PDA

View Full Version : VFR UK to Europe

SparkyBoy
28th Jun 2006, 14:36
Okay, this may seem like a really dumb question but I'm new to things with only 7.5 hours under my belt in PUT time.

I'd like to know if, once I have my PPL, it's reasonable to expect to fly VFR to somewhere liske Spain from Biggin Hill .
Is this something that is done regularly or is it quite difficult?

How long would it take?

I considered the obvious weather factor and the planning around it would be quite difficult, but that aside is it possible?

I would also need to rent an a/c, how much on average would that generally cost?

I'm a long way off my license at the moment and I usualy lose my bearings 10 nm out of the aerodrome but the navigation lessons aren't far away now.

Cheers

Sparky

Rod1
28th Jun 2006, 14:46
It is entirely possible to fly to Spain VFR, I have done it, but it was some time ago. You would usually land in France on the way but some aircraft would manage direct if you could sit still that long. Time depends on the aircraft but say six hours to northern Spain? If you have to ask about the cost you cannot afford it. To make a flight like this practical you need a share.

Rod1

drauk
28th Jun 2006, 18:36
For those "how long" questions, try http://fly.dsc.net/u/Plan You'll get an answer in seconds, for any trip you can imagine.

S-Works
28th Jun 2006, 18:42
i flew to Spain the week before last, in fact Mallorca in the Balearic Islands. It is easy to do and both the french and the spanish are more accomodating than there UK counterparts.

I decided on the Saturday, ordered some charts and left on the wednesday. 7hrs each way.

SparkyBoy
29th Jun 2006, 08:09
Thanks all, that clears things up for me.

I can't think of anything better than doing that trip in a 4 seater PA28, seeing all the sights from a few thousand feet

But my 18 month old daughter would be stir crazy by 7 hours and the 14 hour rental charge would make it less than economical.

License first then a plane share is the way forward. :ok:

S-Works
29th Jun 2006, 08:22
the total cost for the trip was £700, this was fuel, fixed costs, landing fees etc. Split between two of us. My other flew down sleazy jet and that cost me £229.

IO540
29th Jun 2006, 20:43
One day, when you are flat on your back on your deathbed, will you wish that you spent less money on something you enjoyed?