PDA

View Full Version : Camping & Flying - Help Please!

Pudnucker
30th Jun 2006, 15:27
Hi guys,

Looking to fly up to Scotland for ten days in August. Wondering if anyone knows of any small strips that allow camping on site? Need around 650-700m of strip.... The more remote the better! Longing to go and do some of this type of thing in Canada one day but Scotland will have to do for now... any ideas??

microlight AV8R
30th Jun 2006, 16:50
That's exactly what I want to do in due course. I shall watch this thread with interest. Hope you have fun.

Pudnucker
30th Jun 2006, 17:17
Thanks, trying to work out weight and balance with camping gear - having to restrict the missus to 15Kg of bagge... that means only TWO pairs of shoes!!!!

youngskywalker
30th Jun 2006, 17:25
Mull-Glenforsa? Not sure of the grass runway length but they do camp on the airfield as far as I know. Stunning scenery.:)

SparkyBoy
30th Jun 2006, 18:40
Try this site for general information ...

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/06airfields/UK/uks.htm

... and remember that camping in Scotland is much easier than in England, NI and Wales. Scotland is governed by a seperate land law which essentialy allows you to set up camp almost anywhere. The best of Scotland can be seen by moving away from the campsites, taking some provisions and setting up in the middle of nowhere.

"One of the joys of visiting Scotland is to appreciate their long standing culture of their ‘no trespass law’ in which so long as nothing is disturbed you will have the right to wander the land as you please. "

For more information see ...

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/default.asp?nPageID=26&nSubContentID=0

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Sparky

RatherBeFlying
30th Jun 2006, 19:27
You want to be very sure that the insect mesh in your tent is fine enough to keep out the smallest flying biting creature in the vicinity. That may be midges -- here in Canada we have sand flies the size of the dot of an i.

Storm flaps work, but the resultant stuffiness is not good for the mood of any female company:uhoh:

stiknruda
30th Jun 2006, 21:51
WR

I asume that you mean Loch Lomond - the ch is like an outpouring of breath

Stik

(porridge wog)

SparkyBoy
1st Jul 2006, 09:45
Most quieter airfields will allow you to camp under the wing. Any naked flames or cooking should, of course, be done in a safe area away from aircraft. I'm flying/camping tomorrow.

Funny that midges in Scotland should come up as this was discussed on a Radio 4 programme the other day. Apparently they don't bite but wee on you. They are very bad around places like Lock Loman. I think it said there are web sites (like weather, pollen sites etc.) showing how bad they are. When they are bad , don't camp!!!

:=

For the love of god, please don't comment on anything scottish when you spell Loch, with a "ck" and Lomond with an "an". :rolleyes:

Midges are easily repeled using 'Bug Off' spray, available in most camp stores in the UK or online. Your tent will however need a mosquito net door, but most already come with that.

Don't let a bunch of little flies put anyone off seeing the beauty of Scotland and what better way to see it than from the air. :D

Genghis the Engineer
1st Jul 2006, 09:57
I've not done an awful lot of this, but...

- I know that Glenforsa don't mind you camping under the wing. Also it's arguably the most charming airfield in Britain, if not the world.

- I recently stopped overnight and camped at Fishburn, between Durham and Newcastle. Lovely friendly place, gorgeous scenery, very cheap, fuel available. Okay, it's not actually in Scotland, but a long way north within England, so might be a useful staging point en-route North or South.

- Not sure of the current situation, but there was a club caravan on North Connel airfield at Oban that you could make use of.

- There's a friendly SYHA Youth Hostel at Broadford village, which despite what it may look like on a map is NOT next to Broadford airfield (on Skye). Nonetheless, it's a lovely walk - about 4 miles. No idea about camping there, but somehow doubt anybody would mind if you asked.

- If you don't like long walks, there's a hostel (and about 100 B&Bs) a short walk from Plockton. No idea about camping there.

- On Lewis they're happy for you to camp anywhere that doesn't cause a nuisance, so camping on or near Stornoway airfield shouldn't be a problem. That said, I've not tried - the one time I've been on Harris and Lewis, I was backpacking and didn't visit the airfield.

G

RINKER
1st Jul 2006, 12:37
Have camped in Scotland quite a bit although from r22 & r44,in very remote places and always hoped it would start the next day!.Main reason for posting although it may be obvious weigh everthing it's amazing what sleeping bags etc weigh and I managed to buy a 2 person tent that weighs only 2.5kg and by the way if you like red wine with your evening meal a box of wine weighs a lot less than the equivalent amount of bottles.Also we use things like lightweight drinks in cups like you get from coffee machines etc as they are a lot lighter than normal mugs etc.Doing everything carefully have managed it in the r44 with 4 pax all within limits.All off airport of course in a heli but might be of use.

