PDA

View Full Version : New Cardiff & Bristol Airspace

egffztzx
21st Jul 2006, 23:25
Hi,

If you are not already aware, the airspace around Bristol and Cardiff International Airports undergoes major changes on 31st August.

In a nutshell, the Class D airspace surrounding both airports will be expanded to enhance safety and better manage the increasing number of commercial flights.

Map showing the new airspace -

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/14/PN3306.pdf

Over and above the required promulgation, the CAA and NATS are taking a number of extra steps in order that as many airspace users are aware of the changes prior to them coming in to effect.

The use of PPRuNe is one of those measures and I'd like to thank the Moderators for allowing us, NATS, to use the forum in this manner.

Full details of the change will shortly be available from on the AIS website. You do need to register (it's free). Look under >Publications >UK AIP >AIP Amendments -

http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/login.jsp

Your looking for AIRAC9/2006 Effective 31 August 2006.

There is also a Yellow AIC 96(Y217)/06 on the subject.

The CAA plan to issue a special version of the 1:500k Southern England and Wales (Ed32A) in August. If you plan to use the the 1:250k charts - CAUTION - these will not be updated until the 'next' due date.

CAA News story here -

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=14&pagetype=65&applicationid=7&newstype=n&mode=detail&nid=1296

NATS will be making a presentation at the Cardiff Academy of Aviation at Cardiff International Airport on Wednesday 9th August at 1930L to explain the changes and answer any questions.

Similarly, at Bristol International Airport in the Administration Building (old terminal) on Monday August 21st at 1930L.

All are welcome.

Finally, if you have any questions please feel free to post them here. I or other 'Severn Clutch' ATCOs will do their best to answer them.

Steve Hall
NATS Cardiff

a.k.a. EGFFZTZX

ATCO1987
22nd Jul 2006, 07:51
Although AIRAC0609 under AIP Amendments shouldnt be available until 03AUG..

flower
22nd Jul 2006, 15:16
BRL,
Can I request you make this a sticky, the changes are vast and affect many, some may also not be aware of the issuing of a new Southern Airspace chart to coincide with the airspace changes

ATCO1987
22nd Jul 2006, 15:23
Are these presentations public? Or invite only? Im staff at Bristol but not ATC staff....

flower
22nd Jul 2006, 15:28
It does say all welcome at the bottom of Steves post

ATCO1987
22nd Jul 2006, 15:59
Sorry if it doesnt jump out and smack me in the face, I just dont see it! ;-).

pipertommy
23rd Jul 2006, 19:06
Here it is
Similarly, at Bristol International Airport in the Administration Building (old terminal) on Monday August 21st at 1930L.

All are welcome.:ok:

AWYRCYMRY
31st Jul 2006, 15:59
so now im going to have to fly further to do flight traning....:ugh: :ugh:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
31st Jul 2006, 21:58
This proposal (as it started) and supporting charts has been available for several months. Apart from compliance with Rule 5 over certain Congested Areas, does it really make a lot of difference? We are allowed to talk to Bristol Radar and Class D is not a prohibited area. I can't imagine traffic ever being so intense that penetration won't be allowed in genuine VMC. It is an inconvenience for microlighters, though (assuming they can find a field in that "area" where planning rules dont ban them).

ATCO1987
1st Aug 2006, 08:00
From what Ive heard; microlights only get in the way most of the time.

As for whether it makes difference? Well, yes! Ok it doesn't keep VFR out unlike LTMA for example; BUT it does keep instrument traffic inside controlled airspace which I believe is the main point behind the change. Yes, VFR will probably be allowed to enter CAS in VMC, subject to instrument traffic as always. There are new VRPs coming in for various points of entry, so there will be new places to orbit at ;).

Remember, this airspace change isn't designed necessarily for the current traffic levels, but its there in preparation to handle the inevitable traffic increase over the next 20 years or so.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
1st Aug 2006, 21:57
From what Ive heard; microlights only get in the way most of the time.

Sehr interesting: and from vhere did you hear zis?

G-MZBZ (sunday name)

microlightpilot
4th Aug 2006, 10:55
Sehr interesting: and from vhere did you hear zis?

G-MZBZ (sunday name)

I agree, I thought it was GA that got in the way ;-)

G-BYFF

neilmac
15th Aug 2006, 07:54
Cheers for posting about brief on 21st at Bristol, I can understand why you need airspace, lol, just very close to me! Air trafficker Lye, GA pilot

NM

ATCO1987
15th Aug 2006, 09:07
Excuse the late reply....where did I hear it? From a flying instructor friend of mine ;) .

Wee Weasley Welshman
17th Aug 2006, 11:33
About time this came about,

flower
20th Aug 2006, 09:09
Still lots of Class G for those looking to enjoy a bimble and not talk to ATC, but being Class D it isn't and shouldn't be a barrier for anyone looking to transit at a higher level.

I think this final week will be interesting for those of us trying to dot the Is and cross the Ts though :uhoh:

Standard Noise
23rd Aug 2006, 08:00
Well, our two briefings have passed off peacefully, thankfully no blood was spilt.:}
Monday's, for ppls etc, had a turnout of close on 100 and last night we had 40 or so glidery people from Halesland, Keevil, Nympsfield, Aston Down and The Park. I was a bit worried last night might be tough, and some of them looked a bit disgruntled at the start, but it went well (must have been the vino collapso).
Here's hoping the word spreads and we have very few problems come next month.

I suppose the new half mill map will help, although they did groan at the thought of having to lash out 15 sovs on it. Still, we surprised them.......didn't we just!

Steve N
23rd Aug 2006, 22:57
You did indeed.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
25th Aug 2006, 07:29
Still lots of Class G for those looking to enjoy a bimble and not talk to ATC, but being Class D it isn't and shouldn't be a barrier for anyone looking to transit at a higher level.

Being psychic, I think I agreed with you at Serial 9.

BigEndBob
25th Aug 2006, 23:04
Pity the CAA aren't dishing out free charts considering the last is only a few months old. Surely these changes have been in the pipline for a long time.
Its about time airspace/frequency changes only occured at a fixed time to coincide with publication of new charts.

ATCO1987
26th Aug 2006, 04:11
The changes were originally scheduled for 16th March 2006, along with everything else; but afaik, the CAA didn't approve the changes by 16MAR therefore they couldnt go ahead and thus werent on Edition 32 of the Half mil. The CAA then said they would not print another chart until next year, to which the reply from Bristol/Cardiff ATC etc was along the lines of "Thats not good enough, we need one now" and they decided to print Edition 32A. So yeah, another 15 squid.

Go to www.flightstore.co.uk and preorder your copy, then you get 20% off.

Standard Noise
27th Aug 2006, 11:08
Its about time airspace/frequency changes only occured at a fixed time to coincide with publication of new charts.

Yeah, like we're going to wait for the next chart just to please a few pilots!!

wycliffe
31st Aug 2006, 09:23
As the title suggests the ERNOK1A sis has been suspended. Does anyone no why and what will be replacing it.

Wycliffe Barrett

egffztzx
31st Aug 2006, 10:23
This SID did not check out well when test flown - I think due to range/power of the HON VOR on which it is based.

It is something that has been known about for a couple of weeks, but was too late to catch the AIRAC. Resolutions/alternative plans are underway.