PDA

View Full Version : uplifting fuel

tangovictor
2nd Jul 2006, 09:22
Im wondering, as most airfields seem to cater for Avgas, and some JetA1, how do people with Rotax engined a/c's and others, that require Mogas
get on ? Or do you limit your flying to whatever your tank will hold ???
TV

microlight AV8R
2nd Jul 2006, 10:25
I'm a stude on the EV-97 Eurostar. It has a rotax 912 engine which runs on 95 octane unleaded. It will also run on AVGAS but this reduces the service interval. You can mix the fuels and there is no discernable difference in performance.

Lots of airfields which operate this type usually have a 'petrol run' arrangement to assist visiting aircraft to refuel.

It is interesting to chat with pilots flying the usual GA types and give them the stats:

Cruise at 80 mph = 9 litres per hour on (cheaper) unleaded :eek:

Rod1
2nd Jul 2006, 14:14
I have a 912S which will run on both but with 25 hour service on Avgas instead of 50 on Mogas. I run on Mogas when I can get it and Avgas otherwise with no problem so far.

Rod1

eyeinthesky
2nd Jul 2006, 14:59
So how do you decide your service interval? Worst case (25 hours) or if you mix Avgas and Mogas how do you measure the flying hours with each type of fuel?

tangovictor
2nd Jul 2006, 15:31
I am aware of the problems running on Avgas, thats why I asked the question, how do you, get Mogas, at an away airfield ? as it seems most don't cater for it, ( yet )

Rod1
2nd Jul 2006, 19:30
I get the Mogas to the airfield by driving to my local petrol station, filing 3 X 20L metal cans (or less) and then driving to the airfield! I use an anti static siphoning system to fuel the aircraft.

I count any mix of Avgas greater than 25% as Avgas and count the hours as double. I did not come up with this myself; it is common practice in my local area and appears to follow the rules.

I am off to France for a week starting next Saturday and will need to bring my 50 hour check forward by about 17 hours when I get back, which is a pain. Avgas at my local airfield is £1.40 so lots of good reasons to use Mogas whenever possible.

Rod1

EGBKFLYER
3rd Jul 2006, 08:54
Those who are close to Sywell (EGBK) can avail themselves of our MOGAS pump... With the automated credit card payment system, I believe you can alsoe use it after hours, though it would be worth checking this with the tower first (01604 644917).

tangovictor
3rd Jul 2006, 16:20
I wonder, if I explained my question correctly ? I am aware of the Avgas problem, and its self explanitory to fill large cans with pump petrol, and either pump or pour it into your a/c, before flight.
my original question was what about fueling away ????
ECBK thank you, for your imput, Sywell has mogas, Does anywhere else ?

Mariner9
4th Jul 2006, 08:49
Thought the previous answers clarified things TV. If it helps, my procedure for fuelling away is as follows:

1. Ask if Mogas can be made available when calling for PPR. It often can with reasonable notice.
2. If meeting friends/family there, ask them to bring some mogas
3. If 1 & 2 fail, fill up with Avgas.

It really is no big issue.

tangovictor
4th Jul 2006, 16:18
Thought the previous answers clarified things TV. If it helps, my procedure for fuelling away is as follows:
1. Ask if Mogas can be made available when calling for PPR. It often can with reasonable notice.
2. If meeting friends/family there, ask them to bring some mogas
3. If 1 & 2 fail, fill up with Avgas.
It really is no big issue.

I thought only 1 person answered my question ! Sywell has mogas
I would have thought, filling up with Avgas, is a big issue myself ?
cutting the maintainence time by 50%, more than a big issue in fact

Rod1
4th Jul 2006, 18:06
Not a big issue for a home built aircraft. The bits cost very little, but you are looking at most of a days work including inspection, which is a pain. At 99% of the airfields I fly into it is Avgas or nothing. Of course, I may have completely misunderstood all your posts……

Rod1

Rod1
4th Jul 2006, 18:51
"I don't TV's question could be clearer!"

No comment!

It took me 1800 hours over three years to build mine, so one day is a pain, a new wing is a big issue!

Rod1

Rod1
4th Jul 2006, 19:50
Having done a bit of work on hours flown, the number of occasions I fuelled with Avgas and allowing that the Permit resets the clock, in an average year it makes no difference to the number of checks I would need! It will bring my mid year check forward, which means I will have the day out in potentially better weather but that is it in my case.

The only extra cost will be the fuel itself, which is about £140 per year extra.

This is based on an MCR (912ULS) with an 80L tank doing 125kn and 80 hours a year. Most flights, excluding my week in France, do not require re-fuel due to 4 hours flight time plus reserve.

I will refrain from commenting on big issue / minor pain, you can make your own mind up!

Rod1

Mariner9
5th Jul 2006, 08:40
The halving of the maintenance periods is only applicable if you run wholly on Avgas (and many Rotax's do). Basically, all thats required is a more frequent change of oil and filters and (maybe) the spark plugs. In my last 100 hours of operation in my Pioneer, I filled up with Avgas 12 times, with a total of uplift of 360 litres. Total Mogas uplift in the period was 1260 litres. When I changed the sparkplugs there was no visible evidence whatsoever (to me at any rate) of any lead fouling.

As my aircraft's got 4.5hrs and over 500 miles endurance, Avgas uplifting is generally limited to extended touring trips.

Rod1
5th Jul 2006, 11:59
So Mariner9’s extra cost is also about £140 per year. Based on a cost difference of 40 ppl between Avgas and Mogas.

Rod1

Mariner9
5th Jul 2006, 13:37
Almost correct Rod, 'cept I did the 100 hours in only 7 months :ok: My aircraft's coming up to her 1st birthday - 21st July to be exact. New permit secured from the PFA already :D :ok: