PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL to FAA PPL???????

Eff Oh
28th Jun 2006, 10:41
Hi Guys
I am a JAA (UK) ATPL(A) holder with B757/B767 type ratings. 4000hrsTT. I am about to renew my SEP rating and wondered how to go about getting an FAA licence. I don't want to use it for ATPL privelages, purely PPL. Is there an easy way to get an FAA PPL issued on my JAA ATPL?:confused: Any info would be much appreciated! :ok: :ok:
Eff Oh

S-Works
28th Jun 2006, 12:47
did you burn your PPL when you climed to the hallowed ranks of being an ATPL?

Your ATPL does not confer SEP rights so if you want an FAA PPL you just dig out your old PPL revalidate and then apply to the FAA, paying your £15 to the CAA on the way for validation statement and head off to the USA to pick it up.

Eff Oh
28th Jun 2006, 13:14
No I didn't burn my PPL, I never had one in the first place! (CAP 509 grad.) :}
I know the ATPL has no SEP rights, hence why I am renewing my SEP rating, thus giving me back those rights. So would I be right in saying that once I have renewed my SEP rating, I need to apply to the CAA for a validation statement. Then I need to apply to the FAA and pick the licence up in the USA???
How much do the FAA charge for the licence?
Are there any flight tests involved?
How long does it take to get the licence?

S-Works
28th Jun 2006, 13:51
FAA PPL is free. You will need to do a BFR.

It takes between 2 and 6 weeks to sort the paperwork. When you get to the USA you call the FBO that you nominated when you applied for the licence and arrange an appointment. Turn up and they ask you a few questions, show them your ID and UK licence and they hand over the FAA licence. You then head off to a Flight school and get a BFR done to validate it and off you go.

If you want to get IR rights then you need to do the foriegn instrument pilot test and do the check ride at the same time as the BFR.

Easy.

Eff Oh
28th Jun 2006, 16:42
Thanks mate. :ok:

englishal
28th Jun 2006, 20:30
Being the FAA they may even include your 757 and 767 type ratings (for private privileges only :eek: :) )

IO540
29th Jun 2006, 09:19
I know a JAA ATPL doesn't by default include IMC Rating privileges but isn't there some route where you can apply to the CAA to get a plain PPL and IMCR nevertheless?

BillieBob
29th Jun 2006, 10:33
Why would you want to? An ATPL includes all of the privileges of a PPL and, if a valid IR is held, why would you want an IMCR? In any case, even if the IR is not valid, the IMCR can be included in an ATPL.

IO540
29th Jun 2006, 10:57
Because a multi-crew ATPL doesn't give you single-crew IR privileges, AIUI.

For an airline pilot holding the old CAA (non JAA) ATPL wishing to fly spamcans in his spare time, the simplest way out of this is to get the "free IMC Rating" concession which is given to any CAA (non JAA) CPL-or-higher holder.

What I was referring to is the case of a JAA (not CAA) ATPL holder. AIUI these don't get that concession, but there may be a way around it.

To get a spamcan-usable JAA IR, the ATP has to do a checkride and, I believe, some other stuff. I friend has just done this; he did a checkride with his old line training captain :) If you are doing this at retirement, you have to do it before your ATPL expires!

Eff Oh
29th Jun 2006, 14:48
Incidently I have a UK CAA CPL and a JAA ATPL. Not bothered about the IMC rating, I dont intend to fly a single engine piston a/c in IMC.

BillieBob
29th Jun 2006, 18:41
IO540 - I think you misunderstand. Revalidation of a MPA type rating gives cross-credit for the IR part of a proficiency check for a SPA class rating (JAR-FCL 1.246(3)). However, that is irrelevant since Eff Oh does not intend to fly in IMC.

My point was that there is no necessity to hold a PPL since all of the SPA ratings (including the IMCR) can be included in a (JAA) ATPL.