PDA

View Full Version : ATIS Wheel

the_daddy
24th Jul 2006, 13:46
Hi folks, just came across this device while doing some browsing at work and wondered if anyone has used or even heard of this thing...
Looks as if it could come in useful given it's clear visuals and similarity to the Whizz wheel in design.
I guess there will be many arguments for and against this thing, but I'd be interested to get your views... I personally think it will come in useful, but only if people have a good grasp of the information it gives in the first place...

Link removed RE advertising rules.....

Whirlygig
24th Jul 2006, 13:57
If there was an extra wheel for putting in, say, hours experience then it could come up with an answer like, "You ain't going flying in THAT mate" or, "Fill yer boots and have fun!" :ok: :D :p

To me it seems like another gadget that maybe I didn't know I needed! Not sure I can see the use for it; I just write the ATIS info down. And certainly not at $30!!

Cheers

Whirls

Cough
24th Jul 2006, 14:00
Nahhh. How do you do R/W 31L? Far too big and impractical to use in the real world. One line of text on the knee board is all you need...

the_daddy
24th Jul 2006, 14:10
Yeah I see your points on this...

I like the old "write it on the kneeboard" style too, is a lot quicker than dialling in a load of information on this thing, but I have been shocked at the amount of people who don't really use the ATIS information as it is intended.... They copy it fine and relay the Phonetic letter back to ATC and go on their way...

This little gizmo might actually drum home why we are given this information in the first place as they actually have a visual representing what is happening in the real world.... Granted though, a simple diagram would suffice just as well to show wind/runway direction...

Hmm... don't think I'll be buying one too soon.

Fair play to the designer though, I'm sure he'll sell a few along the way.

MyData
24th Jul 2006, 17:17
From the Patent Page: "Use of the instant invention will...reduce pilot error", "The problem that arises is that the pilot must either remember or make written notes of the recorded information, which is not always easy to do"

mmm... I'm of the opinion that scribbling down figures with a chinagraph and then checking them with the next ATIS is at least as easy to do as meddling with 7 or so wheels, and I would suggest that spinning all those wheels quickly to keep up with the ATIS would even INCREASE pilot error.

Looks like something that could be knocked up Blue Peter style with an empty cornflakes packet to form the 'sleeve', using the lid of a small jam jar to mark out on the remainder of the cornflakes package the circles to make the 'discs' (get an adult to assist in using sharp scissors), marker pen for the nomanclature, lid of a large jam jar for the central disc, some poster paints and not forgetting press studs (or whatever) to act as spindles for the discs.

The de-lux version will be laminated with sticky-backed plastic.

Makes and ideal Christmas gift for any of your pilot friends.

Tinstaafl
24th Jul 2006, 17:35
Happened to be at the pilot shop in Orlando yesterday & saw one for the first time. Was not impressed.

Large, cumbersome & slower to use than a pencil & bit of paper + looking at the DI to gauge w/v vs runway direction.

Nothing on the device seems to lock any of the myriad wheels to any particular position. What happens to your settings when you put down/in a side pocket/in your nav bag/wherever - and the awkward thing gets bumped?

My judgement: A WOFTAM - and only more efficient than a pen if you're illiterate.

Phororhacos
24th Jul 2006, 18:59
What's a WOFTAM?

Phororhacos
24th Jul 2006, 19:01
just answered my own question
http://www.stands4.com/bs.asp?adults=y&st=WOFTAM&SE=&o=p

Whirlygig
24th Jul 2006, 19:04
Thank you Phororhacos, you also answered mine!!! What an excellent expression especially in an aviation context!

Cheers

Whirls