PDA

View Full Version : Permission to enter MATZ

Humaround
27th Jun 2006, 12:34
Hi
This happened to me twice last week flying between Worcs and the IOW.
I call up a MATZ, pass my message as requested, including "...and request MATZ transit (detail of where, stub etc).
I'm offered FIS, all the usual, no mention of MATZ transit. Fine, I expect they will get back to me when I'm a bit closer. They don't. I say "...about to enter MATZ". Still no response, and they're not too busy.
When this happened on the way home as well, I started wondering if it's normal? Is there some reason why they did not respond to the request? I am aware that I'm not obliged to get permission, but it seems odd to just ignore it if I ask.

AlanM
27th Jun 2006, 13:30
It is a bit of a surprise not to get the crossing clearance (Benson Perhaps?!) but they know full well that if they say NO you can plough through anyway.

OpenCirrus619
27th Jun 2006, 13:43
Bear in mind they are also working Military (UHF) frequencies. The fact it all sounds quiet on their VHF frequency does not mean they aren't rushed off their feet.

OC619

Mariner9
27th Jun 2006, 15:27
Worcs to IOW - surely Boscombe Down or Middle Wallop :confused:
On reflection could have been Fairford. If so, the MATZ is only activated by Notam, maybe it was inactive?

englishal
27th Jun 2006, 15:59
If I were talking to them, I'd be inclined to just go through anyway and not lose any sleep over it, especially if sqwarking.

littco
27th Jun 2006, 16:18
As a few others have pointed out , you don't need a clearance for a matz penetration, you can sail through if you wish. I think common curtsy prevails you at least ask them and if you are Squawking a designated code then I am sure they have an eye on you.

I've had this a couple of times in requesting a Matz penetration with no reply, passed through and then was handed off by the Matz controller with out any complaint. I know the feeling though of being a bit unsure especially if you're flying an airfield with jets.

In all honesty though if you ask once and then call up to confirm and still get no answer then you should be able to pass over head, but there's the old addage of never assuming! i guess it would be nice and certainly, reassuring to get a clearance but they are unfortunately not always forth coming!

stillin1
27th Jun 2006, 16:20
The MATZ issue has been done quite a lot previously.
However, if you believe the airfield to whom the MATZ belongs is active, choosing to ignore it and blunder through (cos the letter of the law says you can) = you are an accident looking for a place to happen.:ugh: It is just bloody awful airmanship, the fast metal can, and will often be whizzin about in the MATZ in the belief that there is no uncalled "crossing" traffic. We (I am a FJ driver as well as an avid GA driver) can't look everywhere, are often near the limits of performance (simulating emergency procedures / configurations). Bottom line - why push it? You do not say which MATZ so I can not know if going around / over was an issue. Normally it ain't
Why ATC did not cater for your request - no idea mate

Keep it safe:ok:

Lister Noble
27th Jun 2006, 17:53
Being a very low hours new pilot I have only done a few MATZ, but always include permission for MATZ penetration in my first call.
eg "Lakenheath,G-ABCD request MATZ penetration."
I've had excellent responses from the US military bases, but variable response from the others!
I believe the UK military bases only work weekdays?
Lister;)

gasax
27th Jun 2006, 18:44
As I recall the offical phraselogy is to ask for MATZ penetration at the opening call. My 2 local MATZ's also offer LARS and so they tend to be more intererested in the usual CARPACER type of call (as you would expect).

In recent years I've either had the full 'pass your details' or 'permission denied, cleared to transit at or above 3000,, which is to put it mildly bull*hit!

Out of the recent transits probably only 20% have had the expected response - 'G-**** you are cleared MATZ penetration...'

It is the way it is! A couple of times I've been unable to make 3000' feet and said I am tranisting the MATZ after clearance has been refused. If they had quick response fighters the controller would have fired them up! However a single Bulldog aerobatting over the aerodrome does not actually require all that much space..... Let alone motogliders....

The bottom line is that MATZ have a lower level of protection (for good justification). Approach one when its close to lunch or teatime and expect grey machines at high speeds. For the majority of the rest of the time they are quiet places. Remind the controller of your MATZ penetration request and carry on if they do not respond. Radio is supposed to be an aid - so tell them what you want, if they don't give it - tell they what you're doing (you are after all entitled to do it..).

To be fair the local units are quite good, but MATZ transit at 3000'?????

