PDA

View Full Version : Hire A/C: What insurance do they have?

charliegolf
25th Jul 2006, 12:47
What level of insurance is an owner (school or club) required to have to protect the hirer/student? I'm assuming 3rd party is a must.

CG

MVE
25th Jul 2006, 14:19
Correct 3rd party by law, student or hirer none! No responsibility whatsoever, just as you have no responsibility to ensure someone you lend your car to, has insurance!

IO540
26th Jul 2006, 10:10
Note that the club/school insurance does not protect the renter pilot - unless named on the policy (which is obviously pretty rare).

So if you rent a plane, wreck it, the insurer pays out to the owner and can go after the pilot to recover the loss. This is unusual but it does happen when the loss is large (6 figures); I know of one case personally.

bladewashout
26th Jul 2006, 11:51
You should check the status of the insurance excess: as I understand it the owner can come after the renter for the excess. This can be between £1,000 and £5,000, but depends on the precise terms of the insurance policy and the flying school/rental company's terms and conditions.

On the car insurance side, something rings a bell here, but I believe that the owner of a car who gives permission for someone to drive it is obliged to ensure that they are insured to the legal minimum, and commits a technical offence if the driver is not insured. This has been a recent change (last 10 years), correct me if I'm wrong....

If you sell a car and let the purchasor test-drive it, then apart from beig obviously daft if you don't check their insurance docs, you may be committing an offence! Once they have paid for it, it's not your problem, so let them hand over the dosh, agreeing to hand it back if the test drive goes badly!

BW

modelman
26th Jul 2006, 12:14
Quote:just as you have no responsibility to ensure someone you lend your car to, has insurance!

Not so,as I found out to my cost. Lent a car to a mate who assured me was covered to drive other vehicles.He got pulled and we both got done. ( I was done for 'aiding and abetting' which sounds worse than his offence of no insurance!)

Modelman