PDA

View Full Version : Delete 737 Type Rating from my CV?

Mercenary Pilot
9th Jul 2006, 11:18
Hi Everyone

Im about to re-file my CV with some of the UK regional's as its been a few months now since I last applied (and ive built another 150 ME hours since).

Question is...shall I delete my 737 Type Rating from my CV (and also not mention it on my application)? My self funded "no time on type" rating already seems to have ruled me out of the jet lo-co's. Now im worried that my application to the Turbo prop operators will indicate that i would leave at the first chance to fly the 73' (which is not the case).

So what do I do? :bored:

monkeyboy
9th Jul 2006, 11:44
On the other hand, it shows that you can complete a type rating. Hence, less risk.

54.98N
9th Jul 2006, 14:15
So - you are employed flying a TP and someone offered you a jet job on a 737, you honestly wouldnt take it?

Mercenary Pilot
9th Jul 2006, 14:29
So - you are employed flying a TP and someone offered you a jet job on a 737, you honestly wouldnt take it?

Not if i was happy where I was...No.

T+C's and lifestyle are far more important to me than what type im flying.

Pilot Pete
9th Jul 2006, 15:00
I seriously doubt that your lifestyle issues on the turbo-prop would outweight the £10k or so payrise and future prospects flying the 737. That's a personal opinion, and one which I suspect the airline will take when they see your 737 type rating on your CV.

I would not tell a turbo-prop regional that I had a jet type rating with no hours on type. The fact that you have demonstrated an ability to handle a complex type rating course is outweighed by the pre-conceived opinion that you would be off at the first opportunity that came along....

Remember, what you put on your CV should be justified taking into account the viewers' perception; not what you think might be 'good'.

All the best.

PP

Superpilot
9th Jul 2006, 15:09
I'd agree with Pilot Pete. I have about 4 different CV's and use different ones depending on the IT job I'm applying for! :ooh:

nosewheelfirst
9th Jul 2006, 15:56
And when you get that TP job and they check your licence and discover you have a 737 type rating that was not mentioned before? It may backfire...

I think honesty is the best policy. :ok:

NWF

Cactus99
10th Jul 2006, 08:07
Its a good point!

I personally wouldn't tell them about the rating.

As for 'nosewheelfirst's comment above, true, but there hardly going to sack you if they found out, are they!

Lucifer
10th Jul 2006, 08:27
Well someone is going to look at your licence, however if you don't feel it is important to that employer to which you are applying, then don't put it on there.

Use the point that it is irrelevant to that airline to which you are applying if asked.

hingey
10th Jul 2006, 09:46
IMHO,

How many Dash FO's at flybe have stayed more than a few years? I'm sure by now most of the loco TP operators know that their low hour FO's are going to run away when a job at a major carrier or jet operator comes up. A senior pilot and personnel staff at Air Southwest told me that they see themselves as a stepping stone for the new guys, who they expect to move on to bigger and better things (depending on your point of view).

At the very least, don't lie if they ask if you have a type rating. But don't feel obliged to tell them unless they ask either.

h

skywaytoheaven
10th Jul 2006, 17:20
I also agree with Pete, problem is they might check your licence in the interview....

Mercenary Pilot
10th Jul 2006, 18:00
which I suspect the airline will take when they see your 737 type rating on your CV.

That’s pretty much what im thinking too. To be honest im not "so" worried about my 737 rating being discovered in my licence as my main mission at the moment is just to get an interview. I think if im asked specifically if I am typed on any aircraft then im going to have to say yes, however...most companies are only asking for a CV and a few of the applications don’t "specifically" ask ether.

Most of my mates have had at least 1 interview, with a good few getting offered a position afterwards. Im trying to work out the main reason why im not even getting a look in, the only reasons I can find is the fact that I have a type rating.

Pilot Pete
11th Jul 2006, 17:27
Just because you have a page which the CAA have sent you with a 737 type rating on it, does not mean that you have to show them that page at interview. Keep the old page with just your piston twin on it and show them that. Now, if they ask you the specific question then be very careful. Lying guarantees one thing only; if you get the job and then get found out you have given them grounds to sack you.

PP

Dr Eckener
11th Jul 2006, 19:07
Some of the advise is unreal. Yes you put it down, because it is in your licence, and i assume your log book also. If you get an interview you will have to explain the TR. I'm afraid you bought it so you will have to explain it.

If you do not mention it and they find out you will be extremely unlikely to get a job, or you could easily lose a job you have been offered. Distrust from the start will be the airline view.

-8AS
12th Jul 2006, 10:52
Is the type rating still current?

Mercenary Pilot
12th Jul 2006, 11:07
Yes, its still current. Expires in December (but ill probably renew it, if i can afford too)

scroggs
12th Jul 2006, 12:41
I think your take on things is broadly correct. If an airline you're applying to is not asking for the type you have, don't mention it in your application or CV. However, at interview, be quite open about the rating and explain why you did it. If they like you, they are unlikely to turn you down for the rating. If they don't, you haven't lost anything. Above all, don't try to lie or deceive.

As I think you rightly suspect, getting to interview is the important bit. Once you're there, your personality and attitude will gain or lose you the job, not your rating.

Scroggs

cavortingcheetah
12th Jul 2006, 13:33
:hmm:

I'd say that scroggs's take on things is absolutely spot on!:)

Two further points however.
If you get as far as an interview with a 737 operator, do not be surprised or perturbed if they still insist on your doing their type rating course and signing a training bond. By no means all type rating courses are acceptable to all other airlines.
Personally I wouldn't bother to renew the rating. But, bearing in mind that if you ever get to a jet simulator ride, the operator will expect a higher standard of flying from you than from others, I'd use the money for a good brush up as and when the simulator opportunity might arise.
Good luck.;)

DeltaT
14th Jul 2006, 09:59
Quite a number of Airline 'interview' processes now don't just have an interview and can eliminate good candidates with dedication, attitude etc on the basis of the initial testing, without ever having face to face time with the prospective pilot!