ContinentalC85
1st Jul 2006, 14:19
Another good destination is the Isle of Gigha , just off the Mull of Kintyre
I believe there is now a small campsite close to the hotel , about 3/4 mile from the airstrip ( all the better for grub and a few beers ) . Hire bikes and explore ....
He's retired now , but there was one chap who was the island undertaker, postman, shop owner , garage owner etc etc - Seamus McSporran - what a wonderful name !
Hope to be there last week in July..
Flying around the Caingorms? Try giving the gliding site a Feshiebridge near Aviemore a call ( a good 900 metres as I remember) . Was stuck there for 2 days a couple of summers ago ( wind /rain ) but they allowed us use of an old caravan , a keg of beer and a bottle of whisky . Stuck , who cares ...

helicopter-redeye
1st Jul 2006, 16:09
I've seen people camping in the aircraft park on Gigha.

NB, Rinker, whats the situation in Scotland with off field landings for camping (remote spots/ beach areas, etc). Do you need per of the landowner to land/camp or is that covered by the no trespass point a few above?

h-r?

QDMQDMQDM
1st Jul 2006, 21:16
Do not camp too close to the aircraft if it is made of fabric. Sooner or later a willing helper will stick tent pole thru aircraft.

I speak from bitter experience.

QDM

SparkyBoy
2nd Jul 2006, 07:52
Do not camp too close to the aircraft if it is made of fabric. Sooner or later a willing helper will stick tent pole thru aircraft.

I speak from bitter experience.

QDM

lol, I can just imagine my wife doing something as silly as this. :eek:

PH-UKU
2nd Jul 2006, 14:11
And why not ? We're a damn sight closer too :p
Camping - Mull 800m and Gigha (800m but make sure it's dry and watch the upslope) have all been mentioned. Well worth a visit, and treat yourself to a nice meal in the Glenforsa Hotel on Mull - run by Brendan who has a SuperCub.
Another good strip is Bute - bit short for you at 480m? but beautiful grass strip and friendly friendly locals - phone before arriving - camping on strip is fine and 15 minute walk to local hotel.
Feshiebridge (800m grass) is a stunning location too - speak to the gliders.
Tiree - run by HIAL, but there are fantastic beaches 20 minutes walk from the runway.
Colonsay is beautiful but not available as runway is dug up at the moment - getting 500m of tarmac laid. Same thing happening at Coll.
Skye 780m - strip in middle of nowhere - but bus goes passed end of road for Broadford/Portree.
Plockton 600m (watch the trees at north end)- a jewel on the West Coast. Camping under aircraft fine - 15 minute walk to beautiful village.
And then if you fancy another 30 minutes over water, and can put up with HIAL's arsey opening hours .. Barra. A veritable carpet of flowers. Just remember to wash off the sand/spray as soon as you get back to the mainland.
Oban - still work in progress, so phone before setting off - but a warm welcome now that Paul is back in charge - 01631 710384
And why not ring Neil at Neil's Seaplanes ? He can scoot over to Oban or Mull pick you up in his amphib and give you an hours float flying ..... 0778947490
Tell him DRAM sent you ;-)

Pudnucker
2nd Jul 2006, 15:22
Guys,

Thank you for your posts - really useful info:)

Pudnucker
3rd Jul 2006, 11:44
One thing that I am puzzled about is Camping Gas... The CAA class this as dangerous goods and apparantly the rules are identical for all aircraft and classes of flights. Apparantly it cannot be carried even on non-passenger flights (where I could designate the other half as official observer or navigator)... Most people seem to be of the opinion to take it and not to worry... (Bearing in mind I'm unlikely to go higher than 5000 ft) I was thinking about using Hexy-Block but understand it causes a right mess. Any thoughts?

slim_slag
3rd Jul 2006, 12:29
Camping gas containers aren't going to worry about 5000ft, they are routinely sold in shops at higher altitudes. If anything the pressure will be lower as it's generally colder, which you will notice when trying to brew up first thing in the morning. Best to take something you can pump and use your common sense. If you are really worried about non-relevent dangerous goods regs, some stoves will happily burn the stuff you are carrying in your wing, so take a syphon tube!

RINKER
3rd Jul 2006, 14:15
h-r
I think trespass laws allow you onto peoples land if you are not causing damage etc,however I don,t believe you are allowed to use a vehicle;quad 4x4 etc so I suppose an aircraft would be included in this unfortunatley so back to land owners permission I think.However chip light on! bad wx no one knows your there easier to get forgiven than get permission etc but I have never done any of the above.Seriously though landowners permission the way to go
R.

Chippik
3rd Jul 2006, 14:44
you could try Sollas thats nice and isolated not sure of the length though.

Bluebeard777
19th Jul 2006, 13:38
Mmm Sollas, not in Pooleys, does anyone have contact details?