PDA

View Full Version : Which school?

king rooney
3rd Jan 2006, 12:53
Hi all,

After months of deliberation I am inches away from choosing a training provider and starting me modular ATPL.
Basically, how important is the choice of school for this in the eyes of the airlines? I understand that certain integrated providers in the UK may have a relationship with airlines which allow their students to potentially get jobs sooner, is this also the case with modular course providers?

My particular dilema lies between choosing the CABAIR mod course at Orlando/ Bournemouth, or the course at Stapleford Flight Centre in Essex. From what I can make out the Stapleford course is on paper better than the cabair one, using better planes, more cost effective with all the hours building in the UK, not the US. My only doubt is the claims form Cabair that they can recommend me direct to airlines after completing the course, where as Stapleford apparently do not have such links.

Are such "airline relationships" a reality for modular students, or are they just a carrot on a stick to get students? Does anyone out there have first hand experience of being put forward to an airline after finishing a mod course at one of the big training providers?

Draven
3rd Jan 2006, 13:48
I did some flying (PA28) over with Stapleford awhile back and loved it, the prices at the time were resonable and i enjoyed very much the atmosphere.

Airlines and modular, well you will find different views to this question, but the fact is that airlines do hire modulars and integrated if they prefer one or the other that i cannot answer.

Good luck with your choice.

captain_murray
29th Mar 2006, 22:03
hi just wondering what flying schools people would recommend, theres the obvious cranfield and oxford but if i'm going to pay for it then i fancy going abroad!

Had a look at riverside in oklahoma and american school of aviation anyone got any feedback on them?

I hear there a few in spain too? any names?

thanks

scroggs
30th Mar 2006, 08:53
Please try using the search facility. Also read this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649).

Scroggs

D'vay
13th Apr 2006, 19:16
Oh scroggs, you and your search facility, anything for the easy life eh old boy!
He repeats that phrase above about two hundred times a day and although he his right and there is lots of good information that can be found by searching for it, you have chosen to ask. I respect that as it makes any advice more personable and let's face it, you are about to spend a lot of money!
I can't give you much advice outside the scope of Riverside. I am training with them and they impress me more everyday I'm there!
Give them a call in their English office and see if you like what they have to offer, I'm sure that you will!
P.M. me if you have any further question, another guy who went there is a gentleman who goes by the handle WX MAN he helped me make up my mind to go there. (incidently WXman yuri keeps promising me some hillarious stories of your antics, but as yet he has failed to deliver, you sound like a man after my own heart).
Ta Ra
D'vay

Wazzoo
14th Apr 2006, 11:31
Oh scroggs, you and your search facility, anything for the easy life eh old boy!
He repeats that phrase above about two hundred times a day and although he his right and there is lots of good information that can be found by searching for it, you have chosen to ask. I respect that as it makes any advice more personable and let's face it, you are about to spend a lot of money!

Theres a reason he posts that answer every time. Those threads have a wealth of information in there. All of the questions could easily be answered from there, theres threads on the various major flight schools out there and more and as you read through them you'll find many references to other schools. Then all you need is Google and you'll be able to look up the websites of all the different places and you're already half way there.

If people took the time to read through those (which 9 out of 10 don't) they would be able to ask much better and insightful questions which would be more useful to them and people would be able to give much more useful answers as a result.

[Not a rant towards you captain_murray just explaining why the sticky threads are there for good reason and should be made use of rather than rehashing the same subjects every month]

D'vay
14th Apr 2006, 12:26
I agree. My tongue was in my cheek with regards to the comment directed striaght to scroggs. However, I stand by what I said regarding a personal answer. If you don't wish to spend time answering another's query then don't my friend, only sometimes, I like to put out a good word for the guy's that trained me. I choose my school as a result of some encouraging words from WXMAN. If I had have searched the site, no doubt I'd have felt that the goal was a little less achieveable for the money that I had. The best advice I can give to anybody is do a residential PPL and in that time you will get so much advice and information that you'll leave four weeks later knowing about all you can about the various licences and ratings and where best to complete these and how long it will take.
I am passionate about seeing others suceed at this and if I see a question and I have time to answer it then I will. I wish not to offend anyone here, especially not you scroggs. Friends?
Regards
D'vay
x

Wazzoo
14th Apr 2006, 12:40
Apologies if I shot my mouth of a bit earlier. You're reply was helpful and well intentioned. I'm certainly not against helping people! (not least because I have had a lot of help myself from others!) I'm not really in the position of being a great help to others having not started my training, yet, but I do appreciate those who have and can pass the advice on.

I just remember when I started looking at these forums, it took me many months reading through old threads and just soaking up the wealth of information about training to be a pilot and the industry as a whole and also watching the discussions come and go and come back again. It was only then that I felt able to start posting and know that I had a question worth asking.

But then I know each person is different in that respect and don't wish to say people have to do it that way!

