PDA

View Full Version : JAA PPL to FAA PPL Licence Verification

Tomomac33
27th Jul 2006, 14:55
HI,

Im currently going through the process on Verifiying my JAA PPL Licence in America to allow me to fly over there.

Simple Questions really -

1. When i visit the states to pick up the "FAAVerification" am I actually picking up a full FAA PPL Licence - or just a bit of paper that certifies me to fly over there?

2. And - how long is it valid for before I have to re-validate again?

ManyThanks

Tom

F900EX
27th Jul 2006, 15:37
You should be issued with a licence which is valid at all times when your foreign licence is valid. In the case of the FAA PPL it is valid as long as you complete the Biennial flight review and hold a valid medical.

acuba 290
27th Jul 2006, 18:18
is it not maybe better to make independant FAA-PPL, than varificate JAA?
That's something i would like to do somethere maybe next year

B2N2
27th Jul 2006, 20:16
You will be issued a "restricted" license which will read;
"valid only if accompagnied by xxxxx license and all limitations of that license apply".
If your original license remains valid so does the US restricted one.

Tomomac33
28th Jul 2006, 18:11
Thanks People

B2N2 - Thanks what i was hoping to hear!

Cheers

Tom

SD.
30th Jul 2006, 18:09
You cannot add ratings to the restricted certificate - so for example you could not train for a FAA IR and add it to the FAA restricted cert.
So, in the long term, it is better to remove the piggy back restriction and complete the full FAA Certification process.
David

Not entirely true (although the rules may of changed) I added an FAA IR to my foriegn license certificate in March 2004, the only requirement is you need a valid letter of authenticity. The letter the FAA send you after they confirmed with the CAA that your JAA PPL is valid needs to be presented to the FAA examiner and be within 6 months from the date of issue.

S-Works
5th Aug 2006, 11:31
Rubbish. ...... There are literally hundreds of people on these forums hwo have FAA IR on there "based on" FAA tickets.