PDA

View Full Version : Reported Light Aircraft Crash,EGHH (merged)

LondonJ
23rd Jul 2006, 00:26
I assume the recent increase in crashes is due to the increased flying volume due to the hot weather. But in my (limited) flying career I don't remember hearing about accidents with this frequency:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/5207006.stm

fireflybob
23rd Jul 2006, 07:14
Yes General Aviation in the UK seems to be going through a bad patch in terms of fatal accidents.

We will have to await the conclusions of the accident inquiries before we can make any informed judgements.

There are matters of training, certification and recency which may or may not be relevant. We should bear in mind that private flying is more expensive due to increased fuel costs which may mean pilots are doing less flying and are therefore less in practice.

I only hope we do not have to suffer more restrictions since my hallucination is that the UK government regards private flying with some suspicion borne mainly by ignorance.

High Wing Drifter
23rd Jul 2006, 08:51
I get the sense that it is pretty much the same each year. I seem to remember quite a number a couple of years ago, the same year there was a mid air between a helo and a microlight. I could be wrong, just from memory.

Edited to say: Curiosity go the better of me - I can't find much on AAIB except the helo/microlight crash so maybe I have the wrong perception of past events.

IO540
23rd Jul 2006, 09:44
A good test would be to compare this summer so far with summer of 2003, which was a very nice long summer.

However, a long summer doesn't necessarily mean a lot of flying gets done. What does happen is that the first week of nice weather (preceeded by lots of bad weather) brings out a lot of pilots, but the activity tails off after that even if the good weather continues, presumably because most people exhaust their budgets, or the usual other factors put pressure on how much time they can fly.

Also, fatals are rare, not more than a few each year, and one should expect large variations in rare events anyway.

Mercenary Pilot
23rd Jul 2006, 09:50
mid air between a helo and a microlight
It was a Cabair R22 and a microlight with 2 off-duty police officers on board who were sadly killed. The R22 returned to Elstree, pilot and student shaken but not badly injured If i remember correctly. I think it was 2004

172driver
23rd Jul 2006, 09:54
And of course the BBC illustrate this sad story with the picture of - a 737 :yuk:

VFE
23rd Jul 2006, 10:00
Does anyone have anymore info on this tragic accident? Was it an EGHH based aircraft?

VFE.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Jul 2006, 10:48
It was a Cabair R22 and a microlight with 2 off-duty police officers on board who were sadly killed. The R22 returned to Elstree, pilot and student shaken but not badly injured If i remember correctly. I think it was 2004

Does anyone have anymore info on this tragic accident? Was it an EGHH based aircraft?

The accident was on 6 July 2004. The microlight was a Medway Hybred 44XLR (commonly called a Raven) flying from Plaistows on a short X-country, the helicopter was an R22 Beta flying from Elstree on an instructional sortie. The full report is here (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources/G-LIDS_and_G-MTJP_4-05.pdf).

G

VFE
23rd Jul 2006, 10:58
Thanks Genghis, but I was actually refering to the fatal accident at Bournemouth yesterday...

Cheers,

VFE.

mercuray
23rd Jul 2006, 12:15
Local BBC Radio Station reporting that 2 Fatalaties on a light a/c pleasure flight ex Bournemouth Airport,yesterday evening.Quote: "Landed well short of Runway;No Mayday/PAN Call.1. 40 year old,and 1. 60 year old passenger."

planeenglish
23rd Jul 2006, 12:20
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235838

Been a bad moment it seems for GA in GB.

My condolences and prayers to all who are suffering,

PE

Felix Saddler
23rd Jul 2006, 12:43
GA aircraft are just falling out of the sky!! I think its time we binned the old and produced the new.

My condolences to all those who have been lost and those who are suffering.

Regards,

Felix Saddler

IMC1
23rd Jul 2006, 12:50
Does anybody know about what ACTUALLY happended at EGHH last night? Was it a based aircraft:confused:

This thread keeps drifting!

Thanks

soay
23rd Jul 2006, 13:20
Does anybody know about what ACTUALLY happended at EGHH last night?
More information (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/5207506.stm) from the BBC.

VFE
23rd Jul 2006, 13:29
Was it part of the operation based at EGHH who do those mock dogfight excursions? Cannot think of the name....

VFE.

Mercenary Pilot
23rd Jul 2006, 13:29
Landed well short of Runway
But we all know a "landing" is one you walk away from :(

The aircraft is believed to be a Yak-52.
I think this is now the 3rd crash this week. They say bad luck comes in threes so hopefully this is the last...No consolation to the families & friends of those who have been lost though.

My sincerest condolences to all.

UV
23rd Jul 2006, 15:19
IMC 1

"Does anybody know about what ACTUALLY happended at EGHH last night?"

NO...and no one will until the AAIB report on it.
Please leave it out.

UV

High Wing Drifter
23rd Jul 2006, 17:54
IMC1,
This thread keeps drifting!
Two threads one of which was loosely related to this incident were merged. A question was posed as to why there are so many fatal accidents this year. Some of the posts are related to that, the others specifically to the incident.

FlyingForFun
23rd Jul 2006, 18:07
Heard an interview on the local commercial radio station this morning with someone they described as the "accident investigator". He reported that the aircraft had impacted the ground from near-vertical and at high speed (didn't specify whether he meant high airspeed or high vertical speed). I'm sure we will find out in time exactly what caused yet another sad event.

FFF
---------------

Bombay Bad Boy
23rd Jul 2006, 18:51
My sincerest condolences go out to the families of the two individuals who lost their lives. The pilot was very well known and it will send a wave of sorrow throughout one particular element of aviation.

R.I.P.

formationfoto
23rd Jul 2006, 18:53
It is of course hugely sad for both the flying community and the families of the deceased. If there are lessone we need to learn from any of these accidents lets make sure we learn them. If there arent then we have to move on.

Evrtytime this happens we are called to stop speculation and wait for evidence based analysis. This must be right.

So just lay off the argument that we should 'bin the old and build the new'. The age of the aircraft involved might or might not be a contributory factor. If it isnt then binning the old would be a foolish thing to do. More expensive flying means less flying, which means less experience in the PPL population - I am strugglint with how that is going to improve safety.

IMC1
23rd Jul 2006, 22:29
UV

I wasonly trying to get a clearer understanding of what happened. Thanks for your helpful comment...NOT!

Flash0710
23rd Jul 2006, 23:52
IMC. The guy has a good point unless you were there with the exact details.... Speculation gets us no where.

Love Peace and Respect to All.....

f.

IMC1
23rd Jul 2006, 23:58
Flash

I wasn’t looking to judge or speculate. I am based at EGHH and I just wanted to understand some basic facts beyond the BBC report. I know the AAIB will get their Comprehensive report out in the fullness of time.

IMC

Flash0710
24th Jul 2006, 00:15
Cheers IMC.

As we see here there is always a dramatic angle to any form of journalistic report so it should be a given that us people with a little knowledge can give it the pinch of salt it deserves.

Hopefully as ever when the report is published we can learn from it too.....

Please all of you fly safe

f

Inverted81
24th Jul 2006, 07:11
I believe the YAK 52 may have been a compton Abbas based a/c. Not confirmed.:sad:

Flybywyre
24th Jul 2006, 08:07
Who was the pilot ?

mercuray
24th Jul 2006, 09:09
Local News: "Official hand over to AAIB last night.A/C to Farnborough.2 Pilots have not been named".

Flybywyre
24th Jul 2006, 09:40
Fair enough ................

Jetscream 32
24th Jul 2006, 12:46
The pilot was very experienced in twins / commercial - how well aerobatting, how well on the Y52 i dont know! - he was a well known person on the airfield due to his "other job" - a great shame!

not the first and certanly not the last - altho we can but hope!!

englishal
24th Jul 2006, 14:21
IMC 1

"Does anybody know about what ACTUALLY happended at EGHH last night?"

NO...and no one will until the AAIB report on it.
Please leave it out.

UV
UV, I know you are sensitive about these things, but some of us would like to try and understand as early as possible what went wrong, in an effort to stop it happening to us.

For the record, I fly from EGHH occasionally, I also know people who fly Yaks in the area, so would like to know as much as possible.

mercuray
24th Jul 2006, 15:31
I dont want to turn this sad incident into anything other than just that,but I will say that I entirely agree with You both. I got my ear bent a couple of years back for asking a similar question.I understand exactly what the intent of your question is,and in my opinion You are not attempting prejuidicy,or going into AAIB territory.Some times this "PC" becomes counter productive,in my humble opinion.IF there were to be anything that could be known that would only add to future safety,then surely the sooner the better? (Obviously that precludes wild speculation!).

pulse1
24th Jul 2006, 16:19
As it is now in the local paper, the aircraft was a Compton Abbas Yak and was being flown by Kevin Crossley. Any other details in the paper could be media speculation. My condolences to all.

Inverted81
24th Jul 2006, 16:59
My thoughts are with the family at this very sad time.

newbie008
24th Jul 2006, 17:58
condolences to all involved. Im fairly new to flying so not sure what a yak looks like. Is it an old looking thing, like the ones they put people on the wings? I saw one over my house on saturday going upside etc.. and I live nr compton abbas. This was about midday, but im not sure what time the incident occurred in b'mouth.

microlight AV8R
24th Jul 2006, 19:56
Newbie,

No, the YAK52 isn't a biplane. It is a radial engined low wing monoplane with a tandem seated cockpit. Looks a bit like a stretched Harvard if you're familiar with such exotica.

PAXboy
5th Aug 2006, 16:58
On a different crash, but not wanting to start another thread (in case I have missed one that is running): I was speaking to friends in Rayleigh, just near Southend-on-Sea today, who spoke of a light a/c going in about ten days or two weeks ago. Crashed into a local park. Pilot was on his second solo flight and rather young.

Has anyone heard anything?

DaveW
5th Aug 2006, 17:23
PAXboy, BBC report here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/5231382.stm). The corresponding PPRuNe thread is here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235431&highlight=southend).

This, the Yak at Bournemouth and a Slingsby Firefly in Suffolk were three fatal accidents within a very short space of time that were witnessed by friends and family of the occupants. Very sad indeed.

neilcharlton
6th Aug 2006, 00:03
If you think aviation has had a run of fatal accidents you should try scuba diving : http://www.divernet.com/index.shtml (http://www.divernet.com/index.shtml)
every time i log onto that site theres always new deaths ..very sad..

All most all diving accidents are down to human error , i hear of very few equipment failures.

Goes to show the value of good training in both flying and diving. It took me 2 years to qualify as a competent diver. Pool training then freezing my balls off in the north sea doing drills. However i'm rated the same as my mate who took an accelerated 3 day course in the tropical waters of the red sea ! ... go figure !

englishal
6th Aug 2006, 19:14
I heard the story of the Yak from one of our group, who is also in the Yak group....

Be careful out there, most of these types of accidents are related to Human Performance and Factors, and ARE avoidable......