Aviate and then communicate. If you tell them what you are going to do then everyone is aware. If you don't but transit anyway then radar and the rest will enable them to sort it out - but far better you just tell them. And do critically remember that while MATZ penetration is OK without permission ATZ is NOT.
If they are recovering 6 Jaguars I'm more than happy to give them space. If they are reading the Sunday Mail - I'm transiting!

SAR Bloke
27th Jun 2006, 19:14
I am dismayed at the attitude of some people in this forum.

Are you legally entitled to transit a MATZ without clearance? yes.

Is it a sensible thing to do if you have been refused? NO.

How do you know what is going on inside the MATZ? Are you trying to suggest you know more about the current activity than the controller? Bearing in mind that a large proportion of radio traffic is on UHF frequencies that the majority of GA aircraft can't hear.

If you are in a MATZ and you have an airmiss, do you honestly think that the investigation would simply come to the conclusion 'but he was legally allowed to be there' especially if ATC had advised him to stay away?

If you can't comply with the instruction to transit at 3000' (and other than cloudbase I can't understand why that would be an issue) then simply let the controller know you are unable to comply and they will do their best to help you out.

Oh, and don't forget (as gasax mentions) there is still an ATZ that you ARE legally obliged to avoid.

Humaround
27th Jun 2006, 20:51
Thanks for this useful discussion.

It was Boscombe (North to South through the west stub, then the next day South to North, east of Middle Wallop - both times I was well outside the ATZ's.)

I wouldn't have carried on through the MATZ if I had been refused entry - could have gone round - but ATC didn't refuse, just gave no reply to my request. I did ask at the opening contact - "Boscombe Down - G-**** request FIS and MATZ transit..." then in my CARPACER I asked for MATZ transit again.

Just a bit surprised... as Opencirrus pointed out, they may have been busy on another Freq. Certainly I could see no traffic around the airfields.

Flybywyre
27th Jun 2006, 21:17
Are you legally entitled to transit a MATZ without clearance? yes.
Is it a sensible thing to do if you have been refused? NO.

You can't be refused transit of a MATZ so if they don't answer then carry on. HOWEVER, if the controller requests that he would like you to take an alternative route for whatever reason then yes it would be sensible and good airmanship to oblige.

Jucky
27th Jun 2006, 21:34
Oh, and don't forget (as gasax mentions) there is still an ATZ that you ARE legally obliged to avoid.

I agree with SAR Bloke anyone who just cracks on through a MATZ without clearance is foolish and displays poor airmanship to say the least! If you are in any doubt there is no doubt, just ask the controller if you have been cleared to penetrate the MATZ.
As for an ATZ at a military airfield, it still dismays me the number of people who just crack on through a military ATZ at weekends without talking to anybody. Rembember the ATZ at a military aerodrome is still afforded the same rights as a Civillian ATZ and most are H24. It may not be penetrated without permission from ATC even if the airfield is closed. A lot military airfields have gliding clubs and flying clubs that have quite a lot of activity during the weekend, not to mention check test flights and military aircraft that may also be arriving or departing outside normal opening hours. But still civillian aircraft still continue to penetrate the ATZ without letting anyone know. Even if you contact ATC and get no reply at a weekend you maybe well within your rights to penetrate the MATZ without permission, but not the ATZ.

Regards,

Jucky

Gertrude the Wombat
27th Jun 2006, 21:59
If you are in any doubt there is no doubt, just ask the controller if you have been cleared to penetrate the MATZ.

Ah, yes, but, what when you can't understand the answer because it isn't in English??

(After several "please say again" requests, all of which are followed by a completely and totally and utterly impenetrable American accent, there is a very real temptation to just tell them what you're intending to do and then carry on through the MATZ. Particularly if you have just about managed to parse a four digit octal number from something they said earlier and dialled it into the transponder.)

