PDA

View Full Version : Anybody been to Tirana, Albania?

IO540
25th Jul 2006, 21:46
I am thinking of dropping in this summer.

The most obvious question is whether the wheels will stay on longer when parked at Tirana, or when parked at Liverpool :)

I know from last year that their ATC is extremely helpful; more helpful than anybody else along that coast.

London Mil
26th Jul 2006, 06:46
A few years ago (Kosovo crisis) I was there. Nice people who will fleece you for any Western currency! At the time they liked Deutchmarks. Interesting airfield with some infrastructure. Shell used to hold the fuel contract and they were very helpful with sourcing all sorts of other stuff.

Things have probably changed, but I wouldn't leave anything valuable out of your sight.

I believe there is a chap on the forum (short&shapeless) who runs an ATC contract out there - it may be worth a PM.

IO540
26th Jul 2006, 18:55
Just noticed BA are offering cheap flights to Tirana, so it can't be too bad security-wise...

Mara
24th Aug 2006, 16:50
Used to work there - Albanian Airlines was originally operated using an Austrian Regestered Dash 8 and a bunch of Canadian Pilots and Canadian Maintenance staff. I was one of the latter. A great place to visit. Travelers are most welcome by the locals. If you can get to the south there are lots of Greek and Roman ruins that are totally free of tourists. Find a local pesant to give you a tour for a few bucks.