PDA

View Full Version : question about application for PPL

pilotho
22nd Jun 2006, 16:22
ok everything sorted, RT test done, skills test done, goes about filling in the form...

anyway when it came to the hours column, it says that i should have at least 10 hrs solo and 5 hrs solo QXC.

i've done the solo times and it only comes to 7.3 hrs?!

thats with 3 hrs circuit consolidation and 3 nav trips

then the solo QXC only adds to 3, i am sure i am only need to do 1 solo QXC trip..

please someone enlighten me, i dont want to send the forms off only for everything to be returned

shortstripper
22nd Jun 2006, 17:24
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you do need to apply the minimums. However, well done on completing with less! ... but go and add some solo hours to make sure ther are no come backs.

SS

coodem
22nd Jun 2006, 19:49
If I were in your situation I would go and do a night rating. Pay for 3 hours night tuition, then go do 2.7 hours min night flying. Not the best time of year to do it. But if you can find an instructor it is managable in 2 nights of flying.

That will give you PPL + night and all you would have to pay is for 3 hours of instructor + plane.

Also the CAA will want a bit for the extra rating, just short of £80, but don't hold me to that.

You also need to make sure your total hours add up to at least 45, but this can include your night hours

pilotho
22nd Jun 2006, 19:56
thing is, my flying school set out this syllabus, none of the other pilots on my course flies anything different and i think they have their PPL.

all of us did 3 solo nav trips and 1 solo QXC.

i already have 51.6 hrs in total. this all of a sudden isnt making sense....

mcgoo
22nd Jun 2006, 19:58
why don't you ask your school about it?

coodem
22nd Jun 2006, 20:47
Not sure how you managed to do 3 cross countys and an additional xc qualifier. I thought the qualifier had to be af at least 150nm and had to accumulate at least 5 hours cross country time solo.

It took me around 3 hours just to do the qualifier, taking into account you had to land at 2 airfields other than your homefield and get it signed off. I doubt you could do this in any less than 2 hours, assuming you were flying an average trainer aircraft, that bumbles along at around 80-90knotts.

That means you have somehow managed to do 3 other "xc" in around 2 hours.

Are you sure you added your times up correctly?

I'm surprised your FTO never went through your log book before booking your flight test.

Im sure your flight test can be counted as P1, Mine did. (maybe 1 of the instructors can comment)

cjhants
23rd Jun 2006, 07:25
i`m surprised your school did not sort this before your test. i remember sitting down with the CFI over a cup of tea, and him going through my training records and log book to ensure everything was done before the test.
we found i was about 0.25 hrs short on stall/spin awareness, and 1 hour solo. did this a week before the test, so that when i passed, could send of the forms to CAA to get the brown folder.
perhaps you should speak to them and negotiate a discount on the extra time needed.
well done on the pass, and safe flying.:O

mazzy1026
23rd Jun 2006, 12:12
Not sure on this but I aways thought that if you done a skill test without having completed the necessary hours, then the test was invalid and a re-test is required? :confused:

Andy_RR
23rd Jun 2006, 12:30
not exactly the same thing as what Mazzy says, but LASORS does say:

• An applicant may not take the Skill Test until all
required flying training has been completed.

Section C1.4 - Page 4

pilotho
23rd Jun 2006, 17:46
i rang my instructor today and in actual fact the NAV trips which i did counts towards the cross country hours and that the cross country hours doesnt just mean the QXC where i have to land at 2 unfimilair airfields.

this means that i have in fact 7.2 hrs in cross country and overall 10.3 hours as solo. thus taking the hours over the 15 minima.

i hope this is correct. i just never thought that cross country meant the nav trips without landing aswell....:ugh:

coodem
24th Jun 2006, 17:02
Glad it is all sorted. XC is anything more than 3nm away from your airfield. So Im led to believe

Whopity
25th Jun 2006, 12:18
i've done the solo times and it only comes to 7.3 hrs?!
Then you were not qualified to take the Skill Test! JAR-FCL 1.030 clearly states that you may not take the Skill Test unless you have completed all of the flight training (25 hours dual + 10 hours solo) and all of the theoretical exams.

Who signed the certificate of trainig on your application form? Why did the examiner not check it? Technically your skill test is null and void!

Andy_RR
26th Jun 2006, 03:44
this means that i have in fact 7.2 hrs in cross country and overall 10.3 hours as solo. thus taking the hours over the 15 minima.

Keep up, Whopity!!!!

Well done pilotho! Get that application in just as soon as you can! I have my shiny new PPL(A) waiting for me for when I get back to the UK. Can't wait!

A

PS: 10 hours solo min, not 15, of which 5+ must be xc which can include qxc

acuba 290
1st Jul 2006, 00:57
can somebody maybe answer also how long it takes after posting application to get PPL issued?

acuba 290
1st Jul 2006, 01:00
i've heard that 40 Hour can be enought to take skill test, maybe because 5 Hours from 45 is possible to make in simulator?

Andy_RR
1st Jul 2006, 03:10
can somebody maybe answer also how long it takes after posting application to get PPL issued?

mine was posted on 19/05 and was returned on 11/06

A

BEagle
1st Jul 2006, 06:54
You should allow 10 working days (excluding weekends) from receipt at Gatwick as the latest date by when the licence should have been posted to you.

Andy_RR's experience sounds about right.

acuba 290
1st Jul 2006, 23:18
just posted my application today, we'll see when it comes back, i'll let you know