PDA

View Full Version : Gander Clearance

javelin
1st Jul 2006, 08:13
I pass through Gander quite frequently and as everyone else does, I collect my Oceanic clearance, sadly not by Datalink :ugh:

I try and pay attention, I know the procedure on our side of the Atlantic and on the other side, yet it still amazes me to hear pilots not reading clearances back correctly time and time again.

I am trying to think I am not being a pedant here, but if the controller says - Expect Flight Level XXX, that is what should be read back, not cleared Flight Level XXX.

It frustrates me because it clogs up the channels, God knows what the clearance guys think :ok:

BOAC
1st Jul 2006, 08:28
To divert your thread slightly (apologies), having recently done a short spell of transatlantic non CPDLC, non ACARS, I am amazed at how primitive the whole clearance system on HF is. EG having Santa Maria on Shanwick freqs etc etc can make it a tiring exercise.

Same with T9 ( north/south west of France) - it could easily be covered with VHF repeaters on the Brest peninsula and at Santiago - and it seems to be getting busier too! I understand (from a Shanwick supervisor) that it is a budgetary constraint. Madrid seem to be trying to 'muscle-in' on Oceanic clearances there north-bound so why not give them the job on VHF, as with Shanwick 123.95 west/southbound? Also works eastbound out of Canada. That leaves HF for the long-range pos. reports and Selcall checks.

Throw in your mis-heard, incorrect read-backs (we all have to learn!) and it can make for a long, drawn-out process.