PDA

View Full Version : Romantic weekend in France ?

Tango Oscar
25th Jul 2006, 07:57
Not an offer I'm afraid ;)

My third wedding anniversary is approaching, and I'd like to take Mrs Oscar away for the night/weekend. Now, she doesn't come flying with me very often (ok, she's been once in four years!!), but has agreed to fly if we find somewhere suitable, that's not too far.

So, does anyone have any suggestions of an exclusive (read expensive) hotel or country house somewhere not too far into France (not LE2K though), that has an airfield reasonably close?

As always, any help appreciated :ok:

Mariner9
25th Jul 2006, 08:04
Has to be Chateau le Chassagne (http://www.chassagne.com/cenglish.html).

Superb Chateau with its own airfield. Should get considerable flying brownie points from Mrs TO for a weekend there :)

Jude
25th Jul 2006, 08:13
Totally agree over Chateau de Chassagne, but if thats too far, its near Dijon, how about Les Clos St Gatien about 10 mins from Deauville, a lovely small hotel with 3 swimming pools and food to die for.

Mariner9
25th Jul 2006, 08:30
Spooky, will be in Deauville this weekend and was just about to ask if anyone could recommend a hotel there...thanks Jude :ok:

Rod1
25th Jul 2006, 08:47
Sumur has a superb hotel within waking distance and the food and view are superb. Ask to eat in the garden, local wine very good

I have some pics if you send me a PM with your email.

Rod1

Snakecharmer
25th Jul 2006, 09:00
If you're going to Deauville (nice & close!) don't miss the opportunity to take Mrs Oscar to the old town of Honfleur... a beautiful setting. Whenever I go, I like to stay at L'Ecrin in Honfleur, but, although charming, it's probably not quite posh enough for what you're after!

Tango Oscar
25th Jul 2006, 09:47
Wow Chateau de Chassagne looks fantastic. It could be a little too far for Mrs Oscar though, I'll need to take a look at the map tonight. Sumur looks good also, but again, perhaps a bit too far.

Definitely like the idea of Deauville. Not too far at all, both customs and fuel available. Looks very promising.....

Thanks for your input - very helpful.:ok:

Mariner9
25th Jul 2006, 10:00
Be careful about the fuel at Deauville, often Notamed as having none :hmm:

Johnm
25th Jul 2006, 10:02
There's no fuel at Deauville, but you might be lucky at Le Havre or Caen, best to go with enough to get back and take the drawback:ok:

USD
25th Jul 2006, 15:58
If you reconsider Chassagne the fact the "strip" is 2 minutes walk from the hotel maybe a factor. The Chateau and the rooms are quite beautiful.

With other places you end up with more travelling (taxis etc) and more hassle.

Chassagne is well within range of most of the south coast direct and fuel can be had with a quick stop on the way back at Dijon (go to the GA airport up on the hill).

Maxflyer
25th Jul 2006, 16:11
Re Fuel at Deauville.
Was there last week, this thread might help.
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235438

pistongone
25th Jul 2006, 16:53
Great Airfield,simmilar to Biggin in size and service, except the fee's!, and whatever your budget you will find a hotel to spend it in Paris. Its only an hour from the coast in most singles< where are you flying from TO? Plus< if its clear you can see the city as you pass down the corridor from pontoise to toussous! happy landings

Pitts2112
25th Jul 2006, 20:16
Followup on the Deauville fuel situation, it seems it's more of an issue around AirBP supply in Europe as opposed to AirTotal supply. AirBP can't keep up production with demand and it's a widespread problem but whether any particular field is completely out or rationing seems to be a local matter. Both Deauville and Dieppe seem to be served by AirBP and have this problem.

Try checking out the following link on another forum where I asked the question and was given a place to go look for answers:

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=24601

In that thread you will find this posting, which has a link which will show you fields served by AirTotal (on your route, Le Touquet, Le Havre).

"In France, to know where are Air Total pumps and where Air Total cards are accepted for payment: please consult:

http://www.total.fr/fr/total.nsf/VS_OPM/FD0962275D13839AC1257019005A40FE?OpenDocument

Click on the right side on : Carte interactive, Stations d'aviation ....
Red dots : Avgas, blue ones: Avtur, between brackets: automatic vending pumps 24hr a day.
Click on the airfield location...."

The link works pretty well. Good luck and let us know what you find, please! News from people who've had feet on the ground is always appreciated.

Cheers,
Pitts2112

martinidoc
26th Jul 2006, 09:55
Not quite sure why you rule out Le2K.
If you reconsider, a 15-20 minute taxi ride away is the Chateau Montrieul at Montrieul sur Mer (Inland not on the sea!). This is the most idyllic setting and fabulous food.

modelman
26th Jul 2006, 12:22
I stayed at Hotel Clery near Abbeville last year. went by car but noticed Le Touquet was 19Kms away.It is a beautiful Chateau with a superb garden and restaurant.

http://www.123france.com/123/en/hotel.php?id_hot=12002154

Modelman

fltcom
26th Jul 2006, 12:26
If you reconsider Chassagne the fact the "strip" is 2 minutes walk from the hotel maybe a factor. The Chateau and the rooms are quite beautiful.

With other places you end up with more travelling (taxis etc) and more hassle.

Chassagne is well within range of most of the south coast direct and fuel can be had with a quick stop on the way back at Dijon (go to the GA airport up on the hill).

Why the 2 minute walk? They meet you at your aircraft in the Rolls, and there is also a golf buggy to use.

Flt..

Tango Oscar
26th Jul 2006, 12:59
Hmmm maybe I'm being a bit hasty writing off Le2K. I've been there so many times, and I really wanted to go somewhere different. However, Mrs Oscar doesn't travel too well, and is really nevous about the whole thing. Maybe I should reconsider Le2K, and if all goes well, perhaps Chateau de Chassagne next.

We'll be flying from Rochester, so only 45 minutes to Le2K (enough time for Mrs O to puke though:{ )

Really appreciate all the info:ok:

Pitts2112
26th Jul 2006, 13:38
and there is also a golf buggy to use.
Flt..

Which, by the way, handles the off-road course extremely well! No need to rent the the Hummer for the day.

Pitts2112