Flybywyre
27th Jun 2006, 22:22
Here is an interesting article from the Autumn 2005 edition of CHIRP
minutes before the zone boundary, requested MATZ penetration and received a squawk. With approximately 3 minutes to run to the zone boundary I was notified of my position, but given no clearance. I asked "do I have clearance" and was told to "stand by". As I approached the zone boundary, again I requested clearance and again was told to "stand by". Though not required by law to avoid the stub, as I had asked for a clearance and not received one, I elected to fly around the zone. Once on the other side, I called BBB and made it clear that I was still "standing by" and in the meantime had flown all around the perimeter of the zone. Whilst listening, I heard another pilot who was also obviously disgruntled at not receiving a clearance.
Once back on the ground I telephoned the watch manager who had been on duty. I asked if I had made any type of mistake that had caused him not to give me the requested clearance. He was very polite, told me that I had not made a mistake, said that he had seen me skirt his zone, obviously remembered my final call, but that he had "handled around 1000 calls" in the two hour watch period and was "too busy" to give a clearance. When I said that I had not wished to enter his zone without clearance and would like to know what to do in future, he said "contact me and squawk as instructed, then cross the zone (with no clearance) and I will let you know if there is anything big about to hit you, in any event don't transit my ATZ".
Having subsequently discussed this scenario with another senior Air Traffic Officer, he said that under the circumstances the only possible instruction to give is "stand by". Clearly the situation is unsatisfactory and needs sorting out, but in the mean time, it appears that in this situation, "stand by" should be interpreted as "continue at your own discretion", perhaps CAP 413 should explain this.
CHIRP Comment: The reporter complied with the recommendation that pilots request clearance to penetrate a MATZ when at least 15nm or five minutes flying time from the boundary.
The ATC instruction “Standby” means “Wait, I will call you”; no clearance should be assumed (CAP413 Chapter 2, Paragraph 1.6, refers).
As the reporter notes, pilots are permitted to penetrate a MATZ without clearance, providing this does not violate the ATZ in the centre of the MATZ (AIP ENR 2.2 Para. 1.3); in such a case it is good airmanship to state clearly to the ATSU controlling the MATZ in a timely manner of your intention to proceed.
The views of CAA and MOD on the adequacy of the present procedure are being sought.

Leezyjet
28th Jun 2006, 00:12
As an SA PPL i'm not too familier with MATZ transits - only done 1 or 2 but it seems a pretty silly and dangerous rule to me that if they refuse you can still bimble through.

:\

Stripholderloader
28th Jun 2006, 07:21
That's just the point, they can't refuse you so it does beg the question why ask in the first place ?

Mike Cross
28th Jun 2006, 07:46
For the same reason that it is sensible to talk to an a/g operator or an AFISO (they cannot issue "instructions" either").

drauk
28th Jun 2006, 08:17
Personally I think there is a big difference between a clearance being explicitly denied and just not receiving one. To enter the zone when a clearance has been denied (even in light of the fact that it can't be) to me constitutes bad airmanship. To enter the zone when a clearance hasn't been granted or denied is more of a judgment call and is far more acceptable to me.

dublinpilot
28th Jun 2006, 08:20
As an Irish pilot who has yet to transit a MATZ in the UK, I'm not very familiar with them either.

Are pilots routienly thought to request a clearance for this, even though a clearance can't be given?

Under the circumstances would it not make more sense to state your intended transit route, and to request information on any known traffic in the area rather than to request a clearance?

dp

EastMids
28th Jun 2006, 09:09
Clearly, it would be unwise to enter a MATZ without contacting the controlling authority (although I would do so when there is no response from the controlling authority) and even more unwise to carry on through a MATZ when told not do so.

However, the phaseology for MATZ transits is a load of nonsense. Legally, how can something that it is not required to be asked for be denied? What is the point of making a formal request (in the litteral term) for something which we are not required to ask for?

Some of us get excitable on the forums about the FISO or A/G operators who start issuing clearances, even about the GA pilots who asks for instructions at such airfields. The rules and procedures for FISOs, A/G operators and pilots at such airfields are clear (despite some not understaning them!) for good reason. MATZ needs sorting out in the same way, to make responsibilities and authorities clear on both sides (controller AND pilot) by either:

1. Making transit requests mandatory, and approved penetration and crossing subject to positive control
or
2. Doing away with the concept of a MATZ transit "request", and turning it into a LARS-type service where pilots report their intentions (including intent either directly or by implication to cross a MATZ) and then the controller passes information about potential conflicting traffic and leaves pilots to sort their seperation out

Andy

Stripholderloader
28th Jun 2006, 09:27
Agree entirely with Eastmids :ok:
However
For the same reason that it is sensible to talk to an a/g operator or an AFISO (they cannot issue "instructions" either").
It depends what you want to "talk" to them about. A good analogy with asking for a MATZ clearance would be asking an a/g operator or a FISO for a RAS. It just isn't sensible ..............

