PDA

View Full Version : Microlighting in the USA - help!!!

snapper41
29th Jun 2006, 09:05
I wonder if anyone can help me? I hold a UK PPL for microlights, and am off to Florida to work for 6 months. Can I fly microlights (ultralights) there on my UK licence? I've 'phoned several US clubs, but no-one seems to know. I've applied to the CAA and FAA to have my licence accredited for the USA. Also, if I want to upgrade to a GA PPL (JAA), do I need a student visa, given that I already have a licence? Any help gratefully received!!

Jucky
29th Jun 2006, 20:39
Try

www.sportflightinternational.com

The guy who runs that school used to be an instructor in the UK. He may be able to help.

Regards,

Jucky

Whopity
29th Jun 2006, 20:55
Try the BMAA at Deddington and have a chat with Roy Hart 01869 338888. I don't think your Microlight licence will be recognised in the USA. Probably easiest is to do FAA PPL whilst there then if you want to convert to JAA on return you can. You can use the FAA licence in the UK anyway.

172driver
29th Jun 2006, 21:06
Also, if I want to upgrade to a GA PPL (JAA), do I need a student visa, given that I already have a licence? Any help gratefully received!!
AFAIK, yes, you do, as you will be doing flight training as opposed to, say, hour-building. In other words, if you fly on a license you already hold, no visa required, if you train for a new license (or rating) then yes.