D'vay
14th Apr 2006, 12:55
No need to apologise wazzoo. Are you going to get some training done? Please do, it would sure beat being 40 and working for a bank. You can do a PPL for only £5000 and whatever you do for a living you can raise that in as little as six months!
Good luck
D'vay

Wazzoo
15th Apr 2006, 02:34
No need to apologise wazzoo. Are you going to get some training done? Please do, it would sure beat being 40 and working for a bank. You can do a PPL for only £5000 and whatever you do for a living you can raise that in as little as six months!
Good luck
D'vay

Thanks for the comments D'vay.

Hope to start this Sept/Nov, going for my fATPL. As you say, I don't want to end up behind a desk..but its a steep hill to climb to get there. I Hope I can come through it with some good stories to tell and helpful advice for others.

scroggs
15th Apr 2006, 07:58
Guys, don't worry! Firstly I have a fairly thick hide, and secondly I can usually spot irony and tongue-in-cheek remarks at several paces!

Scroggs

Allioth
18th May 2006, 11:24
Hi to everyone,
probably you're already so tired of my questions... But doubts come over and over again... It's just because of all the threads I see in this forum, I never come to a final decision and conclusion!!! :confused:
If anyone would like to answer me, I would really appreciate it... Thanks in advance...

Finally I got the loan, with the help of my parents, of 50.000 Euros, which is about 35.000 pounds...

I really NEED to do my ATPL course... I've been waiting for so much time that now I can't just wait any more!

Options are:

- Stapleford (main one!!! :) )
- USA accelerated schools (and then come here to convert...:hmm: )
- Work a bit more and save for another school such as Oxford, CTC or Cabair (sounds intresting, but I'll need to work a few years more to get the money... and I woun't like to wait so long... But if it worths it... :rolleyes: )

Any advice is welcome... And I'm REALLY sorry for all these questions, guys... Thanks SO much for the help you always gave me...

Bye, Allioth

BitMoreRightRudder
18th May 2006, 15:29
Allioth

Have you had a good look at the CTC scheme? I don't know if you understand the financial set up - if you are entering as a cadet with little experience you don't need to have X amount of thousands in the bank as the loan will be sorted for you. If you are dead set on getting the blue book and working for an airline, it is worth applying before you borrow lots of money.

I think the best course of action would be to make a decision on where/with whom to do your training and then sort out finance, rather than borrowing a ball park sum speculatively.
From reading your post I am thinking you have already borrowed cash and are now trying to decide on which training provider to go to. Is that the situation?

Freespirit8870
19th May 2006, 16:38
You could have a look at www.get-flying.com

theschultx
20th May 2006, 08:19
you could have a look at finland, there is one called bf lento here:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/bf-lento/

The full atpl costs 53,000€

Varun
21st May 2006, 09:40
Hi,

You could also take a look at Greece. www.egnatia-aviation.com (http://www.egnatia-aviation.com)

Their courses include all exam and licence fees ect, and also accomodation!

/Varun

Mike Whiskey Romeo
27th Jun 2006, 18:54
Hey all,
im nearly finished my PPL in florida. IM ijn university at thre mo but I want to do an ATPL on graduation (3 Years). Ive looked into most of the big flight schools in europe, Oxford, Jerez, SAS in sweden etc and I was wondering if any one has experience of these schools ciouold you let me know how you got on. I know I have plenty of time but picking a flightschool that offers value for money and decent employment prospects takes a bit of work.

Cheers

Hamil000
27th Jun 2006, 19:56
hi there,
i have visted oxford for there semniars, let me tell u, they are higly professional, they no what there talking about, but one thing, two expensive you will spend around 60,000£ in total

i have viste Cabair, well they dont give that glamary feature that oxford had but still they can get the job done, this summer i wil viste spain but no way iam i going to sas or any other training schools.

doesnt matter what school you go to the end result is the same a jet job, your first job will alway be the hardest, same every where

good luck

Mike Whiskey Romeo
27th Jun 2006, 21:15
Hey Hamil000
Tahnks for the reply. Is there something wrong with SAS standards or why do you seem against them?? Just wondering, nothing against you by the way

scroggs
27th Jun 2006, 21:51
Two things: Archive Reference Threads - READ BEFORE YOU POST A QUESTION! (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649), and the wonderful Search (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php) facility.

They're very useful.

Scroggs

Seagull61
14th Oct 2006, 17:09
Okay,
There`s a load of threads on here about various FTO offering this,that and the other. I have the funding for a JAA integrated course and so far have the following in mind:

1)FTE
2)NEAR AS (given my current location)
3) Westerm Autralian Aviation

I`m 29 and need to think about after course prospects, also hold a JAA PPL so that may knock a few k off the price!

Just wondering how you`d rank those and maybe throw anyone else in there while you`re at it (OAT etc).

Alex Whittingham
14th Oct 2006, 19:26
...of the ones you've chosen, FTE. Don't know much about the Norwegian school, though. Also consider CTC and Cabair.