Mike Cross
28th Jun 2006, 10:04
Stripholderloader
As you appear to be in the ATC profession I'll forgive you.:ugh:
Perhaps an example would enable you to understand my point.
To put it simply:-
Popham has no ATZ, lies in Class G, and has only a/g radio. It does however get busy, and at the last Microlight Trade Fair handled over 500 movements in one day.
Legally you could fly through the overhead at 1500 feet without speaking to anyone. It would however not be a good idea to do so.
Your post saidThat's just the point, they can't refuse you so it does beg the question why ask in the first place ?
In answer to your question is, as I said in my post, because it is sensible to do so.
I agree with you that it's not sensible to ask someone for a service they cannot provide (such as asking those nice chaps at Swanwick who man London Information for a RIS, to get your car serviced, or to order you a takeaway curry). However an AFISO or a/g operator can give you traffic information and it would be a good idea to avail yourself of his services, just as it's a good idea to make use of the services available for a MATZ transit.

Mike

Stripholderloader
28th Jun 2006, 10:29
Unfortunately Mike you seem to have missed the point :ugh:
"services available for a MATZ transit"

You may be receiving a service from the controling unit but the subject in question is a "clearance".
Regards
SHL

Mike Cross
28th Jun 2006, 11:30
Stripholderloader
Quite agree there's no point in asking for a clearance when such a thing does not exist. However since neither your post nor mine mentions the word "clearance" what point is it you think I'm missing?:ugh: :ugh:
AIC9/2001 (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4Y039.PDF) contains the procedure.
It states that "The service will, whenever possible, be based on radar observations and either a Radar Advisory or Radar Information Service will be given."
East Mids
The receipt of a RIS or RAS outside of CAS does not REQUIRE the pilot to comply with advice given, even though in the case of a RAS the advice is passed in the form of an instruction. The fact that the service is being given to an aircraft within a MATZ but outside the ATZ makes no difference to the tems under which it is given compared with any other uncontrolled airspace. (MATS Part1 Chapter 5 sections 1.4 and 1.5 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP493Part1_28April06.pdf) have the details.)

Mike

Stripholderloader
28th Jun 2006, 13:24
Mike......
However since neither your post nor mine mentions the word "clearance" what point is it you think I'm missing?
I'll tell you what point you are missing................
The point of this thread :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:
Suggest you start from the top again to remind yourself what it is all about
Regards
SHL

Mike Cross
28th Jun 2006, 15:48
OK, I'll rephrase my question:-

However since neither the original question, your post, nor mine mentions the word "clearance" what point is it you think I'm missing?

Or is "the point of this thread" something other than the original question in the parallel universe that seems to be lurking somewhere just out of my reach?

Mike

Whirlybird
28th Jun 2006, 16:35
Oh for goodness sake, guys. :ugh: :ugh:

Usually, when asking for MATZ penetration, at some point you will be told "MATZ penetration approved". If they don't tell you, I'd be inclined to ask again, or just tell them I'm now inside their MATZ. It's polite, it's sensible, and it reminds them. Legally, it doesn't matter one way or the other. But a MATZ is a busy area, with busy controllers, so it's one place where common sense should prevail.

Perhaps that should be the case on this thread too. :ugh:

BitMoreRightRudder
28th Jun 2006, 18:12
Just to add another haystack to the discussion, when I did my CPL (not all that long ago) it was considered a big no-no to transit a matz without "clearance". To do so constituted a fail of the nav section, so I'm guessing that the CAA are a bit twitchy on the issue.

And another thing...

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Well everyone else is doing it:E

Hampshire Hog
29th Jun 2006, 11:47
I was interested to read that the incident that sparked this thread involved Boscombe. I too have had to call them for confirmation that they were happy for me to enter the MATZ. They seemed surprised. I agree with Whirly, at least one reminder call is probably appropriate - you did ask for MATZ penetration in the first place, whatever the legal position.

Actions after that depend on the MATZ - a little local knowledge can help. For example, I would probably carry on through the stub of the Boscombe MATZ, but wouldn't dream of ploughing on through the Farnborough MATZ without at least knowing they were watching me and that we in contact - even if a specific clearance had not been given.

Personally though, I find the different procedures applied by different MATZ controllers rather confusing.

HH

Fuji Abound
29th Jun 2006, 12:36
Just a thought, I always wonder why Farnborough is referred to as a MATZ :confused: in the true meaning.

Of course it was once military, but presumably it is a very long time since it has had any regular military traffic?

BEagle
29th Jun 2006, 12:53
Personally I advise the MATZ 'controller' that the route of my flight will take me through their MATZ, but I will remain clear of their ATZ.....

