJP59
2nd Aug 2006, 14:07
Good quick thinking then and all kudos to him. He was never going to get away without writing the aircraft off but escaping without injury was remarkable given that the inside of a C152's cockpit is about as crash-friendly as a car from the 1950's.

Aussie Andy
2nd Aug 2006, 14:59
I don't know the area: would it have been possible to fly higher to extend glide-range over the hills at all? Presumably the hills are too extensive for that to be of benefit, or cloud precludes it, or controlled airspace above?

Anyway, good on him for surviving it!

Andy :ok:

metar
2nd Aug 2006, 16:13
Whatever you might say about the operator i know that they have always had the aircraft maintained superbly by Tayflite in Perth. I know several people who have flown DR in the last few days and she was running sweet with lots of time til check.

I know for a fact there was plenty of fuel on board.

I've always had the greatest respect for the instructors at Cumbernauld - a nice bunch of experienced pilots. Full respect for a superb piece of airmanship in very difficult circumstances. Apparently the engine gave in during a climb to get extra altitude over the hills. Talk about bad luck.

FORKINELL
2nd Aug 2006, 16:22
I hope the fuel was Bought & paid for :E

Unusual Attitude
2nd Aug 2006, 17:50
Hats off to the pilot for walking away from that one whatever the cause! My girlfriend lives just at the foot of the Genochil hills and we go walking up them pretty regular, cant say I'd fancy trying to put anything down in amongst that lot!

Weird one for me actually, last flew that aircraft almost 10 years ago to the day!

FORKINELL
2nd Aug 2006, 23:55
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5784003

Nothing wrong with this one Tommy, it's "tip top"

:E

S205-18F
3rd Aug 2006, 16:18
I flew over the site today and realised how very very lucky the pilot was!!:eek: It was about the worst place you could imagine to try to land on and then some!
It made me shudder.

Slopey
3rd Aug 2006, 16:58
I was going to try and hire DR at the end of last week/start of the week, but FAS had shut up shop by that point. Oh well, good to hear no injuries, but a shame, seemed a nice plane to fly. My only issue with it was the lack of a squelch on the intercom.