Piltdown Man
14th Oct 2006, 21:20
Now that's what I call an endorsement!

adwjenk
14th Oct 2006, 21:36
Hi
Out of the ones you have chosen FTE sounds the best! I haven’t heard much about the other two though!!
Also like Alex said try cabair and CTC as well as Oxford! Or if you’re looking for a good structured mod course there’s Stapleford flight centre in the UK!! But the main ones for Integrated in the UK are Oxford and Cabair, and the best one outside the UK would have to be FTE!
For jobs afterwards, Oxford and FTE are very good at placing their graduates with airlines!! CTC you will most likely be assigned and airline why you are still training but as with every course they don’t offer definite jobs!!! CTC is by far the hardest of the selections to complete, with only a very very small % meting the standard!
As far as rebates go for holding a PPL I am unaware of any integrated course that will give you an hours reduction! Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong!!
Have a look on various school websites, there is normally information on where their grads have gone etc….
Best of luck with your decisions it’s going to be a tough one!! :ugh:
:ok:

BlueRobin
15th Oct 2006, 00:20
If you have a PPL, wouldn't it pay nay isn't it necessary to go the modular route?

smith
15th Oct 2006, 00:39
If you have a PPL, I think OAT and FTE will reduce the course by 20hrs. There will be no cash saving as a PPL is 45hrs. Also you may not fit in as well if the rest of class are 0 hours. My advice do not do PPL before an integrated course!!!

Seagull61
15th Oct 2006, 07:40
It`s too late. I have a PPL and around 65TT so still very fresh. Personal circumstances and age are making an Integrated course the way to go - I can self fund and have no debt at the end of it....(albeit my life savings would have gone, but you can`t take it with you!).

I`ll check out CTC as well, thanks. I like the look of FTW and WAAC - although there isn`t any feedback from the latter on the first lot of intake.

adwjenk
15th Oct 2006, 09:14
Hi,

I know loads of people who have taken the integrated route with a PPL even close to the 100hrs mark!

You will be able to pick things up a lot quicker and progress faster then the students with less hours but it is not a stopper to starting an integrated course!

planecrazy.eu
15th Oct 2006, 09:42
With regards to PPL and Integrated, i noticed that some integrated courses, mainly the airline sponsored ones will not take ppl's with hours over 60-hours. This was the case with the FlyBe and Cabair deal. I was going to do my PPL but then decided against it as not only are there some restrictions with some schemes, but i was also told by one of these FTO's that it defeats the object of "Integrated" as you have done 25% of it out of there controlled and continous environment.

Integrated is the way i will go, it fits my needs and my situation at present, this may chance and Modular become the option though. I have decided i will go, OAT, FTE, CAT and if i fail all three, i must not be pilot material right now.

EGCC FO
15th Oct 2006, 10:04
Also you may not fit in as well if the rest of class are 0 hours

Im sorry, but RUBBISH!!

Just out of interest have you been on an integrated course?

AirLCY
11th Nov 2006, 17:00
I'm planning to start an intergrated self funded JAA ATPL couse early next year.

I will probably go to Cabair, Oxford or FTE. I've been looking at all their websites and I am visitng all three in the next few weeks. Does anyone on here have advice on which is better to go for, I obvioulsy get differing opinions from everyone I ask, but all suggestions / info is useful. I guess one of my aims is quick employment at the end of training.

I was planning to wait until Easter or early Summer, but my current employer is the process of being bought sold off (any guesses who I work for), therefore I will lose my job, so I'm moving things on a bit more quickly.

Many thanks

mcgoo
11th Nov 2006, 17:04
Hi , try the search button, all the schools you mention have dedicated threads about them!

WilliamLochrie
7th Feb 2007, 19:17
Hi everyone :)

Im brand new to these boards and i am just intruiged to see what people's opinions are for the best flying school. The sort of criteria im looking for are: quality of teaching, value for money, structure of course etc etc. I am in my first year at uni currently and have wanted to become a pilot for the last 12 years. I have always been actively researching the flying schools and recentely attended a seminar by FTE which was very interesting. Im planning on going down to Oxford soon as well as seeing what CTC McAlpine has to offer. So what are people's opinons/experiences of the training that the schools have to offer, thanks in advance for any replies to this thread!!!! :ok:

Oh yeah, im really happy as today i passed my Class 2 medical!!!! Not a big deal to some but it is to me as i know that my career lies in aviation one way or the other, so i am very chuffed!

bigjarv
7th Feb 2007, 21:13
Not a big name but I did all my training with Airways Flight Training down in Exeter. Obviously got nothing to compare it to but have nothing but good words to say about them. Do a search on here and you will only find positive feedback. Great price, great airfield and great instructors. Take a look!

wangus
21st Feb 2007, 10:34
Unable to find posts on these three. Would be interested in any feedback from former CPL students, with potential of IR. Narrowed it down to these three.

scroggs
21st Feb 2007, 11:47
Wolverhampton Flight Centre (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=222248&highlight=wolverhampton)

Aeros Staverton/Gloucester (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223460&highlight=aeros)

BCT? Do you mean Bournemouth College of Flight Training (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62040&highlight=BCFT) (BCFT)?

Everything is there for he who searches.

scroggs

mustflywillfly
26th Feb 2007, 10:56
Dear All,

Easy question.. I think (although struggling to find all the answers I need through the search option)

I have a PPL with 191 hrs TT.