Many years ago, Benson were infamous for overcontrolling their MATZ. Even for military aircraft! Several times I overflew them at 3050 ft QFE in one of HM's Bulldogs from Abingdon as a consequence - and watched a single Corgi-carrier potter into the circuit.

But Brize, which does NOT have a MATZ but has a Class D CTR, once tried to order me not to fly above FL60 through their 'overhead' - I'd only called them to help them with traffic ientification/avoidance. The Brize CTR has an upper limit of 3500 ft QNH! So I told them that I was continuing my climb to FL100 (the exercise was high-rot spinning which had a mandatory FL100 entry), would squawk 7000 and continue VFR.....

Either controllers recognise legitimate VFR rights or they can expect to be ignored in future!

rustle
29th Jun 2006, 12:58
Just a thought, I always wonder why Farnborough is referred to as a MATZ :confused: in the true meaning.

Of course it was once military, but presumably it is a very long time since it has had any regular military traffic?

It isn't. :ugh:

Odiham has a MATZ, and is "looked after" by Farnboro

Farnboro has an ATZ, and for a few weeks every 2 years a TRA :8

Fuji Abound
29th Jun 2006, 13:49
Rustle - I know (it isnt).

.. .. .. but I suspect HH didnt!

tmmorris
29th Jun 2006, 15:01
BEags,

I've had that with Brize before - once told me to route around instead of clearing me through, too, at which I merely responded 'Negative, climbing FL40...'

But then I have a friend, also a pilot, who routinely refers to the 'Brize MATZ', which worries me. I have explained the difference...

Tim

Windrusher
29th Jun 2006, 16:54
Hmmm. I too have shared Humaround and Hampshire Hog's experience with Boscombe.
Notwithstanding many valid points made already, the practical situation is the following. Boscombe and Middle Wallop share a CMATZ which finishes a couple of miles from the Solent CTA - itself infamous for refusing GA crossing requests. It's a *long* way round to the north, what with Thruxton, Netheravon and a stack of danger areas over Salisbury Plain ... so there's a lot of light aviation traffic in the area.
If a MATZ penetration isn't given (or, as here, isn't even refused), then pilots are distracted in a region of high traffic convergence. If they *are* given penetration clearance, then the instruction will be to 'report Chilbolton' (and then Alderbury), which puts them within a mile of all the traffic that is squeezing through the free airspace to the south, or which has decided at the last minute to skirt around the MATZ having failed to obtain a clearance.
I'm sure it's nice and safe for controlled traffic within the MATZ and Solent CTA, but the penalty is confusion and distraction for any GA traffic trying to pass through a 2 mile corridor that's the only gap between Portsmouth and Warminster!
[As far as I can tell - and I live in Chilbolton - there's precious little activity at Middle Wallop, so it's just a pity that the military can't reduce the CMATZ to a MATZ around Boscombe, which need's it, and a standard ATZ over Middle Wallop.]
Windrusher

breakscrew
30th Jun 2006, 07:14
Windrusher,
Wallop is an extremely busy airfield, and so your comment is misplaced. They have in excess of 65,000 movements per year. Perhaps the reason you do not see much activity around Chilbolton could have something to do with them being neighbourly and avoiding the airstrip there, plus the huge satellite telescope which is an avoid, and that their radar approach lane is nearby and their VFR traffic tries to avoid that. You may have noticed that their stub is there (a clue if any was needed). Also they are a 'military' airfield, and so they have a 'military' air traffic zone!

Windrusher
30th Jun 2006, 07:44
Fair enough: can only comment that they must be keeping most of those 65,000 movements away from the stub, which runs almost directly over the village! Jolly decent of them.

I wonder how many GA movements there are down the narrow patch of airspace outside the MATZ, though...

Windrusher

Flybywyre
30th Jun 2006, 11:50
finishes a couple of miles from the Solent CTA - itself infamous for refusing GA crossing requests.
I take issue with that statement, I have always found Solent to be a helpful and GA friendly unit.
FBW

mm_flynn
30th Jun 2006, 12:02
Windrusher,
Wallop is an extremely busy airfield, and so your comment is misplaced. They have in excess of 65,000 movements per year. !
Which is pretty good going considering the space Southampton need for 27,000 movements

Windrusher
30th Jun 2006, 12:57
I have always found Solent to be a helpful and GA friendly unit.
FBW
Friendly perhaps, but often too busy to allow a class D transit across the New Forest.

