PDA

View Full Version : EUROCONTROL Employment

gconatyuk
2nd Jul 2006, 17:06
Hello

Ive decided to submit an application to NATS and EUROCONTROL and im currently weighing up the pros and cons of working for both organisations (providing i am accepted ofcourse).

I have heard that EUROCONTROL ATCOs do not pay income tax and are paid a higher salary than that of NATS employees.

Can anyone shed any light on any of the advantages of working for EUROCONTROL.

Kirk Biddlecombe
2nd Jul 2006, 20:57
I'm sure both companies have equal advantages and disadvantages. The way I see it though is that it's ATC, not the company. I was recently turned down by NATS, but am continuing to submit applications to other companies. If ATC is what you want to do (as it is for me), the company itself should not deter you too much (within reason).

gconatyuk
2nd Jul 2006, 21:02
I don't mind where i have to go although from what i understand there is only NATS and EUROCONROL which allow UK citizens to apply. All other companies require you to speak the local language and be a citizen of that country don't they?

Kirk Biddlecombe
4th Jul 2006, 17:44
No, there are others.

I'm going to be applying to DFS, and they take any applicants from any EU Country. I have a couple of good contacts that my family actually know personally who are instructors at the college. I spoke to someone on the phone last night and she told me all training was carried out in English. No worries for me anyway because I speak fluent German! :p

I'm sure there are other companies too...seek and ye shall find...

Kirk

gconatyuk
4th Jul 2006, 18:07
I had a look on the DFS website and they stated that a good understanding of German was necessary.

Dances with Boffins
5th Jul 2006, 10:55
they take any applicants from any EU Country
except Italy:p

fabrifx
5th Jul 2006, 11:06
except Italy:p
cause we kicked a:mad: yesterday or what :D??

GroundBound
6th Jul 2006, 11:49
Eurocontrol employees *DO* pay income tax. This is a running mis-ident that circulates around Europe causing confusion, envy and sometimes abuse.
However, the income tax is not a national income tax, but an international tax, similar to the European Communities - it works out around between 40% and 50%. The idea being that as it is an international organisation funded by over 30 member states, it would not be fair if only one state (where the place of employment is located) was getting all the tax. The tax paid is an average of all member states and is redistributed evenly to them all.
What is not usually spread around is that Eurocontrol employees do *NOT* benefit from the national taxation rules(e.g. tax reduction on mortgage payments etc.). This is a swings-and-roundabouts debate - if you think the salaries seem higher, there is a cost to it.
GB

edited for typso

Lon More
8th Jul 2006, 10:32
Eurocontrol employees do *NOT* benefit from the national taxation rules
However if you work anywhere except Maastricht, you benefit from tax-free cars, "colis" etc.
At Maastricht you get one car, when established, duty payable when you sell it

flowman
9th Jul 2006, 09:44
However if you work anywhere except Maastricht, you benefit from tax-free cars, "colis" etc.

Wrong!
If you work in Brussels you get the same. One VAT deferred car, it has to be paid when you sell it.

Lon More
9th Jul 2006, 10:26
Flowman,my apologies.I always umderstood it was the same as the EU there. BTW I never even got the one.

Avman
11th Jul 2006, 19:02
The only thing which is tax free at Maastricht is abuse from the management! :mad:

Shamrock274
12th Jul 2006, 12:23
SOrry guys this is not related to this thread, but just been wondering

Avman where is Limbabwe??

zed3
13th Jul 2006, 06:55
Limbabwe is our affectionate name for Limburg province in the south of the Netherlands !