Q) Can anyone suggest a school offering residential ME CPL/IR AND ATPL ground school + exams within a time frame of 5 months and a budget of £30k (to include all fees and accommodation) ??? Happy to go abroad as long as JAA.

Many thanks. MFWF:ok:

potkettleblack
26th Feb 2007, 11:27
5 months including the 14 ATPL exams??? Surely this can't be right? Even if you self studied and were Einsteins long lost illegitimate great great great grandson thrice removed the system is against you. For a start you need to enrol with a course provider, then attend their brush up course (2 weeks generally). Brush up courses are usually provided for each module. If you plan on attempting to sit all 14 at once then you will need to attend the relevant brush up courses which might not be run in the month you want.

Then you need to enrol in the exams. This needs at least 3-4 weeks advance booking to ensure you get your preferred centre or else you might be flying to Glasgow and accomodating yourself for the week up there. The results take weeks to come out by which time you have missed the deadline for the following months sitting. You are not allowed to book without having your results so this precludes doing a back to back sitting. Then any CPL/IR FTO who is worth their salt will more than likely not accept your course booking knowing that you haven't passed the exams. The best FTO's have waiting lists for their courses which can be many months in advance. You can go cheap and cheerful elsewhere but buyer beware. In the UK the ME/CPL/IR is going to take a MINIMUM of 3-4 months depending on weather. You can cut some time off if you head off overseas but you won't get it done in half the time or anything like that. At the end of the day there are only so many hours you can fly and your brain will more than likely be fried after each flight anyway. Then there are other factors such as instructor/aircraft/training slot availability to contend with.

5 months - highly unlikely if you have to do the 14 ATPL's. More like 9-12 months and that assumes you pass everything first time and are extremely clued up on the theory side of things. Most people tend to take a year at least just to do the ATPL theory side of things when self studying. Many more run right up to the 18 months deadline which can be quite tight if you can't commit 100% to the study and need time off for a home life.

mustflywillfly
26th Feb 2007, 11:34
Am I right in thinking that if you complete your ATPL exams in the UK then you cannot (without a bloody good reason) complete the flying abroad? If so then how do all these FTO that are based overseas cope with getting studes through?

Cheers

wbryce
26th Feb 2007, 11:45
simple answer is they don't....if you go abroad say for example America and do you training under FAA, you come back to the UK, you need to study and pass the theory and convert your IR. Conversion costs can easily mount up to around 15k.

30k is realistic price though for ATPL theory, CPL and IR here in the UK...

Your CPL/IR training will realisticly cost around 20k - 23k (23k if you do IR/CPL route all on ME aircraft).

I'm doing my ATPLs soon and my finance plan tells me it will cost me around 34k for doing my ATPLs, CPL, IR and MCC incl my planned living expenses and all costs.

PlaneHomerS
26th Feb 2007, 13:28
34k for doing my ATPLs, CPL, IR and MCC incl my planned living expenses and all costs.

that figure looks good...:p

BlueRobin
26th Feb 2007, 14:04
Make sure you have enough % factored in for a contigency. The prices are of course usually quoted for minimum hours and first time passes. At around a typical £300/hr in the UK for dual twin CPL/IR training, a few extra hours soon add up...

potkettleblack
27th Feb 2007, 12:36
To echo what Blue Robin is saying, a partial or a fail can easily turn into a £1,000 day. Then there is the extra accomodation, beer and food money and all those little extras that soon become a big extra cost. So don't skimp on the contingency. I would say take the schools prices and add at a minimum 10-20% on top - assuming you are quoted an all inclusive figure. Things like approach and away landing fees end up being a surprisingly large number at the end of your course. I was stunned at what some shi**y little airfields with nothing more than an air ground radio feel they can charge just cos you turn up in a 30 year old pistion twin.

Take off the rose tinted glasses when crunching your numbers.

sam34
27th Feb 2007, 15:22
which school ??

easy : the cheaper and near your home like me, but if possible of course... :cool:

sam34
:ok:

soulfly
9th Mar 2007, 08:28
hey buddies , great site and lots of amazing work for help and queries here. Hope you all keep it up.

Guys, ive been looking up a lot of flying schools in America and Australia , to join up for my ATPL.
As such i zeored in on these three schools :
Basair , Australia
PanAm , US
RAA Flight Academy , US

i'd be really glad if anyone can let me know how the schools are , or which could be a better option. There are so many flight schools mushrooming around and all sound the same; their programs , the fleet , the instructors and ofcourse WX conditions. Just to make sure i dont end up taking a bad decision ,so am looking for help.
Thanks.