I certainly don't mean to criticize individual controllers (and would single out Southampton for praise), but simply point out that the growth of class D airspace around regional airports, coupled with the MATZs around military airfields, results in a concentration of GA in areas such as Hampshire.

For class D airspace, the 'official' line is that you can request and, by implication, usually be granted transit clearance; the letter seeking comments about the proposed airspace around Coventry certainly based its claim on the assertion that GA would still generally be able to transit the area. While there's nothing legally stopping you entering a MATZ, good practice means that, for GA pilots, it is in this respect essentially the same. But for both MATZs and class D, this is often not the case: entry clearance is commonly refused, and overall it has a big effect upon light aviation. When the clearance/refusal is delayed or confused, this merely adds to the problem.

For individual controllers, this is doubtless the result of workload; but that means that it is incumbent upon the relevant authorities to provide adequate staffing to handle both controlled movements and GA crossings.

Unless there are a lot of stealth aircraft at Middle Wallop, the reason it has a MATZ is because that's the shape of the stencil, not because its traffic needs it. And that's fair enough ... except that, in the meantime, the Solent CTA has extended to within 2 miles of it. I'm just outlining the problem, and leave it to folk smarter than me to propose a solution.

Windrusher

airborne_artist
30th Jun 2006, 13:14
Breakscrew wrote They [Wallop] have in excess of 65,000 movements per year.

I think you have too many zeros in there - 65,000 pa equates to nearly 19 movements per hour per 10 hour day for 350 days. I'm not sure that the locals would be too happy with that amount of activity, nor would Gordon be too keen on the resulting fuel bill.

Would you care to check? :}

Mike Cross
1st Jul 2006, 09:15
Transitted the Wallop MATZ yesterday lunchtime en route Popham to Compton Abbas.

Boscombe was fairly busy but no problem. "Report Crossing the A34" "Report passsing Chilbolton" "Report at Alderbury" "Report Compton Abbas in sight"

No transponder, no problem, just a request for a transmit for VDF.

Nary a sign of any other traffic (or maybe I need my prescription checked)

Mike

BEagle
1st Jul 2006, 09:33
Hairy Arm Corps flying on a Friday afternoon....

Oh purrleeeze.

Mike Cross
1st Jul 2006, 11:40
.....and Wednesdays is sports day

breakscrew
4th Jul 2006, 13:44
Airborne artist,
Just turn up one evening and watch the night flying - often 30 aircraft departing and arriving in an hour, and they night fly mon-thu nights and occasionally on fridays too. The normal day starts at 0800 and fininshes at 1800 (10 hr day) before the night flying which can last 4 or 5 hours. 65,000 movements is pretty slow going. Oh, and and locals can testify that they also fly weekends despite cynical groanings from beagle.
BS

breakscrew
4th Jul 2006, 15:57
WR,
The Boscombe and Middle Wallop MATZ's are a 'combined' MATZ with the BD controllers having primacy when BD is open, and MW controlling the combined MATZ only when they are open and BD are closed. So if you were talking to BD, then 'de facto' you were claered through the MW MATZ as well. Having said that, if you are routing only through the MW MATZ, such as those who are inbound to Thruxton from the Solent direction, or routing Popham to the South West, then there is no need to talk to BD and a call to MW will suffice.

Mike Cross
4th Jul 2006, 16:00
They'd have a job to do so as they don't control it;)
It's a CMATZ controlled by Boscombe. Yes he did give me "clearance" but by then I was inside the MATZ anyway. I believe the words were "You are cleared to transit". Since I don't need his clearance to enter anyway that's not a problem. While it's technically incorrect it's at least an acknowledgement that he understands my intentions.

Since I had not asked for or been offered a Radar service I was responsible for my own separation. He didn't pass me any traffic info which I took to mean that he was not aware of any, but even if he had I would still have understood that I was responsible for my own lookout. He did ask me to transmit for VDF but didn't tell me I had been identified. The ridge that Porton Down sits on was between him and me so even if his primary radar was on I doubt I made a good target with no transponder at 2000 feet.

Mike

Mike Cross
4th Jul 2006, 21:17
Which is what I said: "I'd like to route through the south eastern part of the Wallop MATZ at 2000 ft"

Popham to the stub is a very short distance. I called as soon as I left the circuit but was in the stub before he gave "clearance". Had it been CAS I'd have had to stay outside until I got clearance, as it isn't I didn't.

No problem for him or me.

Mike