PDA

View Full Version : Microphones - electret vs. dynamic?

Pitts2112
7th Jul 2006, 14:58
Hoping to draw on some electronics wisdom here as it relates to cockpit comms.
I have both an electret microphone (as found on David Clarks) and a military spec M-87 Dynamic mic (with amplifier). I've only ever used the electret so don't know what the M-87 is like.
Before I go and trial the M-87 to see what it's like, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these as compared to an electret? What are the advantages over the electret in typical civilian flying? Is one better suited to noisy/open cockpits than another?
Cheers,
Pitts2112

IO540
7th Jul 2006, 17:11
There may be a difference between their performance in actual headset implementations, but either type is easily able to deliver the "quality" that's required by the primitive AM VHF airborne comms systems.

Pitts2112
7th Jul 2006, 21:16
IO540,

That's what I was interested in. Personally, I find GA radios unsatisfactory pretty much all the way around, but I was looking for views on whether the dynamic was any better, and could give clearer transmissions than, the electret. Seems to be about an even ball game from what I've seen so far.

Maybe I'm looking for a difference that doesn't really exist.

Cheers,
Pitts2112

IO540
7th Jul 2006, 21:38
A lot of people fly with totally knackered radios / badly done radio installations. I think their mikes are the least of the problem.

The Bose X has a very good mike. The best (clearest) mike I have ever used on an aviation headset was on the Lightspeed Mach1, but I didn't find the headset itself any good.