PDA

View Full Version : PPL Ground School/Exams

AlexEvans
28th Jul 2006, 15:36
Hi.

For a combination of medical/financial reasons I won't be starting my flying trainign for several months. Wanting to make use of this time I'm reading Trevor Thom manuals (Air law zzzzzzzz).

Does anyone know of somewhere that I can do a short intensive PPL ground school followed by taking the exams or should I just learn the subjects thoroughly and take the exams at my flying school in stages?

charliegolf
28th Jul 2006, 17:30
Try the back of the flying mags- there's always a few.

However, if you have plenty of time, why not really learn the stuff rather than surround youself with 'How to get past the exam' books.

Lots of the air law is a drag, but plenty will serve you well- one day.

CG

BroomstickPilot
28th Jul 2006, 17:56
AlexEvans,

I believe Derek Davidson does this sort of thing.

I have never attended any of his courses or received flying training from him, so I can't tell you how good his courses are.

He is, however, a well known name and has been around in the business for years. So I imagine he must be well worth contacting.

He always advertises in the back of the flying magazines, usually under the slogan 'Here I am'.

Give him a call.

Broomstick.

AlexEvans
28th Jul 2006, 19:55
Thanks for the advice chaps.

CG - do you consider the Trevor Thom books to be 'how to get past the exam books'? If so, what can I read/do to get the more in depth understanding that you suggest I need?

I ask because I was under the impression that they were supposed to provide exactly that, rather than the bare minimum. At least that's what THEY say.

Eddie_Crane
28th Jul 2006, 22:05
'how to get past the exam books'?
That'll be the PPL CONFUSER.
It'll get you past all the PPL exams. Guaranteed. Or your money back ;)

acuba 290
28th Jul 2006, 22:13
in my case, i had only 1 Mounth time to prepare for written examx, so i used:

Jeremy Pratt PPL Course (books 1-2-3-4)

PPL-Confuser (Edition 2006!!!) very good one with colour pictures

AFE "Question and Answers Simplifyer" edition 2006 - very good book with questions and style much more close to real exams IMHO;)

passed all exams from 1st try and made 5 of them in first day of my PPL-training

theresalwaysone
29th Jul 2006, 01:15
hello Alex Just passing

Good luck with your PPL, some people sadly never understand why we as pilots have to take exams!

Try Captain Jon Peters for ground training. He is one of aviations best kept secrets, trouble is he is usually booked full and never advertises.

He makes no charge for the exams or retakes--

As a matter of interest He was also the first person to give Richard Branson flying lessons and he also taught Jasper Carrot and Nigel Mansell.

Has flown everything from single seaters to airliners

I think the web address is
www.madeinbirmingham.org/ppl.htm

Good luck

charliegolf
29th Jul 2006, 18:28
Alex,

No, I don't regard TT's books to be anything other that very good 'course books'.

Someone else referred to the 'confuser' type books, which are often used to pass the tests INSTEAD of aquiring the knowledge.

My point was a serious one- take your time and learn the stuff really well. Others often find themselves 'having to' pass the exams, in the sense that they're getting in the way of 'the real stuff'.

No dig intended.

CG

AlexEvans
30th Jul 2006, 20:30
That's great advice - thanks guys.

CG - it's ok, thanks for clarifying.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Alex

JUST-local
31st Jul 2006, 22:18
Alex.
Airlife/Trevor Thom books:- More than you need to know. (Quite wordy/But good)
AFE:- More concise more diagrams than above, less books in series.
Pooleys:- only looked at a couple but they seem very to the point.
Most schools will stock both or all three have a look!
Regards.......