PDA

View Full Version : First cross country solo, need suggestions and tipps from you...

acuba 290
21st Jun 2006, 20:05
Hi everybody.
After i was helped here so much with your great tips and suggestions, i would like to ask you about your first solo cross country flight...
It looks like i'm going to do one next days and I am a little worryng about it.
It going to be some airdroms, where i've already been with my instructor, but anyway, just wanna know your experience and tips for first solo away from base airport;) Happy for any answers!

bladewashout
21st Jun 2006, 21:44
You can use fly.dsc.net to help with the planning (after you have done it manually!) and link to aeriel photos of the airfields which will help you recognise them from the air.

Prefacing first contact radio calls with 'G-XXXX, student pilot on first nav exercise is a <type> ....' will make sure they help you as much as they can.

BW

Glasgow_Flyer
22nd Jun 2006, 08:50
I would say just look forward to it and enjoy it - its possibly the only time you will ever get to fly into three different airports on one day - it is a total total buzz.

Take your camera - and get some shots on the ground at each - and just enjoy yourself!! Remember there is no way that your instructior would even think about letting you go if you wern't up to it or if the weather was poor - you clearly are ready for it and go and have a blast!

Let us know how it goes!!

Whirlybird
22nd Jun 2006, 08:57
My first solo cross-country was the absolute high point of my PPL course. Much, much, MUCH better than my first solo, which was over so quickly. I had a beautiful sunny day, out on my own on a route I'd flown before. I just kept looking at the empty seat next to me, and marvelling that I was actually doing this, actually flying myself somewhere, for real!

Acuba, make sure you have good weather; don't do it on a marginal day, even if your instructor thinks you're up to it. What's the point? Then make sure you've planned properly and know who to call etc if you get lost. Then......ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!! :ok:

High Wing Drifter
22nd Jun 2006, 09:35
My first solo xcountry flight was just a straight line to somewhere pretty easy to find 30 miles away and back again. Agree with Whirly, a different level to the first solo. A first solo xcountry to other airfields seems like quite a step from solo in the cuircuit.

Shinty
22nd Jun 2006, 16:22
Enjoy ur solo, i know i did a few months back. set your ndb to the nearest radio mast, listen to some good music, open the window and light a cigarette :) life just doesn't get better :ok:

pilotho
22nd Jun 2006, 16:44
where will u be goin your solo qcx?

i did mine from sandtoft to connington and leicester.

always said student solo qxc to the atc and it definetly helped alot i think. even east midlands let me straight through their airspace. restricted to not above 2000ft but who needs the altitude on a solo QXC.

take it as you did with your instructor, i am sure he pointed out the landmarks so you dont get lost, and dont worry those rivers will still be there when you fly solo! :)

acuba 290
22nd Jun 2006, 18:59
ok, it happend today. i did first solo without landing, just 70 miles away from home base. I feel myself still not so good and have some fear to be alone in cocpit, but hope it goes away one day, this bad feeling. Was some turbulence there and i was working on altitude some moment, because sometimes i just had up to 300ft difference in some moments. Actually i enjoy it, but had some difficulties with communication with approach frequence. I asked 5 times frequency change request, but nobody answered me and i was doing a holding at this point, because i could not enter airport zone without tower clearance and that's why i tried to leave approach frequency before that. So after 5 times nobody answered me, i changed to tower and got permission to enter airfield zone and got landing clearance on downwind as N2 after bif jet landed. In next days i have to make long solo with 3 airports, i'll let you know how it was.

acuba 290
29th Jun 2006, 21:33
thanx everybody for your tipps! I've done my Xcountry qualifying last sunday, passed my skill test yesterday and RT todayl it feels great!

High Wing Drifter
30th Jun 2006, 08:20
Congratulations acuba! Sounds like you took it all in your stride :ok:

172driver
30th Jun 2006, 09:14
Congrats :ok: :D !!

BRL
30th Jun 2006, 09:58
Glad to hear it. Well done :ok:

Lister Noble
30th Jun 2006, 12:25
Well done, and enjoy your future flying !
Lister:)

acuba 290
30th Jun 2006, 12:52
thanx everybody!;)