ORATC 1E
10th Mar 2007, 10:37
Hi!
I'm looking at FTE aswell. I also have a PPL also with 65 hours, so the same 'dilema'! FTE will reduce the training by 20hrs, OAT will not, they couldn't care less if you've got a PPL or not really! If i get accepted by FTE after PILAPT testing (next week) then i will go there, over Oxford. It's better value for money (everything included, apart from beer money!), they have really good 'ties' with FlyBe and ThompsonFly (unless that has changed), and in my opinion i think it would be a nicer place to go!
Anyone know any different or have a counter opinion?:confused:

dougieboy
10th Mar 2007, 15:17
HI ORATC,

I too have applied to FTE and am awaiting a date for the PILAPT day. They did mention one date in London but that has so far yet to be confirmed. Just wondered if you were going over there yourself or are going to London. Would be keen to findout how the day goes. Similair dilemma here;; finishing my PPL off now and sometimes wonde if I should have started it in the first place! FTE seems to be the most 'PPL friendly' place. ALso have the app for OAT in front of me.! Good luck with PILAPT!

Commander1
22nd Mar 2007, 22:40
Hey all, I was doing some research the other day about various flight schools across Europe, Canada and the US and didn't find much.

I know there are some out there that just want to rip you off and have poor facilities, badly maintained aircraft etc, need i go on. I am curious to know of any good schools out there that you would recommend for me to train at to become an airline/cargo pilot. I would like to obtain both the JAA and FAA licenses but not sure which one to get first. I heard America was alot cheaper to train in and at least you are guaranteed good weather unlike here :ugh:

I have heard of these schools and I would like to know what you all think of them:

http://www.naiasc.com/

http://www.flyoft.com/

http://www.naples-air-center.com/dev/index.php?view=67

http://www.aerodynamics-malaga.com/

or http://www.mfc.nb.ca/home.php

I dont want to pay an overly enormous amount of money when i could get it slightly cheaper but then again you get what you pay for as the saying goes.

Thats only my list but if you can find something else better i am open to suggestions.

P.S as you've probably saw on the other threads i am Cabin Crew at the moment, i get to save for my pilot training while enjoying flying :ok: :E

Again sorry to be a pain asking so many questions that do sound the same, I am in limbo. :uhoh:

Cheers again

Sarah

tprangner
25th Mar 2007, 14:52
Hello Everyone,

I will be joining the professional pilot training ranks very soon. I would like some opinions. On choosing a flight school to attend, I have been researching what schools interests me. The curriculum is similar; however, the price difference from one school to the other is about $20,000. One school trains by airline standards and the other is the traditional route. One guarantees job interviews, and the other does not. One affiliated with an airline and the other just gives free student housing. You get where I'm going. So my question is what training route makes more sense? Do I choose the school that trains professional pilots the traditional way with no direct connections to the airlines but the prices are much more affordable, or do I choose the priestige and go to the school that will train by airline standards and is directly connected to airlines but will put me $20,000 more in debt?:confused:

captain_rossco
25th Mar 2007, 16:46
It may be worth elaborating on the schools in question to get the best feedback from prunes.

Guaranteed jobs or interviews can carry an air of ambiguity with them these days.

Throw the flight school names out there and you can rest assured you'll recieve alot of facts, opinions and nonsense!

Regards

Rossco

Commander1
25th Mar 2007, 17:14
To sum up, is Canada better to train in than the US with regards to quality of training, value for money and overall goodness and employment at the end of the course (if you have visa's for these countries?)

I've heard horror stories regarding America and all good regarding Canada and overall that Canada is a better country to live in.

:confused:

Commander1
26th Mar 2007, 19:32
Can people tell me their opinion on this between working in the US and Canada? I want to know the good the bad and the ugly :)

apoball
27th Mar 2007, 21:34
I was lucky, I went to Canada and managed to avoid "the bad and the ugly"..

My decision was to train at Moncton Flight College in New Brunswick. My opinions (if I've managed to attach the link correctly) can be found in the following thread:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7849&page=7

Needless to say, I was very happy with my choice. I found the school to be well-run, responsible and, most importantly, safe.

I can't compare MFC to other North American schools because it's the only one I've attended, but I had a fantastic and successful time and would happily recommend them to anyone.

Two years ago I was trying to decide which path to take and I got some invaluable information from this site, and so I'm happy to offer some of my knowledge and experiences back to the readers.

Post here or PM me if you want any opinions or information on the modular training route and/or Moncton Flight College, I'd be happy to help out.

Cheers
APO

Commander1
30th Mar 2007, 23:14
Cool, seems like a really nice flight school. :)

I think the flight school in South Carolina may be better than your average flight school in Florida.

Strange that no one has training there though (NAIASC)

http://www.naiasc.com/

Still trying to figure out if i want to live in either America or Canada, i can do both in the future (if my boyfriend and i get married)

apoball
31st Mar 2007, 00:26
I've had a quick look at the (NAIASC) web page and couldn't see any reference to JAA training. Is it JAA or FAA licences that you're interested in?

Commander1
31st Mar 2007, 14:07
FAA just now but im keeping my options open, interested in the CAA and JAA licenses too but i'd go where to jobs are as long as its a relatively good pay and not peanuts hehehe.

I've heard good and bad about working/living in the US and all good about Canada.

fullex
2nd Apr 2007, 06:41
Hi.

Long time reader, first time writer.

I´m trying to choose a school.

