PDA

View Full Version : How mad is flying really???

Kengineer-130
18th Jul 2006, 04:57
I was sat in a pub beer garden today, soaking up some rays, and just happened to notice a few jets flying overhead, which made me comment to the young lady I was with just how mad flying really is :} . I have had my PPL since November, and everytime you hit that magic rotate speed and ease the stick back,that invisable hand just plucks you off the runway.... it STILL amazes me...............................

sorry, just my thought for the day :ok: :)

bencoulthard
18th Jul 2006, 08:34
I get the same thoughts every time i use sat nav, i mean, how does it know!!!!!!!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
18th Jul 2006, 09:41
I get the same thoughts every time i use sat nav, i mean, how does it know!!!!!!!

Yeah. I reckon thermos flasks are pretty smart - keep stuff hot, or keep stuff cold - how does it know which to do? :ok:

J.A.F.O.
18th Jul 2006, 10:26
Yeah. I reckon thermos flasks are pretty smart - keep stuff hot, or keep stuff cold - how does it know which to do? :ok:

Mine doesn't work, we went on a picnic at the weekend and I put in two choc ices and a cup of tea; the choc ices melted and the tea was cold.

I'm taking it back to the shop.

EGBKFLYER
18th Jul 2006, 11:26
JAFO - they were probably all fine until you took the lid off. That's what Mr Schroedinger told me anyway.

Fuji Abound
18th Jul 2006, 11:34
Every time in the clouds

.. .. .. the brain says roll right

.. .. .. and the gyro says, steeeeady old chap, resist.

How does it know.

AerBabe
18th Jul 2006, 13:11
Whenever I'm browsing PPRuNe at work, someone always comes into my office.

How do they know?! :\

J.A.F.O.
18th Jul 2006, 15:43
JAFO - they were probably all fine until you took the lid off. That's what Mr Schroedinger told me anyway.

You're probably right and if I find the cat that's been getting into the hangar and walking all over my aeroplane then Mr Schroedinger won't have a theory that will help.

Footless Halls
18th Jul 2006, 18:04
You lot are a little mean. We all know the feeling Kengineer-130 is talking about. I've been flying continually for the last 7 years and on and off ever since I was 16 and the sheer happiness which it gives me, both when flying and when on the ground but thinking about it, never leaves.

IMPRESSIONS OF A PILOT

Flight is freedom in its purest form,
To dance with the clouds which follow a storm;

To roll and glide, to wheel and spin,
To feel the joy that swells within;

To leave the earth with its troubles and fly,
And know the warmth of a clear spring sky;

Then back to earth at the end of a day,
Released from the tensions which melted away.

Should my end come while I am in flight,
Whether brightest day or darkest night;

Spare me your pity and shrug off the pain,
Secure in the knowledge that I'd do it again;

For each of us is created to die,
And within me I know,
I was born to fly.

— Gary Claud Stokor

Spoilsports...

Paris Dakar
18th Jul 2006, 18:31
everytime you hit that magic rotate speed and ease the stick back,that invisable hand just plucks you off the runway....

I know what you mean, but I think that the owner of that invisable hand has a few cheeky beers when I'm away flying because he/she never returns me to earth with the same grace as I departed:ouch:

Avoiding Action
21st Jul 2006, 19:44
...but more importantly, K-engineer130, was the 'the young lady I was with ' impressed with your chat?

We demand to know....;) :ok:

Kengineer-130
25th Jul 2006, 05:19
Avoiding Action, Not at all, :} but then I didn't expect it to :ok:
And people can take the pi55 if they like, but people wouldn't fly if it wasn't fun and somthing a bit different :) So I reserve the right to smile when I fly :}

RudeNot2
25th Jul 2006, 07:02
When I was younger I used to always wonder how on earth the "wee" people in the front of a 747 could lift the back end up!! I finally figured it out after reading the Aircraft General exam!!!!:bored: