PDA

View Full Version : complex SEP rating or how to fly Turboarrow?

acuba 290
20th Jul 2006, 23:35
just interesting, how complex it will be to fly with Turboarrow after normal P-28 or C-172? How many hours it takes to learn RG, vario prop and Turboloader?

Flyin'Dutch'
21st Jul 2006, 01:02

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
21st Jul 2006, 07:06
but you'll pay for 5.....

IO540
21st Jul 2006, 08:04
You will probably pay for 20...

The whole business of a VP prop and retractable gear is massively overdone. It's close to completely trivial.

What is much more tricky is engine management, but few instructors know anything about that. And it does not require a logbook entry!

High Wing Drifter
21st Jul 2006, 08:41
There is more to the differences than just the extra lever and the retractable gear and I think even those require more than an hour of practice to be sure that you aren't going to slip into old ways. Other than that glide path is obviously more complex and takes a few goes to be sure that you can judge a glide approach. The throttle has considerable lag and again takes a little time to perform stalls and go-arounds reliably and repeatedly without overboosting. The controls are much heavier and there is simply more to do and more and different numbers to remember. It's not difficult per se, but 1 hour seems a tad ambitious to me.

WHBM
21st Jul 2006, 08:54
If your prior PA-28 experience has been on a Warrior there are several other differences. Firstly the increased speed means things come up on you faster than before, which you will notice. And the landing technique is different, close the throttle as you come over the threshhold like you do in a Warrior and you will come down with a considerable bang, which my instructor said was down to the different shape of the wings and their low-speed aerodynamic characteristics.

Oh, and as the engine is injected, no carb heat of course. Which once you get used to it can lead to you forgetting if you go back to a Warrior from time to time.

Constant Speed is just like having a gearbox on a car, it becomes a natural, especially once your ear gets tuned in to the associated prop noises. Ask your hangar engineer to show you the bits stripped down, it is interesting to see how it all works.

Hopefully you have always had the habit of including "gear" in your downwind and finals checks from day one. Forgetting the gear apparently tends to happen when other things are abnormal, like a Practice Forced Landing. I never forgot it on approach but did miss raising it a couple of times on departure until it was a natural habit.

All little differences, but quite a number of them. By the way, you get to destination notably faster.

MVE
21st Jul 2006, 10:24
3-4 for an average pilot. Much more to do on the stall recovery for base and final. Glides like a brick so PFL's need practise, Glide circuits the same. The thing will accelerate quicker and slow down quicker (enugh to catch you by surprise on base if you're not carefull) Do yourself a favour and get a thorough checkout rather than a quick hour and regret it later!:ok:

deice
21st Jul 2006, 11:15
WHBM

The reason for the Arrow to drop in doesn't sound entirely correct. It uses the same wings as the Warrior and Archers but there have been two. The later trapeze shaped are much nicer in the stall compared to the old straight "hershey bar" as the yanks call it. They also float longer in ground effect. if you're moving between wings you'll notice they behave differently.
The Arrow carries more weight in the nose and is a heavier aircraft overall. As it uses the same wing it needs more AoA to produce enough lift for the weight and hence approach angle and landing is slightly different. Also, the added weight up front means you need more backpressure.

Things are a bit different with the Arrow 4 which has a T-tail, but the wings are the same, you just need more speed to maintain control with the stab up top.

Still, it's very much like an Archer to fly.

tmmorris
21st Jul 2006, 11:20
All the Hershey-bar style PA28s, including fixed-gear, have this tendency to drop like a brick if you chop the throttle precipitately. In fact, one instructor (who hadn't seen me fly that type of PA28 before) told me after landing at Le Touquet that he had been terrified when I pulled full flap on final (over the sea!) that I wouldn't know the difference between the two versions and would sink like a stone. Fortunately I had experience of both and knew that you need to ADD power with full flap on that style of wing, as mostly the final stage just adds drag.

Great for short-field landings, though, and I think on balance I prefer it. The tapered wings are more forgiving in a stall, but tend to float especially if (as mentioned elsewhere) you have been taught too high a landing speed.

Tim

High Wing Drifter
21st Jul 2006, 12:29
deice,
The reason for the Arrow to drop in doesn't sound entirely correct.
It does once the gear is extended! Makes decision making in last moments of the glide a little more tricky.

acuba 290
21st Jul 2006, 19:43
and how it is with Mooney-201?