First I was looking at NEAR (norway), BFSAA and SPU.
http://www.nearas.no/default.asp
http://www.bfsaa.se/
http://www.svenskpilotutbildning.se/

Then I started reading this forum and learned about CTC, OAT, FTE and Cabair. They all seemed better whith helping me get that flying job after the education.
The price doesn´t matter that much or differs between sweden and UK.

I live in the south of sweden in Malmo, 20 min from Copenhagen(CPH,EKCH, Kastrup) and 30 min from Malmo (MMX,ESMS, Sturup) so I have to international airport close to me.

If I choose a UK school and get a job at a UK company, Do you think that I still can live in Sweden?

Can I jumpseat with other companies to the UK each rooster?

/Alex

Katherine Alexandra
2nd Apr 2007, 22:19
A lot of airlines expect you to live within an hour of the airport and don't look too favourably on you if you don't have a valid driving license as you'd have to rely on public transport. I'm assuming most would also not be too impressed if you had to catch a flight into work every day!

Having said that though, there are some airlines that could possibly accept that; Netjets and suchlike do have "gateway" cities where it's acceptable to live if you're flying for them. I'd say that it's a personal airline thing though!

KA

garywoodrow
12th Apr 2007, 09:11
Hi, i tried searching for something along these lines but couldnt find anything.

Yesterday i had my first flying lesson with Ravenair out of Liverpool which was a gift from my dad (it was brilliant by the way, i loved every second of it :ok:), anyway i was told by the school i could obtain a ATPL (Frozen) for £30-35k. I know this is cheaper than cabair but i have seen cabair help you finding a job with an airline and can give you jet experience and more. I would just like to know which to go for?
Cabair: £55k
Ravenair: £35k

-I am not sure that ravenair pay for ATPL exams so what would be the cost on them?

garywoodrow
12th Apr 2007, 09:21
I live about 6 miles away so yes i am local, i am just trying to find out now how much the atpl exams cost now, if i do choose ravenair i can start training whilst i am at college too. :)
thanks for replying :ok:

sir.pratt
12th Apr 2007, 09:24
you're comparing apples to oranges - modular to ab initio.

garywoodrow
12th Apr 2007, 09:28
:confused: ok, just need to know which would be better, taking in consideration of costs, which will help me land a job etc. Im stuck between chosing.

shaun ryder
12th Apr 2007, 09:32
A couple of grand for a course from Bristol groundscool etal, I should think. Dont believe the hype when told that schools will find you a job after your very expensive training. There is no gaurantee.

Hairdo
13th Apr 2007, 17:27
Commander1,

I just wanted to pass on my experience with MFC (I know this is a delay between posts but I just joined). I'm not in the JAA training so I cant give you the specifics, but I can tell you about the school.

MFC is a really great school, can't compare it to others because I haven't been to others, but here in Canada it has a very good reputation. It's been around since 1929 and I see no reason for it to close so there should be no worries that you could lose your money to the closure of a flight school. It's run with the attitude of a professional airline, but at the same time, everyone is very friendly and willing to help you in any way that they can. It is a busy school (which is why you may find some of the info on the website a bit out of date). The school does hinge around safety, which to a student may seem ridiculous sometimes, but there are good reasons for it. All of the maintenance is done by the schools AME's (some of them possess PPL's), so no shoddy work.

There are 14 DA20's, 6 C-172's, 2 PA-44's, and soon to be a King Air 90, but that will be for BUAA (Chinese) students:( only (as far as I know).
Another benefit is the weather. While it may be annoying and wacky at some times (snowing now), it is a good training experience to not have sun 364 days of the year.
I should probably stop now :O, but there is so much to say.

:ok::ok:Overall, great school:ok::ok:.

Any questions don't hesitate to ask me or e-mail Max (JAA Program Manager) at [email protected] or check out MFC's site

Hairdo

PS. you'll also be getting JAA training, which i assume is what you want, not other training/licenses which then have to be converted. oh yeah, the training costs are considerably less here because MFC is a not for profit school:)

Hairdo
13th Apr 2007, 17:35
Umm, looks like i should have read further posts Commander1:ugh:.
I see that you have said that you were keeping your options open. You could get your canadian license, there are a good deal of jobs, especially instructing at MFC (almost guaranteed a job instructing (as PIC) within a month, although it isn't unheard of to have instructors walk out of training and into a flying job here). from there prospects are very good but it's all in where and what you want to do.

hairdo

Hairdo
13th Apr 2007, 23:58
Oh yeah, I forgot that MFC also has a Bellanca Citabria that is used for tailwheel checkouts, upset training, and aerobatic training.

Hairdo

Life's a Beech
15th Apr 2007, 07:44
you're comparing apples to oranges - modular to ab initio.No, assuming you mean "modular to integrated" (both modular and integrated courses can be taken ab initio, so the comparison you suggest is meaningless), that would be like comparing oranges you have to peel yourself and oranges you have paid someone to peel. You get the same result, just with slightly less effort.

mustflywillfly
20th Apr 2007, 12:20
Ladies and Chaps,

I could do the CPL/IR/MCC in Bournemouth for under £30k (I have a PPL) but could do it much cheaper abroad.

Are the savings made by completing the training abroad worth it?

