PDA

View Full Version : Trailering aircraft in UK. Laws/rules etc?

blue up
15th Jul 2006, 12:34
I'm taking my homebuilt by road to FFF at Kemble next month via the M4. 16.5 foot length. Any idea of the rules for towing such an object either on its wheels or on a trailer? 300kg weight and currently unbraked when on its wheels with a towhitch on the tailskid.
I've got a light board and a flashing orange light on the nose.

Does anyone have a suitable trailer for sale? Boat trailer would be best.

pistongone
15th Jul 2006, 13:47
Rules for towing in the UK are upto 750kg without brakes, the light board must be at the end of the towed unit. Any sharp ends etc(nanny state syndrome!) must be covered. An advisory ratio of 85% between tow vehicle and trailer is advised but not mandatory. Suffice to say a trailer weighing more than the car or van will take a lot more skill to maintain safety. Quite like flying you must think WELL ahead if you have a heavy trailer. So a 300kg traler shouldnt be a problem even if your towing it with a smart car! Good luck and hope you get the project up in the air soon

Sedbergh
15th Jul 2006, 15:09
Watch for insurance. Trailer will be covered 3rd party by the car insurance but not the contents i.e your pride & joy. Glider insurance generally covers transit in trailer but doubt if the average aircraft cover does!:=

blue up
15th Jul 2006, 18:05
Got aircraft covered by house contents insurance (Whooo-hooo! What a deal!) since it is currently without paperwork and therefore just a pile of wooden bits from my garage.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j279/foggythomas/goingforaweighing.jpg

If I can trailer it then I'll save scrubbing the new tyres to death. I've managed to get it up to 50mph backwards on its' own wheels!:eek:

A V 8
15th Jul 2006, 19:29
Check the maximum authorised mass (MAM) of the trailer set by the trailer manufacturer - even if your trailer+a/c is nowhere near the MAM. If you obtained your driving licence post 1997, PM me for exact legal requirements.

Rgds,

AV8

blue up
15th Jul 2006, 22:57
Trailer will be homemade (by Monday lunchtime, if kids & wife permit)
Got licence in 1988.

bencoulthard
16th Jul 2006, 12:44
Don't let your prop obscure lights and reg plate.
I had a mate on the back of my motorbike once and his rucksack hung down over the lights, came close to disaster one night.

Ben

davidatter708
16th Jul 2006, 17:06
dunno bout the road laws but u could put a pusher prop on then u can go faster:E
david

PlasticPro
17th Jul 2006, 15:03
Did the same thing with a Cessna 180 fuselage some years ago from Tollerton to Meppershall. (Not me towing - I had the wings and bits in a 7.5 tonner). Contacted the local plods for advice and all they said was 'be prepared to be stopped'. We weren't and the trip went well. Go for it.
PP

cessna l plate
17th Jul 2006, 15:20
PM me if you need the actual legal definitions, or have a look at VOSA website!