PDA

View Full Version : IFR LOST COMM GA (in the USA)

downwindabeam
29th Jul 2006, 06:54
Hey guys,

I was wondering. We all know of our good old lost comm procedures while in IFR conditions.

Lets suppose XYZ airport is reporting (on ATIS)

KXYZ 010000Z VRB02KT OVC003 19/18 A2992

Minimum for ILS is 250' (1043'MSL) for your airplane's category.

You have lost comm while beginning the arrival procedure, you're in IMC. You proceed through the Arrival (STAR) proc, get to the FAF at the time that was estimated, start the approach, get down to minimums - and..... NOTHING.

You execute a missed approach, follow the procedure and get to the min altitude that enables you to leave the IAF fix before the missed procedure's hold......

What would you ATC guys expect of this pilot?

Once reached the altitude, reverse course, go to IAF directly and start approach again? Complete missed procedure, hold ONCE and then turn direct to IAF and start approach? Complete the missed and turn diretly to IAF from the intersection without commensing a hold? Or continue all together to the alternate airport?

Anybody's opinion is more than welcomed..... I would love to know what you ATC guys expect and would do? I would also love to know what fellow pilots think of a situation like this?

-downwindabeam

Scott Voigt
31st Jul 2006, 02:16
Hi Downwind;

We would expect that you would fly the published miss and then go back out to the IAF if not colocated with the miss and shoot the approach again. Now the real world answer is that we would expect nothing and try to protect everything <G>... Not that we could indeed do this, but we would probably try due to having seen lost com aircraft do just about anything <G>....

regards

Scott