Are there any schools abroad whose grads regularly find work in the UK?

At the mo, looks like BCFT is winning my vote...

Your thoughts and comments would be useful.

Thanks

MFWF

Superpilot
20th Apr 2007, 13:41
Your subject title asks for ‘Well Respected Training Schools Abroad’. Apart from a couple of famous schools in Spain and probably one in Greece the rest are obviously going to be in the US. It is my opinion that the vast majority of US training schools are seen as unprofessional and sausage-factory like by most UK based recruiters.

To be honest, in a lot of cases US flight schools are unprofessional and sausage-factory like but I’m not going to say all are. The savings (after conversion, accommodation, and all other expenses) are probably not going to be more than £5k. I am personally spending the extra £5k because the UK is where I wish to fly (so I may as well train here) and I don't want to risk any bias against me (because someone somewhere will). Top $ for you £ right now though, so it's not an easy choice! :\

ob74
20th Apr 2007, 15:35
yes and oxford and cabair integrated schools do most of their flying where????? you guessed it = good old USA, why because its cheaper = more profit!!!!!!!!!!:yuk:

ken0311
24th Apr 2007, 03:49
First of all I'm new here so if there is a sticky somewhere in this forum regarding flight school recommendations, I apologise.:p

I plan to take a course all the way to ATPL (Frozen) however I already hold a PPL(A) with CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) in Australia with valid aviation medicals.

Do I need to take the JAA PPL course or is there some sort of exams that I can take to convert my license.

And can anyone recommend flight schools in CA or in FL or even NV?

Thanks in advance guys!:ok:

babotika
1st May 2007, 06:13
Greets,

First of all I apologise if this question has already been asked, but I couldn't find a relevant thread.

I'm currently flying in Canada and have passed all the exams for CPL, including flight test, but I don't want to live here much longer.
I am looking getting a JAA ATPL (plus IR of course) in the UK, then looking for a job in Europe. I have 160 hours so my CPL isn't 'validated' yet, however I don't want to go on flying here.

I visited Cabair EGHH and OAT, both places look nice and can provide what I need, but I still don't know how desirable (for lack of a better word) I would be for a EU airline compared to someone who took an integrated course. Basically have I missed the plane, or is there a place for pilots who start flying abroad?

Also are there other places I should be looking at that are in good standing with airlines that can provide the ATPL theory and an IR?

Thanks in advance for your answers,

S.

Markos.
6th May 2007, 12:00
Hi there,

This is my first post and I'd like to introduce myself a little bit.
I'm a spanish student, currently living in Spain and looking for the possibilities of training as a professional pilot that I've.

These possibilities are:
- Studying in Spain, get the license in 2 years, then unemploymen because there are 4000 pilots active pilots looking for a job only here in Spain.
-Studying in Cathay Pacific, main problem is getting the permanent residencial allowance.
-Studying in Embry Riddle(4 years and too much money without job guarantees)
-Studying in Sierra Academy, I heard good opinions about it.
-Studying in any american school and then move for the CPL to Embry Riddle.
-Studying this summer the PPL in McAir Aviation(Denver) and start next year the rest of the training having the PPL.

Which option would you consider?

Other problem is that if I studie this summer in Denver, I won't be able to fly in Spain with my license and therefore I won't comply with the minium flight time and touches&goes to keep the license active.
Or, what about converting my PPL license form American to ICAO?

Thank you a lot, keep the good job of this big community up!

Dick Whittingham
7th May 2007, 20:47
Oye, Markos,

Debes pensar de un curso teorico a distancia con una escuela inglesa, mientras que haces tu horas de vuelo en los EEUU. Al fin, tendras una licencia JAA, lo que te dara muchas oportunidades de trabajo en Europa. Creo que, aparte de Francia y Espana los paises de EU aceptan la licencia JAA sin problemas, y sobre todo el mercado en Inglaterra sigue muy abierto.

ciao

Dick W

ccopter
8th May 2007, 02:41
I have some experience of bournemouth flight training and i would go carefully there - PM me if you want further info.

Vitting
10th May 2007, 09:58
Hi there...

I’m new to this forum and in desperate need of help... I want to start on an integrated course this summer and I’ve found to schools that I find appealing one (NEAR/NIAI) offers both FAA and JAA license and a lot of hours as a flight instructor, while the other, a Danish school, offers a 737 or similar type-rating.
So which way is the best way to go, type-rating or a lot of hours when you want to fly commercial jets?

Cheers,
Vitting

ivehad2many
10th May 2007, 18:46
with regards to ccopters post i dunno what happened there?!

i started my PPL with the company when i was 14. they have done nothing but help in everyway and since i have completed

Residential ATPL Groundschool
Hour Building
CPL
Multi
Multi IR
MCC
FIC

there... i cant say ive ever had a problem at all and am more than happy to answer any questions you have. more than welcome to pm me as well

Turbine King
10th May 2007, 19:28
ccopter

Who are Bournemouth Flight Training?

