PDA

View Full Version : Exam Confusion!

Seagull61
25th Jun 2006, 14:53
I've just been readin through the JAR-FCL 1 document, trying to find some info on the exams. Firstly i was surprised that they listed 9 subjects:

Airlaw & ATC Procedure
Aicraft General Knowledge
Flight Performing & Planning
Human Performance & Limitations
Meterology
Navigation
Operational Procedures
Principles of Flight
Communicaitons

I was always under the impression that there were 7 exams, so am i correct in assuming that Operational procedures is incorporated in the AirLaw exam, and Principles of Flight is part of the Aircraft General exam?

Also, i'd assumed you get 3 attempts at each and thats it.....yet there is no mention of this in the document....again if anyone knows the score that'll be great

Cheers

Confabulous
25th Jun 2006, 16:45
May be obvious to others, but which licence are you talking about? There's 6 writtens and an RT oral for the PPL and 14 writtens for the ATPL as far as I'm aware.

Seagull61
25th Jun 2006, 17:30
Yep...sorry about that.

I'm currently studying for my PPL, so it's those exams i'm interested in.

Just want clarification on how many and how many chances you get.

Cheers

Whirlygig
25th Jun 2006, 17:45
Might be different for helicopters but there is a written exam for the RT as well plus a written exam for the type of aircraft on which you are to be rated.

Flight planning and ops was put together.

Cheers

Whirls

bencoulthard
25th Jun 2006, 17:50
You get 3 attempts then you go to Gatwick to sit the 4th in UK. This is kept on your record. Not a good start to your PPL so study and do the exam when you are ready. My own woodwork teacher always said, measure twice, cut once.

Ben

LondonJ
25th Jun 2006, 18:13
there are 7 papers & 1 rt oral for the ppl

1. meterology
2. navigation
3. air law
4. flight planning & performance
5. human factors
6. R/T written*
7. Aircraft general

R/T oral*

*Not required for grant of ppl but obviously nearly everyone takes it

acuba 290
25th Jun 2006, 19:26
because u can't fly wothout RT License even if you own PPL...

Whirlygig
25th Jun 2006, 19:29
Yes, you can! You could have a passenger with you who has an RT licence and that passenger does all the talking!

Or, if you had your own strip in Glass G airspace, I don't think there is any requirement to talk to ATC.

Cheers

Whirls

Gertrude the Wombat
25th Jun 2006, 19:47
My own woodwork teacher always said...

My grandfather, who was a woodwork teacher amongst other things, started his lessons (he told me) by putting out a pot on the bench and telling the boys (girls got to do needlework only in those days) that this was the "finger pot", into which they should put their fingers when they chopped them off.

None of his boys ever lost a finger (even though in those days before the current culture of H&S nazis they had plenty of scope for doing so).

Hmm. How to apply this philosophy to flight training, I wonder ...?

Confabulous
25th Jun 2006, 23:03
Have a cup on the coaming, label it 'Willy Cup'. Point to it and say 'And this is where to put your willy if the prop chops it off.'

Simple!

(And they'll never go near a spinning prop either!)