PDA

View Full Version : Suggested courses for future (hopefully) TATC

RAF Nav-Aid Tech
27th Jun 2006, 09:54
I am due to leave the RAF in the next few months, and am currently awaiting feedback from the aptitude test day. :confused:

If I am successful, could anyone recommend any commercially available short courses that might come in handy before I start the NATS training.

As part of the RAF resettlement package, I am entitled to a maximum of 4 weeks training and a little over £500 towards costs.

I have no controlliong experience but did work as a technician on a military airfield for a few years so I have a fair understanding of day to day operations.

Thanks in advance and good luck to anyone else currently applying.

Dances with Boffins
28th Jun 2006, 11:05
Thatching was always popular in my day...

Seriously though, there isn't much you can do [apart from brush up your Maths and problem solving etc] to assist with NATS training. Just be prepared to learn lots of stuff, so if you are out of practise at learning, why not take a foreign language course? If you are okay at learning from books, find a course that will give you a skill if you [or NATS] decide that ATC isn't for you.
Computer networking?
Surfing instructor?
Driving Instructor?
Underwear model?

Whatever suits... Cooking is always useful!

Good Luck. You will find civvies are all work-shy and bloody useless at first, but eventually you will realise that actually they're a pretty okay bunch.

2Bsure2Bsure
28th Jun 2006, 11:19
Have you considered taking a few flying lessons. I found it very useful before I started training. You can find out what happens at a civilian airfield and practice speaking on the radio, which is quite daunting when you start. A couple of lessons should only set you back a few hundred pounds.

Number2
28th Jun 2006, 12:31
There were a couple of Mil guys at the College that used their resettlement for accommodation costs whilst they were at the College. Try that maybe.

RAF Nav-Aid Tech
28th Jun 2006, 16:59
All good suggestions, especially underwear model.

Providing I get accepted I will probably attempt some further Maths courses or flying lessons, good advice.

I'm supprised that the ex-military guys you mention were able to put money towards accommodation due to a list of well-worded resettlement rules but I might enquire further.

Thanks

Number2
28th Jun 2006, 17:06
One was from Uxbridge and they approved the accommodation costs. I think he got a pretty hefty sum. The course is a necessity for your new career and meets the requirements if you get the appropriate signature from the nice admin lady at HH.

Angrel
29th Jun 2006, 00:03
alternitavely you could have ya GRT off and be a man of leisure for a while! its brill i tells ya! anyhoo, see ya at the college!

RAF Nav-Aid Tech
29th Jun 2006, 12:02
see ya at the college!

fingers crossed

Number2
29th Jun 2006, 14:08
Personnally, I would have thought about 1000 notes towards your accommodation when the wage is only 10k at the College would be sensible. Maybe Angrel missed that one?!

Good luck either way.