PDA

View Full Version : Luton 08 Ops......... a Question

None of the above
20th Jul 2006, 20:49
I originally posted this in 'Spectators' Gallery' but without success.
Perhaps you'll indulge me if I repost here. Thanks!

Just out of interest........

I notice that a proportion of arrivals from the north for 08 are still being taken through the C/L and intercepting the localiser from the right.
I understood that the western airspace extension of 11th May would remove the need for this type of manouevre.
Is it simply a case of providing extra track miles to get the height off?

Thanks in advance,

N o t a

BOBBLEHAT
21st Jul 2006, 13:06
Pretty much it is because the inbounds are losing height and going like a bat out of hell. The aircarft arrive into the sector at the same height regardless of the runway direction, a left base for 08 is much less miles to touchdown than going downwind r/h for 26. The regular operators get their height of very early making things a bit easier.

Also it could be that the a/c are getting extended vectoring for spacing behind other arrivals from the east and south (some of these do use the new airspace).

Or they may be kept on the southerly heading to facilitate the climbing of a CPT departure through the level as they need to cross over each other (or abeam) at some time.

None of the above
21st Jul 2006, 20:59
Many thanks for your response, Bobblehat.

I was reluctant to post in what must be considered an 'operational' forum which is why I tried Spectators' Gallery at first.
I left CAA/NATS in 1977 so my connection with aviation must now be considered tenuous at best.
Despite being well and truly in my middle years, the senses haven't been completely dulled and I still take an active interest in all things aeronautical.

Thanks again,

N o t a