PDA

View Full Version : Flying in/around Denver?

kookabat
12th Jul 2006, 14:10
G'day,
Seeing as there is a slight chance I could be spending a week or so in Denver in the US at the end of August I thought I'd take the opportunity to go do some mountain flying. Just for the heck of it.
1) I have an Oz PPL, but I'm not necessarily looking at a full check-out or anything (due hassles of converting licence etc). I'm just after a couple of hours with an instructor somewhere, more for the experience than anything else.
2) I have absolutely no idea where to start.
Bearing the above points in mind - can anyone recommend a good place to grab an aeroplane from? Approx costs for an hour's dual in a Cherokee or the like? That sort of thing.

pulse1
12th Jul 2006, 15:22
kookabat,

I will be in Denver from August 24 and will also be interested in a local fly or two.

I am staying with an ex colleague who is building his own aircraft (Davis?) and I am hoping that he will use his local knowledge to tell me where to fly. He is on holiday right now but I will pm you when I can tell you more.

If you are there at the same time maybe we could share an instructor and aircraft.

18greens
12th Jul 2006, 18:57
Theres a spitfire at Aspen you can rent.

Probably your only chance to ever get in one.

Bluebeard777
13th Jul 2006, 12:59
Best bet for some relaxed flying would be Front Range Airport, near Watkins (east of downtown, on I-70). Alternatively go to Boulder. Both have rental outfits. You could also go to Jeffco or Centennial, but these are much busier & more commercial.

Get a mountain checkout & go flying in the Rockies - amazing!

kluge
16th Jul 2006, 08:10
Try Boulder airport.

John Blum CFI Pitts S2B New Attitude Aerobatics
303-469-7746

I spent three months living in Broomfield next to Boulder working for a f...kwit IT storage company a coupleof yrs ago. Work was boring as hell except for going out to Boulder airfield and exploring the area. Lots of Luscombes at Boulder I recall.

Enjoy

Avoiding Action
16th Jul 2006, 08:50
I flew the sort of trips you mention out of Boulder in 2001 - some of the best and most challenging flying I've undertaken:) . Unfortunately, Dakota Ridge Aviation, who I used, have since ceased trading, but there were a couple of other outfits on the field at that time - quick check of the web should draw results. You could easily fly Boulder to Leadville (Highest Airport in Continental USA @ about 9,500' IIRC) to Aspen to Glenwood and back to Boulder in about 3 flying hours, and it'll give you a great taste of mountain flying!:ok:

kookabat
16th Jul 2006, 10:57
Thanks guys! That's given me a good place to start - if this trip actually goes ahead. Should be finding out in next few days.

Cheers!
K