PDA

View Full Version : Age Of Applicants

gconatyuk
27th Jun 2006, 11:17
I am interested to know the average age of trainee ATCOs going through the college either with NATS or other agencies such as EUROCONTROL. I am hoping to apply to one of these organisations in a couple of years on completion of a distance learning A level course i am doing at the moment at which point i will be 23.

niknak
27th Jun 2006, 14:55
Why not apply now?
Although both organisations state formal educational requiremints, I've known people get into both NATS and Eurocontrol without A Levels, in both cases the applicants were doing exactly as you are.

gconatyuk
27th Jun 2006, 15:10
As far as i am aware the educational requirements are that you have completed the course through to examination level or are due to complete the examinations in the near future. With this in mind i intend to spend the next 12 months working towards completing these exams whilst researching the role of ATCO in order to better prepare me for an application. I am cocnerned as to the complexity of the entrance tests as i am not fully aware of what these tests invovle and how difficult they are.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Many thanks

Graham

anotherthing
27th Jun 2006, 17:52
I personally would do the A level course you have embarked on, then apply - if it all goes tits up, then you have some added qualifications to your bow.

Also, a bit of a generalisation; but you will be a bit more mature and the pressures of the course might be easier to handle..... It's more intense than most academic degrees etc, so anything to give you the edge... good luck

gconatyuk
27th Jun 2006, 18:23
Thank you for the comments, im trying to get an idea as to the assessment process at the moment in order to see whether or not i have a realistic chance of getting in when applying. I understand it is difficult but is it really as difficult as some people make it out to be?

Gonzo
27th Jun 2006, 18:36
I think the figure at the moment is around 1% of those who apply, get on the course.

Dances with Boffins
28th Jun 2006, 10:57
It can't be that difficult - look through these forums to see the kind of people who have passed the selection process [and the training]. :}
If that doesn't encourage you to apply...

gconatyuk
28th Jun 2006, 11:05
The more i think about it the more i want to apply sooner rather than later. At present i have more than the required GCSE grades to apply, however, i feel as though my application may be rejected due to the minimal amount of advanced study i have completed. This is as follows:

AS Business Studies and Economics
AS English Language
AS Chemistry (failed)
AS Physics (failed)

It doesn't look too good on paper but im now also undergoing AS Law and AS Psychology via distanc learning which i hope to take the first exams in January.

Does anyone know if i would be able to apply with my current status, or would i have to wait until i had completed the full A level course?

Many thanks

Graham

Gonzo
28th Jun 2006, 11:07
Why not ask NATS? :confused:

gconatyuk
28th Jun 2006, 11:22
Already tried that option but as with most large organisations they haven't been to swift in their response. :)

bad_at_radar
28th Jun 2006, 11:38
Why not just apply, whats the worst that can happen:)

Number2
28th Jun 2006, 12:28
'Why not just apply, whats the worst that can happen'

Hear, hear. If you are really that keen, you'd get the ball rolling instead of 'faffing' around on PPRuNe.

gconatyuk
28th Jun 2006, 23:36
This is rapidly becomming an issue for me, however, i have contacted NATS regarding my query on minimum qualification requirements prior to application and have not heard anything from them as of yet.

I have already completed an application online for NATS (in answer to the 'faffing around' comment), however, i wanted to try and clarify whether or not it is worth me submitting this application having only studied 4 AS levels and not obtaining the full A level.

A number of people have said 'apply, you have nothing to lose', but the way i see it is if i apply without having the necessary qualifications then that is one of my three opportunities to apply down the drain leaving me only two more attempts. It seems a bit of a waste when if i had found out prior to submitting the application i could have saved myself one of my three 'lives'.