My school recommends a certain Bournemouth school
Now I am confused as to who is at Bournemouth

ivehad2many
11th May 2007, 13:03
i have been refering to Bournemouth Commercial Flight Training www.bcft.org.uk (http://www.bcft.org.uk) :)

bobster1
11th May 2007, 15:30
I have to agree with ivehad2many..I have just finished ATPL ground school
with BCFT...and from what I have seen over the 7 months I was there for, people were progressing rapidly thru cpl and ir courses and high pass rate to..
The flying side there is profesionaly run..by mostly experienced retired and current airline pilots..who want people to go thru as quickly and cheaply as possible..
ccopter must have just been a rare unlucky one..

Flying Rubble
13th May 2007, 23:17
Thought I would get this discussion going again! :O

I am currently working full time, sadly not in aviation, but am looking at continuing work full time while doing my ATPL. Does anyone know if this is possible?Threads I look at before say ground school is possible but hard but what about the flight training??

In terms of schools:

I am looking at Ground school choices:

OAT
Bristol
London Met

Any advice on these would be great!

As for flying training I think Oxford would be all well and good but its just too damn pricy for me! Unless its worth the extra £10k or so? I doubt it though...

So for flying training I am looking at

Stapleford
Bornemouth
Wycombe

Prices for these seem to be a little better but does anyone know anything about these schools for flight training? Or indeed any better ones?

A view in terms of quality of training and job prospects after would be great!

I have done searches on my searches but the "Which school" decision is driving me mental :ugh:

Any help/ advice appreciated!!

FR!

Flyingnick007
13th May 2007, 23:35
I currently have a PPL looking to go commercial; I am just completing a degree in Economics. Which flying school would you say offers the best training regardless of how much it costs?

cosworth211
13th May 2007, 23:48
I have trained in the US, UK and Spain, and to help you narrow your choice IMO by far the best quality of JAA training and the schools of the highest standard are UK based.

Cheers

Token Bird
14th May 2007, 08:03
No-one is going to be able to answer that question as each person will only have first hand knowledge of the school they themselves trained at, so you'll just end up with a bunch of people all claiming their school was best,

TB

dartagnan
14th May 2007, 10:04
the best flight school is your local pub!!!don't tell it, it is a secret!:oh:

ZuluWhiskey
14th May 2007, 18:35
Nick, looking at each school's first time pass rates would probably be the best way to determine which FTO is considered best. I haven't done this nor am I planning on doing it either, but just through talking to people in the industry and looking on our trusty forum here, for modular, it seems that Bristol Flight centre and Airways in Exeter rank pretty highly for first time pass rates. And before people jump on me, I haven't looked at every school in the land but this is just my general observation. I know that there are other excellent ones out there and if you got a ftp at school x this will probably be the best in your opinion.

Does anyone know if such a summary of UK FTO's first time pass rates actually exists anywhere?

Hope that helps

ZW

eng1
17th May 2007, 21:45
I'm sorry if this is a heavily repeated thread but I am after the advice of you all as to which is the best training establishment in the country?
I have been to Oxford and found it very profesional and friendly, I have heard that Cab-air may be a safe bet as well. Also which training school has the best reputation?
Many thanks in advance for your input. :)

Mohit_C
24th May 2007, 18:57
I am in a state of confusion where I should do my ATPL here at Aerodynamics-Málaga near where I live or in the States at this school called Florida Aviation. I know that in the States, well at least I've heard, there's a higher scope of jobs but then on the same side I know that you have to actually get 1500 hours to get into the mayor airlines, whereas in Spain some airlines can take a cadet with around 200 hours.
From the information I received I also found out that in that school it's cheaper than the one in Spain. Apart from that, in the states I would have to get my own accommodation, meals, health care, etc... which could turn it to be more costly than here. There also is a chance of scholarship there, which I don't understand how it works.
I need to make a decision pretty soon as time is running out. Can someone advise me where should I go, or where would they go, why and whether scholarship is easy for an international student to achieve?

Thanks a lot.

Lancedutton
4th Jun 2007, 22:36
Hi

After having just finished my CPL and IR at BCFT in Bournemouth I would strongly NOT recommend Cabair.

Most of their students are so unhappy as they fly very rarley - they take forever to complete any course which is why thay are mostly at my school finishing their courses or trying to join my school but cannot as they are 'tied' in, the managment are apawling. We chat to them frequently at the Curley Pub whilst drowning their sorrows.

I did my ATPL subjects at Oxford where the teachers are great and the rest of the school sucks. Much like Cabair. Go somewhere smaller, cheaper and more personal. The small schools have students going to all the usual Airlines that the BIG schools claim to have a monopoly on.

Exeter apparantly produces fabulous pilots are so does CTC according to a CAA examiner I spoke to.

Take a few days and drive to the schools and chat to them and their students and try and get the feel for the place. Search the threads here with the schools name and see how much flak they have attracted.

There is no one correct decision. Make yours the right one. I hope this helps you.

Stillwaiting
7th Jun 2007, 10:40
I'd happily reccomend cabair modular, I was happy from start to finish as I felt I gained valuble "grated" experience for the price and flexibillity of a "mod" course. It also provided me with the chance to build hours in the USA.